HELP! Want to revert from v8 back to v7 on Windows 11 Pro system

Options
55208wcgk
55208wcgk
Community Member

I've been a 1P user for years. Loved the app all the way through v7 but v8 is, well, not something that works for me. Can someone guide me through migrating from v8 back to v7? I'm running 1P on a Windows 11 Pro system. Thanks!

1Password Version: 8.7.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 11 Pro

Comments

• Damnatus
    Damnatus
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @55208wcgk,

let me try to help you through the process of going back to 1Password 7.

Option 1: Re-installing 1Password 7, then uninstalling 1Password 8. (Most safe)

Go to https://1password.com/downloads/windows/ and scroll down. On the right side you'll see "Using an old computer?" and there is the link to the 1Password 7 setup, which I also have linked here for your convenience.

As I don't know your setup and if you use 2 Factor Authentication and if you have more than one device, I recommend to first install 1Password 7 as you probably need to provide the second Factor when going through the setup.

This prevents you from being locked out of your 1Password Vault if the second Factor is only stored in there (which is advised against by 1Password).

After successfully installing 1Password 7 and setting up the sync - as you tried out 1Password 8, I assume you have a 1Password membership and not use local vaults -, you can uninstall 1Password 8 via Settings > Apps > Apps & features

After that you probably have to relink the 1Password Browser Extensions to 1Password 7.

Option 2: Uninstalling 1Password 8 then re-installing 1Password 7. (Most clean)

If you have more than one trusted device with 1Paassword (like a smartphone, laptop, etc.) or have the 2 Factor Authentication Token stored elsewhere (like Google Authenticator, Authy, Microsoft Authenticator) or if you do not use 2 Factor Authentication on 1Password, it is maybe more clean to first uninstall 1Password 8 and then install 1Password 7.

But you need to make sure that if 2 Factor Authentication is enabled you have access to it when the 1Password 8 app is uninstalled as otherwise you can be locked out of your vault permanently.

If you have no second device or use 1Password to store the Authentication Token and you want to go the route with first uninstall 1Password 8 and then installing 1Password 7, you could disable 2 Factor Authentication either on 1Password.com/.ca/.eu under My Profile > More Actions > Manage Two-Factor Authentication or on iOS/Android in the App under Settings > 1Password Accounts. Tap your account, then tap Turn Off Two-Factor Authentication).

I recommend to enable 2 Factor Authenticator after downgrading and use one of the suggested apps from 1Password's 2 Factor Authentication configuration guide.

I hope I was able to guide you through

• Damnatus
    Damnatus
    Community Member
    edited June 2022
    Options

Hi @55208wcgk ,
    as @ag_mike_d wrote in the other thread 1Password 7 and 1Password 8 cannot be used at the same time. Therefore option 1 in my suggestion does not work. (The installer will tell you a newer version is installed)

• Hi @55208wcgk, thanks for reaching out and I'm sorry 1Password 8 is not working quite well for you right now. As @Damnatus has thoroughly explained, you'll need to uninstall 1Password 8 and then install 1Password 7. You can find the download link for 1Password 7 here.

I hope that in the future, as we work more on the new app, you'll be able to switch over to it!

• 55208wcgk
    55208wcgk
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks for the suggestions. That said, there seem to be some dire warnings here about permanently being locked out of my vaults. That would be catastrophic. I do run 1P Families. I also have v7 installed on another laptop as well as an Android phone & an Apple iPad. I do not use 2-factor authentication. The v8 rev I want to roll back to v7 is a new install on a new laptop that never had v7. This all said, I just want to confirm that my safest path to get to v7 is to first uninstall v8 on my new laptop then install v7 as a new installation. Is this correct? Any concerns or gotchas I need to address? Thanks!

• AliH1P
    Options

Hey @55208wcgk, thanks for your question. The best way to ensure you always have access to your account is to save a copy of your Emergency Kit and taking the time to record your password on it: Get to know your Emergency Kit

With that said, since you mentioned that you have 1Password on multiple devices, it should be safe for you to uninstall 1Password 8 and install 1Password 7 afterwards. Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns!

Ali

• Damnatus
    Damnatus
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @55208wcgk,

as I'm the person who brought up the potential lockout I just wanted also to confirm what @ali.hazime said: With the setup you have, you're safe in progressing in the way you want: First uninstall v8, then install v7.

I'm sorry that I likely have frightened you, but I wanted to make sure that my guide would not lead to the catastrophic consequence of you being locked out. So I was extra cautious and stressed that point.

• Thank you for the confirmation, @damnatus. And you're quite right. 👍

This discussion has been closed.