Excessive SSH Key Requests

bendalton
bendalton
Community Member
edited June 2022 in SSH

I really like the SSH key feature. Since some of my apps will try to make github connections using my SSH key in the background even when I'm not actively in front of my computer, I am frequently encountering the very frustrating problem of having to dismiss dozens of dialogs asking to allow for SSH key access when I return.

It is very likely that I would stop using this feature if this isn't addressed somehow.

Thanks!

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Ā«1

Comments

• a.jaffe
    a.jaffe
    Community Member

Agreed -- the default behaviour of the command-line ssh utility is less intrusive. Are there any other benefits to using 1P as the ssh server?

• sammarks
    sammarks
    Community Member

I second this. For the record, it looks like this may have been introduced in newer versions? GitHub Desktop is the application causing the pain for me (since it seems to poll in the background for updates). Whenever I come back to my computer each morning I have 10+ SSH requests to dismiss.

In earlier versions with the SSH feature, this wouldn't happen and I would only get one request whenever GitHub Desktop next requested my SSH key while I was actively using my computer.

The natural solution to me seems to just replace requests inside a queue as they come in. So if one request comes in and I haven't responded to it by the time the second request comes in, cancel the first request and present the confirmation for only the second request. If the second request is never responded to by the time the third request comes in, replace that one etc etc.

• bendalton
    bendalton
    Community Member

I just came back from a weekend of not using my work Mac to this problem again. I counted. Before I could interact with 1Password, I had to dismiss 121 of these dialogs!

• Hi folks, thank you for taking the time to describe this issue in detail, and especially to @bendalton for the initial report.

If you're able to share the version of 1Password you're currently using, and the OS you're on, that would greatly help our efforts to investigate as we go forward.

Thank you again - and I'll hope to have more for you on this!

ref: dev/core/core#14789

• rblenkinsopp
    rblenkinsopp
    Community Member

I just wanted to add to this and say that the feature is great, but as other have said there are an excessive number of dialogs, both overnight and during normal workflows.

The remembering behaviour for authorisation per process is really inconsistent. GitHub Desktop will normally ask for one request and then continue to work without subsequent requests for a while, but at some point, it fails and consistently asks for every request after that.

Likewise, Jetbrain IDEs (Pycharm, Clion etc.) all request SSH auth through a jetbrains-toolbox entity and these requests for a key unlock occur on every request, rather than once for the process. This normally means a git push requires over 2-3 authorisations which is not a great user flow.

In short, I love this feature and the direction of travel, but until the remembering behaviour and mass of dialogues are resolved I'm going to have to stop using it for now as it's rather getting in the way.

This is on Windows 11 and with 1Password Version "1Password for Windows 8.7.0" (80700095, on BETA channel)

• Thank you for letting us know, @rblenkinsopp. We want this to be a seamless process for you!

• rblenkinsopp
    rblenkinsopp
    Community Member

No worries, on re-reading I'm aware my message probably sounded overly negative which wasn't really my intention, I really want this feature to be a success, and it's great to see 1Password investing in it :)

• Hi @rblenkinsopp, no problem whatsoever! We appreciate your enthusiasm for this, and want it to be a snap for you to use. While I can't promise anything vis-a-vis future updates to 1Password, I'll be happy to follow this issue internally as things go forward, and hope we can provide an update on it soon.

• caffeine
    caffeine
    Community Member

I just upgraded from 1Password 7 to 8 (8.7.0) on macOS and noticed the same issue. Of course I immediately started to use the SSH keys feature šŸ™‚ but the constant dialogs are a bit annoying. It would be nice to have an option for remembering the authorizations for - let's say - 24 hours or some other options for tweaking this behaviour. Thank you!

