Chrome extension is not working

124»

Comments

• jeffyjaffa
    jeffyjaffa
    Community Member

Hey Jack @ 1Password. I've been using 1Password for about 15 YEARS.... us "early adopters" spread the word, and built the company up to what it is today. WE HELPED the company become what it is. The fact you can now pay "Ryan Reynolds" to star in your commercials, and the fact you're valued at over $6 Billion dollars is BECAUSE OF US spreading the word since 2006. And now you just throw us out on the street? I remember Dave Teare sending out emails in the early days saying how the customers meant everything. Maybe you should read some of those early emails. Now it's just all about the money. Shame on Dave.

• chuglandis
    chuglandis
    Community Member

everyone should just forget posting here in a nice quiet corner of the net where the staff can fob you off and take it to twitter. Its wild that they'll probably pay more in PR management than dev costs to fix it but here we are.

• haitaoma
    haitaoma
    Community Member

Realy disappointing. A promised "lifetime software" only worked for a good 4 years.

• woodennickle
    woodennickle
    Community Member

@ag_chantelle - in an earlier post you state that nobody at 1password ever said it was a "lifetime license". When I sent an email about the Chrome issue, I got a long response from someone named "Wahid", the email included the phrase "your license for 1Password 6 hasn't expired (and never will)". Not the exact words, but essentially the same thing. Ok, I can continue using the app I paid for, but only if I'm willing to use an older, less secure version of the browser? It sounds like the issue is just that Chrome wants the extension to be signed. I have a feeling that's a pretty easy thing to do if you wanted to, but this is a convenient excuse to try to push people to the subscription model.

I was also carefully instructed that I could get 50% off a subscription for 3 years, but only if I sign up directly through 1password, because otherwise "1Password is unable to assist with any billing inquiries such as credits, discounts, promotions and refunds". That's a little dishonest - the real reason is obviously because if I sign up via Apple or another party, you'll get less money. Apple would handle billing inquiries in that case.

I get that you want to switch to a subscription model in order to have a consistent revenue stream, but I feel like this has been handled badly, and it's left a bad taste in my mouth. I feel the insulted by the way your support people communicated half truths with me, and if they had been more transparent I probably would have upgraded by now. As it is now, I'm on the fence. I don't trust the company after the way this was handled, and can't quite bring myself to pull the trigger on a subscription, even with 50% the first 3 years. Since 1password6 is now less functional than Chrome, which will also save my passwords and sync them across devices, I might as well just use that.

I'm sure the company is fine, but seeing it so hungry for money raises a few yellow flags for me - particularly when I'm being asked to store my passwords in your cloud instead wherever I choose...

• NicM
    NicM
    Community Member

+1 to all that's been said and that your shift to a sub only business model was a big FU to folks who helped you lift your product off the ground, and folks who still believe in buying a full license vs. getting hooked on a subscription.

Now the license is obsolete after you advertised it as "lifetime" and the product is becoming worthless. Your sub spam pop-up msgs are atrocious and you still can't get around offering the folks who got a license an equal upgrade path. I don't have any intention of subscribing, but wouldn't mind buying a license with some carry-forward guarantees. Other than that, your product isn't really a differentiator anymore with Google and others offering a great alternative cross devices...

• dalepeak
    dalepeak
    Community Member

I hate it when a piece of software I've bought no longer works and isn't getting more updates. But at the same time it has always been quite obvious to me that the standalone purchase option was no different to the same option with other software products. I was paying a single fee for a particular version of the product. That version was mine to use without paying any further fees. There was never any implied support and updates for the rest of my life.

• dalepeak
    dalepeak
    Community Member

Your license didn't become obsolete. If I downloaded 1Password 4 I could still enter my key and it would be accepted. The key works forever, but I am surprised that so many people thought buying a license key meant getting updates for the rest of your life. My keys for Microsoft products from 15 years ago still work, but I have no expectation that Microsoft will fix any bugs I encounter.

