1Password 8 and the Safari Extension just don't work (reliably)

Options

MacOS: 11.6.6 (20G614)
1Password: 8.7.0 [80700098, on PRODUCTION channel]
Safari: 15.4 (16613.1.17.1.13, 16613)
1Password for Safari: 2.3.3

TL;DR - the Safari extension randomly works and it is a very low probability that it does.

I have been a long time 1Password user (first picked it up in a Macheist bundle in January 2008) and love the product. There have been hiccups at each of the major release but this particular combo of 1Password 8 and the Safari extension (coming from the App store) just seems like it is still a alpha product. Issues that I have seen:

1. Unlocking 1Password from browser's toolbar leads to either just a spinning Loading message (until escaped) or after 4-5 seconds is asks for my master password
  2. Passwords are sometimes not fully filled which leads to login failures
  3. CMD-\ usually doesn't do anything
  4. Suggestions work sometimes for the webiste
  5. For stored passwords where there are multiple websites for that password, it appears only the first can be searched or found.

This behavior is a huge regression from the silky smooth experience of 1Password 7.

If I have the desktop app open, behavior changes a bit for the better. CMD-\ seems to bring up suggestions quicker. I haven't done an exhaustive test to figure out which combinations work and which don't. The reviews of the extension definitely echo my experience.

My question is when will this all get sorted out?

1Password Version: 8.7.0
Extension Version: 2.3.3
OS Version: macOS 11.6.6

Comments

• McFly
    McFly
    Community Member
    Options

Having similar issues and concerns. Today 1Password for Safari isn't even loading. Hoping for a resolution!

• Hi @hubbend / @McFly:

Unlocking 1Password from browser's toolbar leads to either just a spinning Loading message (until escaped) or after 4-5 seconds is asks for my master password

This is something we're actively investigating, and hope to know more soon.

Passwords are sometimes not fully filled which leads to login failures

Does this happen on one website, or multiple websites?

CMD-\ usually doesn't do anything

We rely on the 1Password desktop app to listen for ⌘+. If you have the 1Password desktop app quit (and have keep in menu bar disabled), then ⌘+\ won't behave as expected.

Suggestions work sometimes for the webiste

For stored passwords where there are multiple websites for that password, it appears only the first can be searched or found.

Are you referring to the inline menu, or the 1Password pop-up accessed by clicking the 1Password icon in Safari's menu bar? Let me know.

Jack

• hubbend
    hubbend
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @hubbend / @McFly:

Unlocking 1Password from browser's toolbar leads to either just a spinning Loading message (until escaped) or after 4-5 seconds is asks for my master password

This is something we're actively investigating, and hope to know more soon.

I am now running 1Password 8.7.1 and Safari Extension 2.3.5 and things have gotten better. Not perfect but better. If I click the menu bar icon, it now simply says Open 1Password and then will open up the app. If I don't login to the app but just close the app. Click the icon again no longer will bring up the app.

Before, if I was lucky, the menu bar icon would display a password box looking for my master password.

Passwords are sometimes not fully filled which leads to login failures

Does this happen on one website, or multiple websites?

Not filling was the majority of the time across all websites. I cannot really say what let things work.

CMD-\ usually doesn't do anything

We rely on the 1Password desktop app to listen for ⌘+. If you have the 1Password desktop app quit (and have keep in menu bar disabled), then ⌘+\ won't behave as expected.

I have keep in menu bar enabled. I am still seeing this behavior where ⌘+\ doing something is still spotty.

Suggestions work sometimes for the webiste

For stored passwords where there are multiple websites for that password, it appears only the first can be searched or found.

Are you referring to the inline menu, or the 1Password pop-up accessed by clicking the 1Password icon in Safari's menu bar? Let me know.

Both actually.

Jack

This discussion has been closed.