Extension no longer works on firefox with private browsing and no search history

Options
billk69
billk69
Community Member
edited May 2022 in 1Password in the Browser

been using 1password since feb 2008.

huge change. i have been using on firefox with private browsing enabled and never store search history.

now 1Password requires these critical security features to be disabled!! in order for the extension to work

"Can't store local data.. You'll need to turn off "never remember history" and "always use private browsing mode" to use 1password

Why????
if not a bug, .. with this and some basic UI capabilities not working in safari, how do I roll back to 7

1Password Version: 8.7
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: mac 12.3.1

Comments

• Hi @billk69:

Thanks for reaching out. Our newer extension, 1Password in the browser, stores some details locally in the context of your browser. Because it's operating "independently" from the 1Password desktop app, it needs to write some files into Firefox's local storage.

If you'd like to continue using Firefox in private browsing mode as well as 1Password, rather than using the "always use private browsing mode" option, instead open a new private browsing window after launching a regular Firefox window.

Jack

• billk69
    billk69
    Community Member
    Options

HI Jack - thanks for the info. Do I need to check this box when installing the extension (regular firefox browser mode)

• billk69
    billk69
    Community Member
    Options

figured it out. checked the box and tried your approach. 1PWD now works in private browsing.

what does 1PWD access and record when it is used in a firefox private browsing window?

• Hi @billk69:

Glad to hear that worked for you. Whether or not you're using Firefox in a private browsing window, 1Password in the browser doesn't record any of your browsing history. We have a page here discussing the permissions used by the extension: About 1Password browser permissions

Jack

This discussion has been closed.