signing in to a work computer station

Options
rholden
rholden
Community Member

My office computer requires I sign in to use it, using my regular work password. But of course when I turn on my computer, and the sign in comes on, I cannot access the internet to use 1Password to fill in the password. I imagine there is no way to use 1Password in this circumstance, and that I have to just memorize an easily remembered password and use that for office account. Right? It's a shame, because once logged in, it would be great to use 1Password's randomly created password to log into my many work accounts.

1Password Version: 8.7.1
Extension Version: 2.3.3
OS Version: Win 10

Comments

• Hello @rholden, thanks for this question. πŸ‘‹

Currently there isn't a way to use 1Password to fill your device's user sign-in password, because 1Password has to be loaded after you log into your user account on that device. However, there are ways you can approach this:

1. As you mentioned, you can select an easily memorable password yourself, depending your situation and security needs. But you can also:
    2. Use 1Password to generate a memorable -style password for you. This will be stronger than most human-created passwords, but still something that can be reasonably memorized.

You can create an item in 1Password for this, too, just in case you forget - and that could still be accessible at your workstation if you have 1Password on iOS or Android. Forgot the password, or are still memorizing it? Use 1Password on the phone for reference, and eventually it becomes muscle memory.

once logged in, it would be great to use 1Password's randomly created password to log into my many work accounts.

To make sure I understand, are you referring to work accounts you use once you're logged into Windows on a given device? If so, 1Password should be able to help with that. It's the pre-user login phase where things get tricky. 🧐

I'll be interested to know how these suggestions work for you - and we'll keep looking at ways to make 1Password useful in as many situations as possible!

• rholden
    rholden
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Peter. Very helpful.
    Bob

• Hi @rholden, sure thing - we're always happy to chat security. Best regards πŸ‘‹

This discussion has been closed.