Upgrade to Version 8 -- many functions no longer work

jasimon9
jasimon9
Community Member
edited June 2022 in 1Password in the Browser

I have not been able to properly use 1P anymore.

1. Show stopper issue: when I try to create a new login, when I click on the suggested password, I get a strange screen blocking any further action.

This means this function does not work. So I have to take manual steps to work around it.

1. Annoyance issue: once again the password generator has been moved somewhere I cannot find. Sometimes I want to generate a password not while creating a login. So I want to be able to access the generator directly. Where is it?
  2. There are sites where I just cannot get 1P to work. www.balticnetworks.com wanted me to confirm my login. Could not get 1P to work with that function on that site.
  3. I previously and for over 10 years have had the 1P lock function set to 120 minutes, which is a good compromise for me. That is no longer supported and I have to choose between 1 hour and 4 hours.
  4. I want to fill out the "1Password Extension Versions" below. I click on the link to "find extension version". I get a page telling me how to keep 1P up to date.
  5. Shortly after posting the above, I needed to create a new login. 1P is not working. On the email address, the the confirmation email address and the password, 1P offers a pull down, but the items cannot be selected. The system just does not respond. Following is an example.

Bottom line: Version 8 is broken so badly as to be non-functional for me. Is it possible to downgrade back to Version 7?

1Password Version: 8.7.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 10.15.7

Comments

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member

Here is another case of a website that just does not work:

• dvouill
    dvouill
    Community Member

Actually, the "open and fill" button doesn't even work on their own site...

Version 8 is a catastrophe!!!!! Not just because of that, but the sheer number of broken functions, useless steps, etc...

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member

I complained above about no longer having the 120 timeout for locking 1P.

That complaint is slightly misplaced, because setting it to 4 hours does not work either. I find I very often have to enter my password to unlock.

Very many other rough spots that I have not documented yet. Here are some off the top of my head:
    1. When unlocking there is often a pause for 5-10 seconds before it actually unlocks.
    2. When clicking on the icon in a login field, often nothing happens.
    3. When a login pulldown should offer choices, often nothing happens. Sometimes it fixes if you refresh the page.

PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO DOWNGRADE FROM THIS ALPHA VERSION BACK TO VERSION 7!!!

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member

1P is now asking for the password to unlock on every use. If I unlock it, and click a 1P function, such as the 1P icon in a password entry field, it again asks. It is in permanent "ask for password on every use" mode.

PLEASE TELL ME HOW TO DOWNGRADE FROM THIS ALPHA VERSION BACK TO VERSION 7!!!

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member

I opened this topic five days ago. Normally I get a response before this point. I conclude that due to the many problems with this release your staff is getting hammered.

I am including here another screen shot to show what happens when the 1P extension for Safari is accessed:

• woodmeister50
    woodmeister50
    Community Member

I am encountering the same issue as @dvouill with 2/3 to 3/4 of the sites not being able to autofill, including this site!

This is a the very basic functionality of 1Password that should never be broken on a broad scale like this! I realize an occasional site may be problematic but 2/3 to 3/4?????

• Hey @jasimon9:

Thanks for following up, and I'm sorry for the delay here. That definitely isn't the experience we want you to have when using 1Password for Safari. Did you have any additional extensions installed when you ran into the issue with the Login saving window in your original post? If you do, let me know if removing them improves your state of play.

Additionally, it sounds like 1Password for Safari may not be communicating properly with the 1Password desktop app. I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Mac)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member

I am not sure I can send you diagnostics at this point, because in desperation I tried to go back to 1P version 7. But that is not working properly either. When Safari loads the 1P icon is in the toolbar, but then it disappears upon clicking in the browser.

I have a mess now. I don't want to bother with version 8 any more. I'd like to get a clean install of version 7. Can you give me instructions?

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member

What seems to have happened is that the 1P extension got messed up. The only way to get it back was to reinstall it. But in so doing, it is back to the Version 8 extension version I believe. So now I have Version 7 on the desktop and version 8 in Safari. Unfortunately the issues I reported above are mostly with the extension. So I am in an inconsistent situation.

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member
    edited June 2022

I have attempted to uninstall Version 8. Version 7 runs, but the extension cannot be added to the Safari task bar. I can get the 1P icon to show in the Customize Toolbar, but it refuses to be dragged into the toolbar.

1P version 8 extension is completely non-functional. If it is installed, clicking on its icon just gives a blank dialog box.

In 1P version 7 desktop "open and fill" no longer works. I am forced to use the 1P version to manually copy the URL into the address bar, then manually enter the username and copy the password.

I really miss how 1P used to just work and would like a pathway back to that.

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member
    edited June 2022

The situation kept getting worse. The combination of the desktop version 7 plus the extension version 8 would not work. I could not get the extension downgraded. So there was no way to get back to version 7 on both desktop and extension. To get any functionality I was forced for every login to use the version 7 desktop by copying the URL into the browser, then copying the username and password from 1P to the browser login dialogs.