That said it seems to me releasing a fixed version of the extension should be a fairly small amount of work and simply from a public relations point of view would be a reasonable goodwill gesture.

• mb77845
    mb77845
    Community Member

I still cannot believe this browser certificate fix has not been done to avoid all of these long time customers from being so screwed over.

I bet the fix to update the certificate would have taken less time and resources than replying with snooty comments about how we can submit a survey, buy cloud password software and what the definition of is is.. for lifetime. Shame on you 1Password.. I have literally referred you to > 50 paying customers to you all and ceasing to refer new customers to 1Password will far outway any money they could milk me for with v7. I will just continue to be reminded of their business practice each time I have to use Firefox or manually open the 1password software instead of using the Chrome browser plugin. Each time i get the emails from Dave Teare I will be thinking the complete opposite of what I used to think.. Loyalty and value to customers is less than AgileBits thinks we deserve. There is a way to resolve this and we will see if they change their stance and champion this issue or have it be the hill their many great years of work is to die on for the older loyal customers. How many of us really moving all to v7 could be worth this bad karma for them? We do not want new features, just update the dang browser cert. done.

• uogecko
    uogecko
    Community Member

Very disappointing. I've used 1Password for many, many, many years and have promoted it to many 3rd parties who needed password storage solutions. My lifetime license is pretty worthless without this functionality.

• ViceCom
    ViceCom
    Community Member

I use Chrome 99.0.4844.51 version this is the last version working whit the plugin.
    And block Chrome updates.
    i understand this is a security risk.

1 Password client support says Chrome 99 was a new release and 1password extension stopped working in Chrome version 98.
    Bullcrape.

Signing an extension could be done eyes closed...
    Just be honest...

A lifetime License was a honey trap...

The only reason to use 1password in the first place was a browser-friendly app.

Now its an un-friendly app

• john925
    john925
    Community Member
    edited October 2022

All you complainers need to read the license agreement. It specifically states that upgrades to other software may eventually make any specific version of 1password stop working and require upgrading to a newer version. It also says that your license is only for the specific version you purchased and that updates only continue until there is a new version released. You clearly haven't read the license agreement.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160304084145/https://agilebits.com/home/licenses

• NiklasHolmstrom
    NiklasHolmstrom
    Community Member

We bought a lifetime license for a functional service. No asking for new features just UPFRONT payment for the service and upkeep of the service to remain functional.

AgileBits and 1Password decided to Not honor the upkeep of a functional lifetime service that we have already paid for.

AgileBits and 1Password does not deserve any more of our money.
    Personally I would rather pay double their fee for ANY other service.

• rschletty
    rschletty
    Community Member

FIlmora Buckles Under Public Pressure. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy1HiWGchMg

With enough of an outcry, a company can reverse its position. Promises are promises.

john925, if the license agreement for 1Password versions up through 5 is as you state, then AgileBits should have called it a "Conditional Lifetime License".

My 1998 Toyota Sienna still works. The manufacturer did not install a kill switch into the vehicle, and the roads I drive are unchanged. I think that we can fairly refer to sunsetted lifetime/perpetual software as "The Tyranny of Bloatware Technology".

The Adobe-Apple duo did a number on Adobe's early and faithful license holders of Creative Suite (notably CS6). I can still run CS6 on my 2009 Mac Pro with mac OS Mojave (but no higher). Adobe CS6 has everything I need as a professional designer. I don't need the extra bells and whistles. I do have macOS Monterey with Creative Cloud on my 2016 MacBook Pro, but Photoshop often stalls for no good reason and I am getting video glitches as I drag or resize objects.

• moss
    moss
    Community Member

Historically, AgileBits has been very generous with upgrades. Your purchase entitles you to free updates until the next major version upgrade. That means if you buy a license for version 2 of a product, you will get all 2.x releases for free, but upgrading to version 3 might require another purchase.

I'm still waiting for you to fix this issue. It's not a major upgrade of browser and you don't have to be very generous, just be reasonable, and responsible.

This discussion has been closed.