Standalone vault means...

passgas
passgas
Community Member
edited June 2022 in Lounge

So apologies for the dumb question but I just want to be sure. Does the phrase "no standalone vault" just mean everything on 1P 8 is now in the cloud? I'd been looking at 1P 8 lately and I keep seeing this phrase pop up. Been using 1P for years on my Mac and wouldn't necessarily want all my stuff in the cloud, so maybe someone can clarify this for me. Thanks!

1Password Version: 7.9.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

No, it doesn't. There is always a local copy on your device. The master copy is on AgileBits servers, but even if these are down 1PW will work fine.

Standalone vault refers to a vault that never leaves your device unless you personally choose to sync it by some method.

• passgas
    passgas
    Community Member

Simple answer, thanks. Guess I don't fully grok why one can't have a vault that you can choose to not sync to their servers, but okay, at least now I know.

• danco
    danco
    Volunteer Moderator

It's a very long time since I saw anyone use the work "grok". HHow pleasant!

I guess the more options are kept in a program, the more complicated it gets to develop and maintain. Nowadays, most of us have at least two devices (computer and smartphone) so syncing is needed. And by using their own serversthey can include useful features that can't be done if they used iCloud or Dropbox.

• danco summed this up wonderfully, but if there is any further info we can provide please let us know. :)

Ben

This discussion has been closed.