HELP!! 1Password8 extensions in Safari, Firefox and Chrome are going nuts!!!

Options
piepschuimlogo01nl
piepschuimlogo01nl
Community Member

Yesterday I installed the 1Password8 extensions in Safari, Firefox and Chrome.
Restart the computer, as I always do when I install software.
But when I use the extension, the browser is going nuts?
When I click on the icon the windows open to login to 1 Password8 and from there every time a new window opens, and it is going on and on and on...
It is impossible to stop. Only to quit the browser.
As soon you opens a browser, it start over and over again.
So now I removed all 1Password extensions.

Please, what is going o? Can someone help me with this. Or is it a bug?

Thanks,
Henno

1Password Version: 8.70
Extension Version: 2.3.3
OS Version: 12.4

Comments

• Hi @Henno, I'm sorry to learn that you've encountered this issue - it's certainly not the intended app behavior.

I'd love to get to the bottom of this for you. A preliminary question: do you have 2FA enabled (or did you, when this was occurring?)

Thanks, and we'll do what we can to help sort this out.

• piepschuimlogo01nl
    piepschuimlogo01nl
    Community Member
    Options

Hi Peter,

I did actually enable 2FA, before installed the extensions.
    Now I disabled 2FA and installed the extensions again. And now 1Password is working fine.

Thanks.

• piepschuimlogo01nl
    piepschuimlogo01nl
    Community Member
    Options

Now I turned on 2FA again. And now it seems to working fine. Strange...

• PeterG_1P
    edited June 2022
    Options

Hello @piepschuimlogo01nl, thanks for this additional information!

From what I've seen so far, this seems to occur (for some people) when 2FA is activated. It's great to hear that with the subsequent changes you've made, the issue no longer persists. If it does return, though, let us know and we'll be happy to dig further. We're working on this issue on our end, too. 🤝

ref: dev/core/core#14622

• piepschuimlogo01nl
    piepschuimlogo01nl
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks, I will do that.

• pappjo
    pappjo
    Community Member
    Options

I’ve posted elsewhere but I found that the 1Password for Safari extension causes problems for Safari, not as a result of 2FA. When installed Safari is very slow to launch with multiple bounces of the icon in the dock and the appearance of the spinning beachball. Both never occurred prior to installing the extension. Deleting the extension has restored normal Safari behavior. 1Password 8 is still installed and operating with no discernible issues. I found other references to this issue on the Mac App Store so I will continue to use 8 but without the extension.

• Thanks so much for the feedback @pappjo ! This is not expected behaviour. If you decide to install the 1Password for Safari extension again, and are still experiencing the same behaviour as you've described, please let us know so we can troubleshoot further.

Alvin

• pappjo
    pappjo
    Community Member
    Options

@Alvin.L_1P I see that there is an update - 8.7.1 to 1Password 8. Would this offer any improvement to the effect the extension has on Safari? I’m leery of re-installing 1Password for Safari as Safari has worked normally since I removed the extension. There seem to be many issues being reported in the forums currently and even though I’ve had no issue with the desktop 1Password 8 I’m hesitant to push my luck. Fortunately I primarily use my ios devices and not my laptop, 1Password works extremely well on them so I’m waiting to see the same reliability and functionality hopefully come to the mac version as well. I’ve left my wife’s laptop with 1Password 7 which has no issues, I would greatly suffer if she ran into some of this.

• Alvin.L_1P
    edited June 2022
    Options

Hey @pappjo :

The latest stable update (8.7.1) has resolved a couple of issues with 1Password for Safari. If you do decide to give 1Password 8 another try, and are still experiencing issues with version 8.7.1, please let me know and I'll be happy to help get things working again.

Avin

• pappjo
    pappjo
    Community Member
    edited June 2022
    Options

@Alvin.L_1P Thanks, I was waiting for an update to 1Password for Safari but if 8.7.1 has improved the issue I’ll give it another shot. As soon as I launched 1Password 8 on my mac it updated, or had been updated to 8.7.1. I thought I would have to manually do this. I wasn’t having any issues with the desktop app but the Safari extension really affected Safari - beachball, multiple bounces of the Safari icon, just looked like something unusual going on which is why I deleted it. But I’ll give it another go.

• Hopefully 8.7.1 resolves the issues that you were experiencing @pappjo ! Let me know how everything goes. 😊

• pappjo
    pappjo
    Community Member
    Options

@Alvin.L_1P I've reinstalled the extension. I'm not seeing the beachball but Safari does lag on initial launch with multiple icon bounces before the window appears. So there is still some issue with the extension but acceptable. Not as smooth a process as 1Password 7 was, yet. Feels a bit like a beta. I'll hold off for now on updating my wife's computer. Looking forward to additional refinement.

• pappjo
    pappjo
    Community Member
    Options

I have to amend that comment. I decided to restart my laptop to see if that would change the Safari launch behavior. That made it worse, there is a significant delay with multiple icon bounces plus the beachball before a Safari window appears. This extension definitely negatively impacts Safari, at least upon initial launch. As mentioned before I have seen references to this exact issue on the Mac App Store, so not an isolated issue. I will leave things as is since I primarily use my iOS devices but this is somewhat disappointing in that, I believe, most of us are used to the seamless and smooth function of 1Password 7. Hoping to see that duplicated eventually.

• Alvin.L_1P
    edited June 2022
    Options

Hey @pappjo:

Thanks so much for the update. We'll need to take a closer look at how 1Password is currently set up. Can you send us a diagnostics report and Safari console log from your Mac?

Attach the diagnostics and console log to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com. With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

ref: dev/core/core#8209

• pappjo
    pappjo
    Community Member
    Options

I've done that and the Support number is : [#GXC-42587-635]

• Thanks so much @pappjo ! Someone from our team will be in contact with you as soon as possible.

ref: GXC-42587-635

This discussion has been closed.