Window Shifting when Unlocking 1Password 8

Options
Breezydust
Breezydust
Community Member

Hello,

I've recently upgraded to 1Password 8 for Mac and noticed this strange functionality when unlocking 1Password through the browser extension.

Previously, when unlocking, a prompt would appear directly in the browser. I'd be able to enter my password and have both the extension and the main app unlock.

Now, when I click on an in-browser button to start the unlocking process, the main app window jumps to the screen the browser is on, forces me to enter my password there, and then disappears once I've entered my password and had the app unlock. Is there a way to revert this behaviour to the previous version, where the extension and the main app worked independently of each other but shared an unlock state, rather than this new functionality where the main app is seemingly just a pop-up for password unlock?

1Password Version: 8.7.0
Extension Version: 2.3.3
OS Version: macOS 12.3.1

Comments

• Hey @Breezydust:

Great question! When 1Password in the browser is integrated with 1Password 8 and sharing a lock state, unlocking both the desktop app and 1Password in your browser uses the 1Password desktop app to unlock, rather than the browser.

Jack

• Breezydust
    Breezydust
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @Jack.P_1P

Is there any way to change this behaviour? In previous versions of 1Password, the unlocking process was bilateral, such that I could unlock the extension (within the extension window itself) and have the main app unlock, or vice versa. In 1Password 8, it seems as though the only option is to unlock from the main window. Trying to unlock through the extension window forces you to unlock in the main app, while also dragging the main app to the centre of the screen to allow for this unlock to happen. This seems like an obvious regression in functionality.

It can be "remedied" by unchecking "Integrate with 1Password App" in the extension settings, but this requires that you enter your password twice per session - once for the main app, and once for the extension.

Thomas

• Hey @Breezydust:

Thanks for following up. 1Password 8 operates a bit differently than 1Password 7 did, so the extension behaves slightly differently. The Safari extension included with 1Password 7 was more closely tied to the desktop app than the extension for 1Password 8.

While 1Password in your browser and 1Password 8 share a lock state, it's necessary for the desktop app to be the one unlocking, rather than the extension.

Jack

This discussion has been closed.