What happened to the mini interface in 1P8?

AMonitorDarkly
AMonitorDarkly
Community Member

I'm not sure if this has been brought up already but why was the mini interface eliminated in 1P8? Now when you click the 1P icon in the menu bar, you only have the option for a menu, a search window or the main app interface, none of which are particularly useful and make the existence of the menu bar icon pretty useless.

I see that the search window can eventually lead you to something that vaguely resembles the mini interface but it requires several extra steps to get there.

Overall, I'm happy with the cleaner appearance of 1P8 but the above is just one of several instances of removed functionality, which I just don't get.

1Password Version: 8.7.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member
    edited June 2022

I see that the search window can eventually lead you to something that vaguely resembles the mini interface but it requires several extra steps to get there.

I think what you are referring to is the browser extension "pop up." (It's not the same as the Mini, but at least it's something.)

You can access it directly by opening a browser window and clicking on the 1Password icon in the toolbar, or pressing Shift-Command-X.

EDIT:

The keyboard shortcut is Shift-Command-X for Safari, Chrome, Brave and Edge, but Shift-Command-Period (.) for Firefox.
    https://support.1password.com/keyboard-shortcuts/

David

• notnotjake
    notnotjake
    Community Member

Yep. The removal of Mini is a real miss in my book. As others have mentioned, it reduces the ability to rely on 1Password for non-password, private information. I want to keep server details in 1Password, but the new Quick Access (replaces Mini) is only built for usernames and passwords. I don't think 1Password understands its product. It really thinks the new version is great because they don't use it like us power-users do. Oh well, I'm not holding my breath for any improvements.

• peet1
    peet1
    Community Member

@AMonitorDarkly wow, yeah I've been testing 1Password 8 and the removal of the mini UI and "Seach" vs "Find" insanity is forcing me to remain on 7. At first, 8 seems like a great refresh ... then I used it. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

@notnotjake I think it might be worth holding your breath for a few more days :D Agilebits does seem to at least want to get it right. More so than some other major password manager dev's.

• peet1
    peet1
    Community Member

@AMonitorDarkly and @notnotjake .... Okay so I looked at the Quick Access UI (shift + CMD + space) more. It's not the same, but it's not necessarily worse. From what I see the Quick Access gives you access to any/all records and it's (confoundingly) easier to search than the main UI.

Admittedly there's no easy way to create records from QuickAccess, but what record types can't you find/access?

• peet1
    peet1
    Community Member

@AMonitorDarkly Ahhh ... 100% with you. If I lived in the Mini interface as you describe, I'd be just as frustrated as you are!

I think @notnotjake might be right here on not holding our collective breath. It seems as though AgileBits has dropped Mini in favor of Quick Access. I truly cannot imagine a way that they could possibly support the same Mini experience in QuickAccess. Mini would have to exist along side Quick Access ... which from an end user perspective doesn't seem as though it would be out of the question.

Considering the UI for Mini in 1Password 8 is already built, i.e. the plugin UI in Safari, it shouldn't be a leap to embed that into the Menu Bar icon. You'd think it would have been a no-brainer.

I'm deeply confounded that they converted "Search" to "Find" and created a less than useful "Search" function. (https://1password.community/discussion/130752/fix-v-8-search-results)

• Hi folks,

Thanks for your feedback on this. While I can't promise anything, I'll share your thoughts with the team.

Jack

• You're very welcome.

Jack

• Oxon
    Oxon
    Community Member

Also, I miss the ability to pin the mini window.

• waryofdairy
    waryofdairy
    Community Member

Same! Do not like the loss of Mini. Very backward step, think I'll go back to 1PW7...

• Hi @Oxon and @waryofdairy ,

Thanks for your feedback, while I can’t make any promises, I have added your feature requests to our internal tracker. Let me know if we can help with anything else!

• BobW
    BobW
    Community Member

+1 on all this.

• mixture
    mixture
    Community Member

+1 on the Mini menubar icon. I use it constantly in 1Password 7.

It breaks my heart how 1Password developers failed with the version 8. So disappointed after supporting this team for over a decade. :( Previous versions always built up on the earlier, but 8 took off great, basic features (Mini, ability to disable autosubmit, etc...)

I'm still not ready to look for other password managers, I will give the team a couple of months to fix things before jumping ship.

• @Oxon et al.

Have you tried using Quick Access and from there after selecting the appropriate item, you can use the shortcut of Command + O to pin a window? Perhaps that will help while needing to pin an item.

• Oxon
    Oxon
    Community Member

I didn't know about the Command + O. Thanks, it was just what I needed.

