Feature request: Unlock option in the menu bar

andreavuolo
andreavuolo
Community Member
edited June 2022 in Mac

I'd like to have an unlock feature in the menu bar on my macbook.
I have installed the last versione of 1password (8.7.1).

When it is unlocked, I have the opportunity to block it via the icon in the menu bar.
I'd like also to have the opportunity to unlock it there.
I know that I can unlock it via quick access or opening the app when I need, but it would be a nice thing to have

1Password Version: 8.7.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOs 12.4

Comments

• Hi @andreavuolo, thank you for this request!

As I think you referenced here, it's currently possible to unlock a locked 1Password app by clicking the icon in the menu bar, and then pressing Open 1Password. Do you feel that having an unlock option would provide some additional benefit, beyond what we've already implemented? I'll be happy to pass on any feedback you'd like to offer

Thanks, and I'll look forward to your reply!

• andreavuolo
    andreavuolo
    Community Member

For me it is better to have just the unlock option.
    Clicking open 1password it pops up the main window and then I have to close it, and that’s what I did anytime I reactivate the mac after the standby.
    It is just quicker

• Hi @andreavuolo

Thanks for the extra context. Just to make sure I am articulating your request correctly, you're asking to be able to unlock 1Password in the menubar without wanting to use the app correct?

The reason I ask is that to unlock the 1Password on your Mac, you'll need to enter your account password (or use Touch ID) which would require some kind of window to appear. If you're invoking Quick Access or the main app from the locked state, you'll be prompted to enter your password (or use Touch ID) and then be taken to the appropriate window. This initial behaviour would still be required if you wanted to unlock 1Password from the menubar, but you're just asking for the window requiring your password to disappear after your password is entered?

It just seems strange to me to want to be able to unlock 1Password, but then not immediately use the app. Your clarification would be appreciated so I can log your feature request correctly. 🙂

As an aside, if you're looking to keep 1Password 8 from locking when your computer goes to sleep/turns on a screensaver, you can adjust this in the 1Password > Preferences > Security preference pane under the Auto-lock heading.

Thanks in advance!

Alex

• andreavuolo
    andreavuolo
    Community Member

Thanks for the reply.

I am aware my request is not that usual, anyway I'll try to explain you why I need it.
    I want to unlock 1password in the meanwhile google chrome opens and its windows as well.

What I do is to click on the chrome app, and then open 1password so that when chrome is 'on' I don't have to wait to use quick access cause I already did it.
    That's why I would like to have just an unlock option in the menu bar, that should just pops up the password request or the id confirmation but it should not open 1password.

Thanks for your time

• Hey @andreavuolo:

Thanks for clarifying! I can definitely see how this would be handy, so I'll share it with the team.

Jack

This discussion has been closed.