Safari vs. 1Password

aef110
aef110
Community Member
edited May 2022 in 1Password in the Browser

There are frequent pop-ups in Safari such as this one:

How can we tell which program is suggesting a password? Is this 1Password? If so, shouldn't there be a 1Password icon/logo displayed in the prompt? Or is it Safari / Apple Keychain?

I've found that if I accept Safari's suggested passwords, then that causes problems for 1Password since it doesn't also save them. (Turning off Safari/Keychain passwords is also not an option, so I'm afraid I'm stuck with both.)

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

1Password Version: 8.8.0
Extension Version: 2.3.3
OS Version: 12.4
Referrer: forum-search:safari or 1password

Comments

• Hi @aef110:

That specific prompt you've shown is 1Password, not Keychain. Generally speaking we'd recommend using 1Password as the only password manager, but if you'd like to use both Keychain and 1Password for Safari at the same time, you can do that.

1. Open 1Password for Safari's settings by right clicking the 1Password icon in Safari's toolbar, then disable "Show autofill menu on field focus"
    2. Close the Settings page
    3. Quit and relaunch Safari

From then on, the 1Password inline menu will only display when you click the 1Password icon on the field, allowing you to use both Keychain and 1Password together.

Let me know how you get on with that!

Jack

• CyrilH
    CyrilH
    Community Member

Hi Jack,
    I understand that you're recommending the exclusive use of 1Password, but the 'hide my email' option in safari is interesting enough to keep both.
    Would it be possible for 1Password to automatically mark as 'Never Save' in Safari passwords all the websites for which 1Password has a password?
    Cheers, Cyril

This discussion has been closed.