To protect your privacy: email us with billing or account questions instead of posting here.

Merging existing users into a family

Options
Tangible409
Tangible409
Community Member

My son and I each have individual 1Password subscriptions. I want to upgrade mine to the Family plan, and then include him as a family member and drop his subscription. What’s the best way to get his existing items without manual re-entry?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Tangible409 !

This is what you are looking for:
    https://support.1password.com/add-remove-family-members/#get-help

Your son is getting a new account. He needs to sign in to both accounts in one of the apps. After signing in, he has to move (or maybe just copy) all of his entries from the old account into his new account. Then he should sign out from his old account. If everything worked and all of his entries are in his new family account, then he is able to cancel the subscription.

I hope this helps...

• Hey @Tangible409:

@DenalB covered exactly what I would have said (thanks for the assist! 😎). In short, he'll need to add the new account to his 1Password app, and move or copy all the items into his new Private vault. He can then cancel his subscription for his individual account.

Let me know how he gets on with that!

Jack

• Tangible409
    Tangible409
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you both. We will give it a try.

• Blake
    Options

Hey again @Tangible409! 👋

Just checking in to make sure you were able to get that data moved into your 1Password Families account and all is well. 💙

• Tangible409
    Tangible409
    Community Member
    Options

My son’s part hasn’t happened yet. After setting up the family account and creating him as a family member I tried to share my personal vault with him, and eventually realized that’s not supported. So I set up a new vault, shared with him, and moved the contents of the personal vault there. That was easy. We will tackle his part soon. He’s nervous about losing everything somehow, through a bug or a misstep. May have to take a Valium beforehand.

• Hey @Tangible409!

I have faith you'll do just fine. 💙 Just take your time, and should anything not seem right, we're here to help.

This discussion has been closed.