ssh-agent asking for authentication with each terminal session

mpcsh
mpcsh
Community Member
edited May 2022 in SSH

I'm trying out the new ssh-agent feature, and I'm finding it frustrating that the agent seems to start fresh with each terminal session. It's frustrating because most of the time my laptop is docked to my desk setup in clamshell mode, and the Touch ID sensor isn't available, so it asks for my vault password. Is there a way to make the ssh-agent run in the background, such that I need to authorize only once, and then subsequent uses (in the same terminal or a new one) automatically happen?

1Password Version: 8.8.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.3.1 (21E258)

Comments

• steviec
    steviec
    Community Member

The same thing is happening to me. I usually use quite a few terminal windows, and requiring a password for each terminal session is pretty painful.

• Currently, having to authorize each terminal session separately is the expected behavior of the SSH Agent. However we are considering adding more customization options to cover use cases such as this one.

• @mpcsh @steviec In the latest beta, you can now configure the SSH agent authorization model to not prompt for each terminal tab, but only once per application. Let me know if that improves things for you!

• mpcsh
    mpcsh
    Community Member

@floris_1P thanks! this looks great!

• steviec
    steviec
    Community Member

Working for me, too; thanks for following up!

This discussion has been closed.