1pass8 - search bug

Larzous
Larzous
Community Member

I upgraded from 1pass 7 to 1pass 8 -- and I suddently wasn't able to access any of my gmail+stuff email addresses in search.

I have an email that is a test+otp@gmail.com (example) -- In the browser plugin I can search for otp, and it will show up, but if I search in the app itself for just 'otp' it won't find it.

This works in 1pass 7.9.828

1Password Version: 8.7?
Extension Version: 2.3.3
OS Version: Win10

Comments

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member

This problem is known for months. 1PW8 doesn't support searching substrings/partial words. AgileBits sacraficed this essential feature in order to support unicode. After waiting for about six months for a promised solution I doubt they are able or willing to fix this. The only thing they did was to add a well hidden workaround - Find. It's only available via keyboard shortcut or Edit menu:

• on macOS use ⌥⌘F
    • on Windows it's Strg + Alt + F

An input field is opened directly above the item list next to the sort button. Find works like 1PW7's search. Several users already requested a way to replace the broken search with find.

• Hello @Larzous and @viswis.

While we're continuously working to make improvements where possible, the Find option @viswis mentioned (thanks), should be helpful in the search situation you mentioned.

Details of this and other available keyboard shortcuts can be found in our guide: 1Password keyboard shortcuts

Let us know if you have any other questions.

• Larzous
    Larzous
    Community Member

I re-upgraded to 1PW8 after being prompted multiple times from V7 to finally upgrade. I still don't see this "ALT+F" search string find thing you talked about -- I still can ONLY find my passwords when scrolling down the list or doing so from the browser plugin, which is incredibly frustrating when just trying to login to applications without a browser open.

Where EXACTLY is this fine feature? BEcause typing into search and pressing ALF+F does nothing.

• Larzous
    Larzous
    Community Member
    edited August 2022

I see CTRL+F is listed as "find" in the shortcuts menu -- but all it does is take me to the "search all accounts" as if just typing in the search bar -- There is no way to find partial matches as described to me above.

Did they suddenly REMOVE the hidden 'find' feature you described? Because LOOSING functionality is never good.

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member
    edited August 2022

@Larzous Find is still available but the shortcut is CTRL + ALT +F. It looks like this - an additional find/search box just next to the sort order button:

CTRL + F (without alt) is another shortcut that sets the cursor into the top level search field and limits the search to the currently selected vault or category. Confusing? Yes😉

• ag_mike_d
    edited August 2022

Hello again @Larzous, and thanks @viswiz for stepping in here.

I wanted to make a note that since my previous comments, we've made some additional improvements to substring matches when searching in 1Password 8. This hasn't hit Production yet, but if you'd like to try it out now, it's available in the Beta: Use 1Password beta releases

If you have any other questions, please let us know. 👍

• Larzous
    Larzous
    Community Member

@viswiz -- Ah ty so much, originally you said "strg + alt + f" so I thought that was like alt+f after you entered your search string in the main search window.
    Its working now -- I just know that the CTRL+ALT+F works but isn't listed in the keyboard shortcut list:

@ag_mike_d -- I'm good for now, I don't need to download the beta client since this will work. I mainly use the puglin anyway, but SOMETIMES I need to find something and I just simply must be able to search stuff.

• ag_mike_d
    edited August 2022

Hi @Larzous - thanks for getting back to us. We'll hopefully see the substring search reaching Production soon. In the meantime, I'm glad to hear this working and will reach out to the team about updating this with the Ctrl + Alt + F with the keyboard shortcut. 👍

ref: IDEA-I-1718

This discussion has been closed.