1Password not prompting to save new Login/Registration???

edsc
edsc
Community Member
edited March 2022 in 1Password in the Browser

May i know if 1Password will prompt to ask for saving login? I just registered an account from 1Password Community, after i filled up details, and clicked Sign Up, BitWarden and LastPass was asking me whether to save it, i don't see any prompt from 1Password to save login, you can see the video screenshot here.

I have tried to Quit 1Password Completely, un-installed and re-installed the extension, restarted Chrome, all not working.

Here are my scenarios:
1. I don't want to save the logins manually
2. I don't want to show 1Password icon on field focus
3. I want 1Password prompts me to save new login automatically every time

Also, please see attached images for my settings:

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

ยซ1

Comments

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Hi @edsc !

There isn't such a popup. The only possibility to save a password is to enable autofill settings in the extension. As I see, the setting is disabled in your installation. Please enable Offer to fill and save passwords and you should get a popup for saving the password.

Maybe you could read here for more details:
    https://support.1password.com/save-fill-passwords/#save-a-login

• Jack.P_1P
    edited March 2022

Note: We're always exploring ways to make 1Password in the browser even better, and I shared a feature limited to our testing accounts here.

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    edited March 2022

Hey @Jack.P_1P !

our beta version of 1Password in the browser does offer a pop-up after logging into a website

I'm using 2.3.2.beta in Vivaldi browser, but I never saw this popup. Is there a specific setting for enabling this popup? ๐Ÿค”

EDIT: Just tested with a login. I changed the URL in 1Password so that there is no known entry in 1Password for the website. Now I logged into the website, but there was no popup... Strange, isn't it?

These are my settings:

• 1pwdnoob
    1pwdnoob
    Community Member

I concur. I'm using the latest Beta, and 1P8, and I get no popup, even though Offer to fill and save passwords is checked.

• Hey @DenalB and @1pwdnoob:

I'd like to apologize for the mix-up here. As we're exploring additional ways to make 1Password in the browser even better, certain features are limited to our testing accounts, and that dialog is one of them.

@edsc:

If your use case is such that you'd like to use 1Password without the inline menu / icon, but would like your Logins to be autosaved when submitted, using our classic extension would be the best bet. I've shared your feedback about how saving Logins works with 1Password in the browser, and we'll continue to use feedback like yours as we work to make 1Password the best it can be! ๐Ÿ˜€

Jack

ref: IDEA-I-393

• 1pwdnoob
    1pwdnoob
    Community Member

Thanks, @Jack.P_1P Hopefully, this functionality is brought out soon to the rest of us :)

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member
    edited March 2022

Hey @Jack.P_1P !

So that means you have to switch our accounts into testing accounts, too... ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜‰

Looking forward to that popup! ๐Ÿ‘Œ

• edsc
    edsc
    Community Member

Hey @DenalB @Jack.P_1P

Appreciate your kind assistance, i will try it out sooner.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

@edsc If you're open to using Safari, our built-in extension (that comes with 1PW7) is also a good option. You can turn off the inline menu in Safari, and you'd always be asked to save your logins. The benefit of using the Safari App Extension is that it's still receiving updates while there will be no more updates for the classic extension.

I do hope things are going well. Let us know if you have any other questions!

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

Hey @Jack.P_1P !

I'd like to apologize for the mix-up here. As we're exploring additional ways to make 1Password in the browser even better, certain features are limited to our testing accounts, and that dialog is one of them.

Yesterday, I wanted to show 1Password functionality to my wife. Normally, she only uses entries that I already created in 1Password. Now she had to create her own login entry...

Guess what? She asked why she had to save the credentials into 1Password before she sent these credentials to the website. She said that this doesn't make sense, saving an entry into 1Password before testing if it works. After I explained it to her, what had to happen... happened. The password did not match the requirements... But it was saved in 1Password already. So I had to delete the entry from 1Password and tried again, creating credentials that match the requirements. Now I knew what I had to do, and so it worked.

That's an example of what could happen... And an example of what could happen when showing functionality to a person that is interested in 1Password. Not a perfect start. ๐Ÿค”

• Ryon
    Ryon
    Community Member

Hi! Just adding my voice here that I would also love to have the option to save after login. That's a functionality I really miss from 1Password currently compared to Dashlane. Is there already an ETA when this feature is realeased?

• DenalB
    DenalB
    Community Member

That's a functionality I really miss from 1Password currently compared to Dashlane.

The problem is that this was the way of saving passwords when using 1Password 7 together with the 1Password classic browser extension. I loved this behavior. But when switching to 1Password 8 and 1Password in the browser, it was gone... Would love to have this behavior back.

• Hey @Ryon / @DenalB:

Thanks for your feedback on this! I've added you to the issue we have for this. While I can't promise anything, it's definitely something we're aware of.

