Is there a way to always log in with Windows Hello?

SlowNicoFish
SlowNicoFish
Community Member

Is there a way to log in with windows hello after restarting the computer? I always have to log in with password the first time after restarting the PC. I get that that is a safety feature but I'm the only one using my computer. Is there an option to always use windows hello?

1Password Version: 8.4.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 11

Comments

• Pe4enie
    Pe4enie
    Community Member

Same question. Especially having in mind that my mac allows me to use biometric authentication (fingeprint) even for the first unlock. Why inconsistensy?

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

I’d like it too, for a family member.

That person might start using 1Password if Hello is enough to log in, but won’t use it if (s)he has to type a long, safe, password.

• Hi @XIII / @Pe4enie / @SlowNicoFish:

Using Windows Hello after reboot to unlock 1Password, rather than your account password, on TPM 2.0-enabled devices is something we're actively exploring, but don't have any timeframes to share just yet. Keep an eye out on the beta releases to be one of the first to use it when it's ready!

Jack

• DavidFussell
    DavidFussell
    Community Member

Please do address this. I would be fine with a check box that would knowingly decrease the security of my account on that particular device. The machines that I have this concern with are at home and never leave, already encrypted, etc. The password entry requirement on reboot has forced me to either use a far more simple password than I am comfortable with or keep my master password in a note that can be copied, both of which reduce the security of my account far more than allowing a specific computer to bypass the password entry on reboot requirement. I would think setting some selectable option (with explaining security considerations) that would store a keyfile locally under that user profile that could be used instead of the master password entry for automatic signin and enabling use of windows hello immediately should be possible. Other password managers I have used can do this fine, so not sure why 1Password cannot.

• Hey @DavidFussell:

Thanks for your feedback here. This is something we're actively working on, and hoped to have out at the end of 2021, but we didn't make that timeline for various reasons. Stay tuned, and hopefully we should have Windows Hello support persisting across reboots in the future on TPM 2.0-enabled devices! :smile:

Just as an additional discussion however, there are very few things that we explicitly say "Highly unlikely to happen" to. Offering the option to save your account password anywhere on disk to allow unlocking to work across reboots, rather than storing key material in a device's secure storage facility (like the TPM 2.0 feature I've mentioned above) is something we're simply not going to add. Additionally, we strongly strongly recommend not writing your account password down anywhere. Choosing an account password based on words generated using the 1Password password generator would be your best bet at a secure password that is not difficult to type or remember.

Jack

• cskjetne
    cskjetne
    Community Member

I second this. With my on iOS and iPadOS, I'm allowed to always use FaceID regardless of whether 1Password is unlocked or not. Would love to have the same feature on Windows.

Love to hear that you are looking into it though. Is there anywhere to look out for changes like this other than joining the beta?

• Hi @cskjetne, thanks for the question!

Besides the Beta channel, which updates regularly, there are a couple additional places you can find info like this. 👇

• Pinned posts in the Desktop Betas forum channel here provide periodic highlights about what's new in the current Beta releases
    • https://releases.1password.com/ has sections for each new Beta and Production release, including extensive and detailed info on what's new in each update.

I hope this is helpful - we're looking forward to wowing you with future updates!

• RealAct
    RealAct
    Community Member

Hello everyone,

I just recently stared using 1Password after over 20 years using RoboForm. Absolutely love it so far.

However the ability of persistent login with Windows Hello after reboots is super important to me and about the only feature I'm missing from decades using RoboForm.

Is this feature already available on the beta channel?

It's a real pain having to enter my password every time I reboot the PC.

Thanks.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Hi @RealAct !

Is this feature already available on the beta channel?

Yes. This should be implemented in the latest beta release already.

Maybe take a look at the beta build to test this functionality.
    https://releases.1password.com/windows/beta/

• RealAct
    RealAct
    Community Member

Yes. This should be implemented in the latest beta release already.

Thanks @DenalB I appreciate your reply. I do seem to be having an issue because it s till asks me for password after reboots. I'm in contact with the developers though, and they are trying to see what's going on.

I might also switch to the beta or nightly channels to see if I have better luck with those.

Cheers!

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

I'm not using Windows Hello. So I'm not able to help here... 🤔

• Hey @RealAct:

We've recently made some improvements to Enhanced Windows Hello in version 8.6.1 of 1Password, does updating to the latest version improve your state of play? Let me know!

Jack

• RealAct
    RealAct
    Community Member

Hi @Jack.P_1P thanks for caring about my issue. I have recently purchased and added a hardware TPM 2.0 module to my PC, so my system is no longer based on software TPM anymore, so I wouldn't be able to tell if the new update made any difference had I kept the firmware-only TPM.

At this point I no longer have any issues with 1Password and Windows Hello works like a charm with it.

Thanks!

• Hey @RealAct:

Glad to hear! Please get in touch if there's anything you need in the future.

Jack

• hypernode
    hypernode
    Community Member

Hi there, I still have problems with unlocking 1Pass with Windows Hello, every time I lock my laptop or restart it, I have to enter the password instead of using biometrics. I'm currently on 8.7.0 and the beta won't install cause the installer thinks 8.7.0 is newer than the beta.

• Hello @hypernode, thank you for letting us know about this issue. We'll be happy to assist you with this.

Can you send us a brief email at support+windows@1Password.com, with a link to your post? That way we can provide system-specific troubleshooting (privately) and make sure that we have all our facts in one place. Thank you - we'll hope to see you over there! 👋

• hypernode
    hypernode
    Community Member

done

• Thanks @hypernode! We've received your message and will be in touch shortly.

ref: QBE-11197-592

• chyyran
    chyyran
    Community Member
    edited June 2022

Is this not supported for fTPMs? I have the beta installed but the option is still greyed out.

Edit: I had to reset my Windows Hello registration with certutil -DeleteHelloContainer. Afterwards it all worked.

• Hi @chyyran, thanks for letting us know - it's great to hear it's now working, subsequent to that change.

• Konamiman
    Konamiman
    Community Member

Any news on this? It's really annoying to have to enter the main password every time the computer boots up. I can log in to Windows directly with my fingerprint, I want to be able to do the same in 1Password.

• Hello @Konamiman,

Thanks for your message. I'm sorry to hear of the troubles you've been encountering with the requirement to enter your account password after booting your device. Could you take a look at this guide and let us know if you've enabled the Use the Trusted Platform Module with Windows Hello:

Let us know how this goes!

This discussion has been closed.