• Rayto
    Rayto
    Community Member

I’m doing my due diligence on v.8 as I took a pass on v.7 and continue to be delighted with v.6 sync’s via iCloud. The 1P menu bar functionality is a core interface. I haven’t read anything here that suggests whatever it is 1P has done is a less elegant, more complicated and less complete approach. I have until Rosetta2 is no longer supported by Apple. Figure 4 years to move from v.6:) v.8 still looks very optional.

• MaRob
    MaRob
    Community Member

It's so interesting seeing all the posts about 1P 8. It really looks to me - I am not the only one that is really unhappy in different topics with that new version. I am still waiting that the quick search will work well again.
    I always searched my entrys by the quick search. When I now press SHIFT - COMMAND - SPACE the search will only work for the item main name.
    It's not possible (as I know) to do a quick and easy search on all items searching text, tags, ... .
    That works from the search function within 1Password main window - but why not from the quick search?

I am still hoping to see a solution for a well done quick search in the near future - pleeeaaase 🙏

• BradBidnick
    BradBidnick
    Community Member

I realize I'm late to this thread, but having just upgraded from 7 to 8 on one of my Windows machines, I have to agree with everyone here that the loss of the mini interface from right-clicking the system tray icon is a huge step backwards. I was losing my mind trying every permutation of configuration parameters to bring it back, only to find this thread and realize that it's just gone.

For full-screen applications (mainly games) that require a login with password, where 1Password does not integrate, it was very fast to right click the icon, access the favorites, and copy the password right from there into the clipboard just before launching a full screen app. Now the process is far less streamlined, and would love to see the mini interface menu return. I'm holding off updating to version 8 on my other systems for now, as I'm not sure what unfortunate surprises I'll run into on MacOS/iOS/iPadOS.

• djbriane
    djbriane
    Community Member

Considering downgrading to 1Password 7 until there is some resolution to this. Losing 1Password Mini is so detrimental to my (many times) daily workflow that it is not worth the benefits of the new interface.

• sue16garri
    sue16garri
    Community Member

I've used 1Password and subsequent upgrades since its inception. Today I downgraded back to 1Password7. I really, really dislike v8. What have you done to the interface. It is too busy to be convenient to use and takes up too much room on the screen!! It's bad enough on a large monitor where I typically keep multiple windows open. It's especially annoying on a phone or tablet. It is no improvement over the streamlined, clean, minimalist interface of v7. I depend on 7's mini and depending on being able to pin a search result to the screen when using a browser instead of adding the browser extension.

• tadiba
    tadiba
    Community Member
    edited October 2022

I can't stand the new 1password 8. It takes more steps to do everything. Right clicking to get the pop-up was very convenient. Now I have to go find the extension in the browser bar. The new app keeps filling in with an old or outdated password, and getting to the app to see what the problem might be or what name the newer password is under is now a real hassle. Every time I use 1password now I end up annoyed. I am going to start looking at other options if this doesn't improve.

• gsetser
    gsetser
    Community Member

God I hate the new mobile version of 1P. Half my passwords aren’t even in it. What an effing mess.

• tzosel
    tzosel
    Community Member
    edited October 2022

Another very very disappointed user that has been with 1Password since the beginning. I’ve now reverted back to version 7 and if this doesn’t get resolved maybe evaluating competitors. I spent 90%+ of my time in the mini interface and can’t fathom why anyone through it was a good idea to remove all this function- huge step backwards. I tried to use the new Quick access but it’s missing so many features and takes double+ amount of more clicks to do the same thing as I used to do in mini - I eventually got fed up and reverted back to 7. Some stuff I used to do in mini doesn’t even exist in the new Quick Access like edit, view notes, etc and you end up having to open up the full client to do stuff that used to quick and convenient. I just can’t wrap my brain around who thought it was a good idea to remove this!!! Since version 1 it’s been improvement after improvement… then version 8 comes along and you just rip out a whole chunk of the most useful functionality of the entire product…. Mind blown! So frustrating! 😞

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member

Some stuff I used to do in mini doesn’t even exist in the new Quick Access like edit, view notes, etc and you end up having to open up the full client to do stuff that used to quick and convenient.

Just curious -- did you use the browser extension? Sadly it's not nearly as good as the 1P7 mini, but it does have more functionality than Quick Access.

• DavidB
    DavidB
    Community Member

The vast majority of instances where I need the Mini are where I’m doing something outside of a browser.

Just so I understand, could you give some examples? (I think my workflow may be a lot different than yours.)

This discussion has been closed.