1P8 - Autofill stops without 1P7 accessibility turned on

darrenk
darrenk
Community Member

Hi all,

I have both 1P8 and 1P7 installed on both my Samsung Fold 3 and Tab S7+ - when using either chrome or Samsung internet, and using either Gboard or the samsung keyboard, the autofill function (that appears above the keyboard) ceases to function if I turn off the accessibility setting in 1P7. Obviously this then triggers duplicate password suggestions from above the keyboard and above the entry field. This behaviour is consistent on both devices.

Thoughts?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello @darrenk, thanks for writing in! Is this an accurate summary of what you're seeing:

• 1Password 7 - Autofill on, Accessibility on - Autofill prompt in keyboard suggestion strip only.
    • 1Password 7 - Autofill on, Accessibility off - No Autofill prompt.
    • 1Password 8 - Autofill on, Accessibility on (in 7) - Autofill prompt in keyboard suggestion strip and below fields.
    • 1Password 8 - Autofill on, Accessibility off (in 7) - No Autofill prompt.

I'd also like to ask if you use a physical external keyboard with either of your devices and if this issue occurs with all apps and websites or just a specific few? Thanks again!

• darrenk
    darrenk
    Community Member

Hi @ag_timothy - My responses after testing each scenario you've laid out:

• 1Password 7 - Autofill on, Accessibility on - Autofill prompt in keyboard suggestion strip only. Autofill prompt only above fields and NOT in keyboard strip.
    • 1Password 7 - Autofill on, Accessibility off - No Autofill prompt. Autofill prompt only above fields and NOT in keyboard strip
    • 1Password 8 - Autofill on, Accessibility on (in 7) - Autofill prompt in keyboard suggestion strip and below fields. Correct
    • 1Password 8 - Autofill on, Accessibility off (in 7) - No Autofill prompt. Correct
  • darrenk
    darrenk
    Community Member

I failed to respond to your last questions - I do use external keyboards with the tablet however the fault exists on my phone which doesn't connect to an external keyboard. The fault also occurs regardless of whether I'm using the onscreen keyboard or the external keyboard.

Additionally, I note that the fault happens on multiple sites and apps, and not a specific few.

Thanks

• ag_timothy
    edited June 2022

Hi @darrenk thanks for adding those details. If it's okay with you, lets focus on the phone for now as an external keyboard may add an extra layer of confusion while we look into this.

With 1Password 7, do you have "Always show Autofill suggestions below fields" on in Settings > Autofill? If so, that would explain why you're seeing suggestions below fields. Turning the setting off should return suggestions to the keyboard.

With Autofill on in 1Password 8 and Accessibility on in 1Password 7, you will see competing suggestions as accessibility filling is outside the Autofill service. As you're seeing both it does suggest that 1Password 8 Autofill is working on your device.

This leaves the fourth point. On your Samsung phone I'd like to ask you to switch to Gboard, confirm Autofill and Accessibility are off in 1Password 7 and that Autofill is on in 1Password 8. Next you can open Chrome and navigate to fill.dev login > simple or open the link below. When you tap the username field do you see a prompt in the suggestion strip? If not, close Chrome completely and reopen the browser then try tapping the username field again. Let us know how that goes!

• darrenk
    darrenk
    Community Member

@ag_timothy Good news, I think the cause has been found - on the 1P7 Autofill settings page, the "Always show Autofill suggestions below fields" toggle is greyed out (regardless of whether the option switch is on or off) if the "Autofill" toggle is toggled off. I had assumed that if Autofill is off, the other options would play no part.

So with all 1P7 autofill settings deactivated, and 1P8 autofill activated, I can now confirm I get login suggestions above the keyboard on most sites and applications. The doubling up of entry suggestions above the keyboard and, above the entry field is now also resolved. This is the case regardless of using either chrome, Samsung internet browser or Samsung internet browser beta. It also works with both Gboard and Samsung soft keyboards.

Finally, I tried the same settings with my tablet (which I alternate between using onscreen keyboards and an attached physical keyboard). If the browser is launched with a physical keyboard, password suggestions appear above the entry field, however if I switch to the soft keyboard at that point, the suggestions continue to appear above the entry fields and NOT in the keyboard strip. If you then restart the the browser without the physical keyboard attached, the suggestions appear above the keyboard strip as designed. However, you will have to restart the browser if you switch to a physical keyboard.

Thanks for all the help, it's focus on customer support like this that keeps me a loyal 1Password user.

Darren

• Hello @darrenk, first off I wanted to apologize for the delay in my response. Second I wanted to thank you for testing all that out and letting us know about the results. I'm very glad to hear we were able to find the issue here!

I did some testing with my phone and a Bluetooth keyboard and found that refreshing the page, as well as restarting the browser, would bring the suggestions back to the keyboard strip. I'm not sure if this behavior varies with specific devices and keyboards or if it's something we can improve on our end. I'll be sure to bring this up with the team so we can look into it. In the mean time, I found refreshing the page to be a more elegant solution than restarting my browser.

Thanks again. If you have any other feedback or questions please don't hesitate to ask!

This discussion has been closed.