I was hesitant to uninstall because I did not want to lose my passwords. It seems from the discussion that unless you deliberately remove the data with extra steps the data would be safe, and you could access it at 1password.com in any case. So in desperation, I took the plunge.

I first removed from the Applications folder 1Password7.app, 1Password.app (version 8) and 1Password for Safari.app. I did not want to trash them so just moved them elsewhere. However, this caused problems as somehow the apps are linked. Later to overcome these issues I did drag the desktop versions into the Trash. Before it would let me move 1Password.app from the desktop to the Trash, I had to Quit the desktop application, even though it was running from the Applications folder. So the two instances are somehow linked.

Next I downloaded and reinstalled Version 8. Then 1Password for Safari from the App Store. I added the extension icon to the browser toolbar. This was problematic before during the bastardized install because the icon would not show up in the Customize Toolbar dialog.

I clicked on the browser extension, and the dialog opened. I used it to open and fill a website, and it worked. This also was not working during the bastardized install. However, trying to use the extension a second time, once again reverted to the blank dialog, exactly like the screen shot I uploaded on June 8.

So there is still something seriously wrong and the extension is not usable at all even with a clean uninstall/reinstall. However a few tests of open and fill from the desktop app shows that now working once again. So that is better than before. I have not yet tested the new credentials creation functions since this reinstallation. I will post again later with those results.

I would prefer to just go back to a clean installation of Version 7, because that worked, whereas Version 8 seems to have a lot of problems, as I mentioned above and also mentioned by many others.

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member
    edited June 2022

MORE INFORMATION pertaining to Safari:

After more playing around I think I got back to a pure install of Version 8 desktop and extension for Safari. In Firefox it was odd because what seemed to work was to install the V8 extension, the extension icon was dimmed out, the uninstall the V7 extension, and then the V8 extension was usable.

Regarding above comments, here is more information that I hope will be helpful:

1. The first screen shot I showed above that occurs during creating of new credentials with the long vertical while panel with no apparent way to move forward: the workaround is to scroll down, and at the bottom you can then see controls to Save, etc. I will capture a screen shot the next time it occurs showing the controls that are below the fold.
    2. The first time the extension icon is clicked in Safari, the extension appears normally. On a second attempt to use the extension, you get the blank white dialog. This apparently is only in Safari, but not in Chrome.
    3. Generally the responsiveness of the extension is slow. When you take an action, "nothing happens" for a bit. But then either after a couple of seconds the expected action happens, or if you try the action again after a few seconds, it works as expected. So the general impression is that there is latency in operations of the extension in Safari, which makes it harder to use.
  • paul.m_1p
    paul.m_1p
    1Password Alumni

Hey @jasimon9 - Thanks for taking the time to provide all these details. I'm truly sorry for the experience you've had thus far, and I'd love to help get things back on track.

At this point, after all the uninstalls and reinstalls you've done I want to make sure there are no lingering files on your device causing issues.

I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Mac. Make sure to use the 1Password 7 method that involves the 1Password troubleshooting utility:

How to send a 1Password diagnostics report

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much, and I look forward to assisting you further! 🙂

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member

Here is an update:

First the good news: I was using Catalina where all those issues were reported and were consistently repeatable. For other purposes, not related to 1P, a few days ago I upgraded to Monterey 12.4. Many of those issues, including the worst ones, no longer appear.

For the bad news: there are still some issues, but mostly so far in the area of smoothness. Here those ones are:

1. There seems to be some latency especially when first opening 1Password. It used to open instantly, but now it usually takes several seconds. However, there seems to other latency when accessing a login, so that it seems that "nothing happens", and it might say there is no such login, but then it shows up.
    2. Sometimes when clicking on the extension in Safari when 1P is not logged in, the logging in screen just hangs on the page. It looks like this:

The spinner is spinning. It makes you think that 1P is locked up, and this was quite frustrating for a while. Then I discovered that that dialog can be ignored, and if one navigates back to the login form, 1P is responsive and provides the login credentials. So the problem just seems to be that the dialog does not close when it should.

I will let you know of any other issues.

• jasimon9
    jasimon9
    Community Member

Today another new pattern that I never saw before. I was logging in to a bank. Lately when I click on the extension icon, it says "loading" for a number of seconds, then "unlocking", then a login screen that opens in a separate window. Today it was different. After the "loading", the same dialog just opened and asked for my 1P password.

After entering it the 1P extension opened and I started the login. I filled the password. This is a website that has a separate login and password screen. When the password screen showed, the 1P separate window appeared and I had to enter my 1P password a second time.

At first I though "this is better" when the extension opened. But now I see it is another variation which is probably not what is intended--namely to enter the 1P password twice.

I am passing this along in the hope that it will help you.

This discussion has been closed.