Behaviour of "Fill in Browser"?

ooga
ooga
Community Member

Is there a way to make the "Fill in Browser" shortcut ⌘\ fill the username and password but NOT submit them to the website? I have a use case where I want to edit the information before submitting it to the website.

Thanks!

1Password Version: 8.7.0
Extension Version: 2.3.3
OS Version: macOS 12.3.1

Comments

• Hello @ooga! 👋

Autosubmit is part of Universal Autofill and there isn't a way to disable it at the moment. That being said, we do have a feature request open to look into adding the ability to disable Autosubmit and I've added your request there. Out of curiosity, can you expand on your use case a little further? I'd love to know how disabling Autosubmit would help your workflow since that will help us push for the feature to be implemented.

I look forward to hearing from you. 😊

ref: dev/core/core#14506

• ooga
    ooga
    Community Member

@Dave_1P

Thanks for the quick reply, and apologies for the delay in mine.

For some websites, I store the first part of the password in 1P, let it autofill, and then I type in the final part of the password.

For example, if my password* for some website was 38value_puzzle+book, I would store 38value_puzzle+ in 1P. Then, when I go to the website, I click on the username field in the browser and choose the entry from 1P, and let it autofill the username and 38value_puzzle+. Last, I would append book to the password and hit the Enter.

I'd love to replace "click on the username field in the browser and choose the entry from 1P" with "use a keyboard shortcut** like ⌘\".

Thanks,
    Sameer

*Not a real password of mine.
    **Even better would be "double click my Apple Watch"!

• Hey @ooga,

I apologize for my misunderstanding - I'm not sure what you mean here:

I'd love to replace "click on the username field in the browser and choose the entry from 1P" with "use a keyboard shortcut** like ⌘\".

If you don't mind, may I ask you to further elaborate on what you'd like to see? Thanks so much.

I look forward to your reply.

Alvin

• ooga
    ooga
    Community Member

Hi @Alvin.L_1P

I’d love to have a keyboard shortcut that populates the username and password fields on a webpage, but does not submit the form.

Hope that’s clearer!

• ooga
    ooga
    Community Member

Hi @Alvin.L_1P @Dave_1P

I hope I've clearly explained what I'm trying to do (and why). Is there a way to do this with the current version of 1P, or is there a place I can submit a 'feature request'?

Thanks,
    Sameer

• @ooga

Thank you for the explanation! It sounds like you're "salting" your passwords by appending additional characters to what is saved in 1Password itself. Are you doing this as a security precaution? If you are then my colleague Zak wrote a post here where he explains why we don't recommend the practice: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/626536/#Comment_626536

is there a place I can submit a 'feature request'?

I can confirm that I've added your vote to the internal feature request that we have open to disable auto-submit for Universal Autofill. 😊

-Dave

• ooga
    ooga
    Community Member

@Dave_1P

Thanks Dave for submitting this as a feature request. Appreciate you linking Zak's post. But, like @Ryan7hompson , I want the extra security salting adds on top of the existing 1P features I already use (e.g. auto-lock).

Interestingly, when I use 1P in Firefox it behaves exactly how I want it to - it populates the username/password fields but does not submit the webform. No idea why 1P behaves this way in Firefox and not Safari (which I use far more frequently).
    Might be worth noting, I don't have the 1P extension installed in Firefox.

Thanks,
    Sameer

• Hi @ooga:

We were able to replicate that behavior with Firefox on our end, so we've filed an issue to take a closer look.

In the meantime, if you'd prefer using Autofill to not submit, adding 1Password to Firefox would result in the Autofill shortcut no longer submitting. Let me know how you get on with that!

Jack

• ooga
    ooga
    Community Member

Hi @Jack.P_1P

Thanks for that tip (and sorry for the lateness of this reply). I prefer to use Safari, so I'm hopeful the internal feature request is successful!

Thanks,
    Sam

• On behalf of Jack, you're welcome.

• Hi @ooga,

Hope you're doing well, I'm happy to share that the option to disable autosubmit has been added to our nightly build! If you're already on the Nightly release channel, you can try this out now. Otherwise, you can switch to see these changes once the next nightly build is released:

While this is the best way to get the latest from us, these releases also undergo less testing than their counterparts so if you prefer to use the Beta or Production releases, I encourage you to keep an eye on our release notes for upcoming fixes and improvements: 1Password for Mac Beta Releases

Don't hesitate to let us know if you have any questions or feedback. 😊

• ooga
    ooga
    Community Member

Hi Andrew,
    Thanks - this is great! Much appreciated 😃

• @ooga

Thanks for suggesting and pushing for this feature. 😊

-Dave

This discussion has been closed.