• th3fallen
    th3fallen
    Community Member

i came just to report this same thing, or even a way to whitelist particular apps to always allow access to the key would be phenomenal. as my IDE auto fetches from git every 15m the requests are maddening

• Thank you for these reports, folks. I can appreciate your observations here and am passing them along to the appropriate team! šŸ”‘

ref: dev/core/core#14789

• adrianb93
    adrianb93
    Community Member

It seems less excessive now in 1Password for Mac 8.8.0, but now "GitHub Desktop" completely gives up and says "authentication failed". I have to restart the app regularly.

What I would like to see to resolve this problem is - configuring "session duration" for SSH keys seperate to 1Password's auto-lock.

• PeterG_1P
    edited May 2022

Hi @adrianb93, thanks for these details. I've passed them on to our developers so they can consider this. I appreciate knowing how this is working in the current version for you, and what you'd like us to improve!

• moose
    moose
    Community Member

I am seeing the issue on macOS Monterey Version 12.4 (21F79) with 1Password for Mac 8.7.0, 80700098, on PRODUCTION channel

I think a good solution would be for 1P to silently fail the requests for SSH keys if the Mac is asleep, locked, or running screensaver.

• PeterG_1P
    edited June 2022

Hi folks, this should now be improved with today's release: 8.7.1. If you'd like to give it a try, we'd love to know if this resolves the issue for you!

https://releases.1password.com/

• alihamze
    alihamze
    Community Member

Hey, I'm running 1Password for Mac 8.8.0 (80800119) and it's still occurring. I started recording after dismissing ~8 of these. I started moving the mouse at the end just so it didn't look like a loop https://share.cleanshot.com/tH3EofGyCDmYCLWdkNKl

• achimnol
    achimnol
    Community Member

I found another consequence of this issue. When the "Allow Access" popup is open and I terminate the 1password app using the tray icon, it crashes. I think this crash began to happen in 80800119.

• @alihamze and @achimnol, the issue of having a stack of authorization prompts show up at once should be resolved in the latest nightly. Let us know if you still encounter excessive prompting after updating.

• @achimnol Thanks for reporting the crash! We will look into it.

• alihamze
    alihamze
    Community Member

Hey, I just got another stack of these today. I'm running 8.8.0 (80800126)

• Thanks for reporting, @alihamze! Please update to the latest nightly (80800142), the issue should already be fixed.

• alihamze
    alihamze
    Community Member

Hey, I'm running on 80800143 and it's still occurring https://share.cleanshot.com/NJ6TZ1SjTlNfQohN55vM

Is there any way I can help debug this? Not sure what logs I can safely submit (without leaking any info) that would help here

• tonkku107
    tonkku107
    Community Member
    edited June 2022

I recently set the SSH_AUTH_SOCK env variable to be able to use the ssh agent with Dolphin (the KDE file manager) and the remotes feature but it seems I am getting requests from /usr/lib/kf5/kioslave5 multiple times per every folder navigation. Is there something preventing you from simply remembering the authorization per application for some amount of time?
    I am also running on version 80800143.

• krbr
    krbr
    Community Member

I'm running 80800156 and for me it's also still occurring, especially with the Tower git application, sometimes only one or a few, sometimes more than ten requests. Maybe it's something to do with Tower requesting the key for fetching in the background while the Mac is locked (the longer since I locked the Mac, the more of these requests I see).

• @alihamze @krbr Thanks for reporting this! It turns out there was another underlying issue that caused excessive prompting. It should be fixed in the latest nightly release. Please let us know if you still encounter it.

• @tonkku107 Thanks for reporting. Could you tell us what operating system (and what which version) you are using?

• tonkku107
    tonkku107
    Community Member

@Marton.Soos_1P I am using Arch Linux with kernel 5.18.7. The version of the Dolphin file manager is 22.04.2 (KDE plasma 5.25.2, KDE Frameworks 5.95.0, Qt 5.15.5), 1Password version is now 8.8.0-165.

• Panzer1119
    Panzer1119
    Community Member

I'm running 80800177 (Nightly) on Windows 11 and 1Password still prompts me every single time when the JetBrains IDE WebStorm tries to use the SSH Key.

This discussion has been closed.