Import csv from Passwords Plus to 1Password on Mac? [Solved]

Options
dukiebluedoc
dukiebluedoc
Community Member
edited June 2022 in Mac

I have been using Passwords Plus from DataViz for years on my Macs and iDevices. Last month DataViz announced they would no longer be supporting Passwords Plus.
I would like to replace PP with 1PW, V8 Family. However when I look at my exported csv file it appears I will need to completely reformat it before I can import it into 1 PW. I really don't have the database skills to do that.
I noticed that there is a converter for PP that works on Windows. Does anyone know of a Mac equivalent? I don't have access to a Windows computer.
thanks for any advice

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Mac OS 12.4

Comments

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@dukiebluedoc

The passwordsplus converter in the converter suite can convert on both macOS and Windows (and it is cross-platform, so you can export on one platform and convert on another).

You will need 1Password 7 temporarily to import the resulting 1PIF file created by the converter. Once you've imported, you can return to 1Password 8.

• dukiebluedoc
    dukiebluedoc
    Community Member
    Options

thanks, I will give it a try.

• Thank you @MrC!

And we'll look forward to learning how this goes for you, @dukiebluedoc 😃

• dukiebluedoc
    dukiebluedoc
    Community Member
    Options

yes, I will post a followup.

• ag_tommy
    Options

👍 We look forward to it.

• shajackson
    shajackson
    Community Member
    Options

I am about to give up on 1Password. I first exported into 1P from PasswordsPlus and my fields were sprayed all over the place. My PWP fields were custom added on for 10 years and often i used abbreviations, sometimes I used the field name as ACC, sometimes account, sometimes number, sometimes #, sometimes ID#, etc. And this happened in many categories. P-word, Password, PW as field names. Somtimes i called a field URL, sometimes called Web address, sometimes, Website. Result is a big mess in P1 v, 8. So I downloaded V 7 and tried the converter suggestions. I looked at the converter site and the videos and it made no sense. To a novice, it is written way over my head and I cannot find anything to work. AND, I am not sure 1P would be able to make sense of my field names since that are not consistant. I dont know what to do next and this dang Dataviz drop at the end of June is making me panic. What am I doing wrong?

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    edited June 2022
    Options

@shajackson ,

I'd be happy to help customize the converter to help you. It would be best if we either work in your own new thread, or we can take it offline (my email is in at the top of the convert.pl script in the converter suite). Either way, I'll work with you to ensure your confidential data remains confidential and private to you only.

The converter can be adjusted to likely hit most or all of your customization, but it may take a little back and forth between us so that we can determine your field names and categories.

Let me know what you'd like to do.

• shajackson
    shajackson
    Community Member
    edited June 2022
    Options

Well MRC, you are going to laugh. I cannot find your email. I did a search on my computer for convert.plscript and a page opened with instructions on how to download from PWP. Looks like a starting place maybe. my email is [deleted] Would you please contact me so we can start to figure this out? I appreciate you attention.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

@shajackson

I deleted your email since this is a public forum. I've sent you an email at that address. I'll await your reply.

• MrC
    MrC
    Volunteer Moderator
    Options

A follow-up...

@shajackson and I made great progress today via Zoom customizing the passwordsplus converter to accommodate the variety of Passwords Plus field labels that had accumulated over the years.

The export data was converted and imported into 1Password, leaving only a fraction as Secure Notes to be manually cleaned up over time.

Nice work, @shajackson, and it was a real pleasure meeting you today.

Don't forget to delete the 1PIF and pm_export.csv file as soon as possible.

• shajackson
    shajackson
    Community Member
    Options

Thank you Mike, MRC! You were AMAZING with your help custom converting my messy accumulated 10 years of PasswordsPlus data. I do believe I would have given up without you! It was indeed a pleasure to work with you and I now feel confident with 1Password.

This discussion has been closed.