Updating 1Password Beta Issues

Options

This beta version has an issue updating regardless of PC reboot and reinstallation of the software. Rolling back to the latest stable until a new Beta has been pushed. The image below was taken from a fresh reboot.

https://imgur.com/18X1X4M

1Password Version: 80800119, on BETA channel
Extension Version: 2.3.8
OS Version: Windows 11 Pro 21H2

Comments

• Hi @Sleepyowl, I'm sorry to learn you've encountered this issue. As a matter of policy, we're unable to click URLs - would you be able to describe any error messages you get? Alternately, if you'd like to share the image as an attachment, our team can accept that at support+windows@1Password.com.

I'll look forward to learning more about this, and to helping you resolve it! 👍

• SleepyOwl
    SleepyOwl
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks @PeterG_1P

“1Password couldn’t complete its update.

Web browsers or security software may be preventing 1Password from updating. Close your web browsers, add 1Password to the whitelist in any security software, and then try again.

Error: 5-PermissionDenied”

This is the first time I’ve encountered this issue with no browser, extension or security changes. I’m not sure exactly what permissions are needed or being blocked. Is there a secure way for me to upload the log files?

• PeterG_1P
    edited June 2022
    Options

Hi @Sleepyowl, thanks for the follow-up. True to the error message, this issue is most typically caused by security software - although the specifics will depend on your setup. Here's how you can deal with this in a time-efficient way:

1. Safe Mode with Networking

Reboot your device in Safe Mode with Networking. Once you're booted up in this environment, try to update again. Does it work this time?

If so, that will have confirmed the basic nature of the issue, which is that something (another application, or some element of the OS) is blocking 1Password from making the changes in its directory that it needs to complete the upgrade.

1. Then, add 1Password's directory (%localappdata%\1Password) to your security apps' allow list, and give your device a reboot. That will likely clear the issue.

But if it doesn't resolve the issue - or if you're not sure what apps might be causing the problem - feel free to contact us at support+windows@1Password.com and we'll help you sort it out. 👍

• SleepyOwl
    SleepyOwl
    Community Member
    Options

I closed out Malwarebytes(since that's the usual culprit in these issues) but no luck. Then, I deactivated these 4 options in Windows Security Center,

• Real-time Protection
    • Cloud-delivered protection
    • Automatic sample submission
    • Tamper protection

After that, the 1P update ran as expected with no errors. Since the previous updates had no issues, something in that particular build made Windows grumpy. Not unexpected from a Beta version though. I appreciate your help @PeterG_1P .

This discussion has been closed.