Jack

ref: IDEA-I-645

• mueez
    mueez
    Community Member

This behavior was critical for my workflow., I can't believe the 1P team was even ok with not including it in the new 1Password browser extension. It makes no sense. I hope your team realizes how much this functionality meant to users.

• Hi @mueez:

Thanks for your feedback on this. I've added you to the tracker I mentioned above.

Jack

• Jaggermeister
    Jaggermeister
    Community Member

I would like to voice my opinion on this matter as well. I don't want a total takeover of my browser by 1Password. I'd like to continue using the chrome passwords feature, but also have the popup functionality from the previous extension. This was critical to the way I used the application.

The problem with saving or updating before submitting is that most of the time you are unaware that the password you are using doesn't meet requirements, until the error message pops up after submission, or even if server issues are happening and your account is not created. When this happens, you just saved an incorrect password to the application, or one for an account that doesn't end up existing at all and it creates more work to make sure it is updated correctly.

When the popup happens afterwards, you already know the password is satisfactory, that your account has been created on whatever site it is, and it is now necessary and useful to save the password.

This is a huge omission and change in the workflow of the application. One that is enough to actually make me consider looking at alternatives.

• Sandervz
    Sandervz
    Community Member

Would love to see this feature going live soon.
    While onboarding colleagues, lots of them experience that while they try to login using the old, memorized passwords, they fail repeatedly. After the last (succesfull) try, the correct password isn't saved to 1Password, because the plugin only asks to save BEFORE clicking the loginbutton.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    edited November 2022

Hi @Jaggermeister and @Sandervz, I have shared your feedback with our product team and developers. Thanks for reaching out about this!

IDEA-I-645

• lubblyjubbly
    lubblyjubbly
    Community Member

Concur with above. I'm thinking about switching from LastPass which has had this feature for years

• Hey @lubblyjubbly,

I have passed on your feedback.

Thank you!

ref:PB-29747127

• ritchiezzz
    ritchiezzz
    Community Member
    edited January 2023

This feature removal is horrendous, and it has not been fixed for a year. Frankly, I have to consider switching to other tool if this continues.

• d12bb
    d12bb
    Community Member

+1

• Jhoaas
    Jhoaas
    Community Member

Welp, i just signed up for Family 1password after giving up on Lastpass--but this issue is a dealbreaker i think. Its in literally every other password manager. Not sure why they would ever make a change like that. I have a hard enough time getting the family to add logins to password managers, now 1password is just making it even harder. You even think that once you logged in, you could click the 1password extension icon and "add this website" or something, but you cant even do that. At least then you could easily manually add it, versus the trainwreck way to do it now.

• dserodio
    dserodio
    Community Member

Add me to the list of users that miss this feature. Jaggermeister's comment above is right on target as to why the current workflow is not good.

• BringBackPopups
    BringBackPopups
    Community Member

Please bring back this feature ASAP. The whole reason I'm not using the integrated form is because I'm not sure I remember the correct password until I successfully sign-in... and forgetting your passwords is the whole point of a password manager!! I feel cheated that I got pressured into upgrading to 1Password 8 with countless upsells in 7, only to LOSE functionality. There is a reason both Safari and Chrome prompt this as a pop-up and now they are more preferable to me than 1Password. Please bring this back.

• mhusson
    mhusson
    Community Member

As a 1Password user for the last 15 years, this has been bothering me since switching to 1Password 8. I was sure this had to be a bug which led me to searching how to fix this issue, which led me to this post. I haven't been a fan of the new extension as compared to the classic extension but have been giving it a fair go. This seems like a big regression in functionality. Hopefully it gets addressed soon.

• airlie
    airlie
    Community Member

+1

I thought I was experiencing a bug. Definitely a must for a password manager, especially for users who are not strong on technical stuff.

• Andrew775
    Andrew775
    Community Member

Hi @steph.giles @Joy_1P @Jack.P_1P
    I completely agree with everyone in this thread, option to save after login is extremely important and a feature most browsers & password managers have.
    I would like to see this functionality added ASAP please!

I am trying to get my parents to use 1Password family, and it is much easier to just tell them to click the "Save" button after login, otherwise they just forget.

Also it is much better UX to save a password after it has been successfully accepted by a website.

• CKay
    CKay
    Community Member

Please, it's crazy this feature isn't in 1P. Coming from LP it was so much more intuitive and friction-free in this respect. Come on 1P let's get this implemented otherwise I may move to Dashlane (as I suspect will other LP refugees)

• RSBC
    RSBC
    Community Member

I am a LastPass refugee. I am a software engineer as well, and I can understand why they do it this way. The 1Password method ensures that the password that you are changing to is saved 100% of the time. It is a well thought out method, and while different than LastPass and others, it ensures that you do not loose your new password. Like me, people are probably just used to doing things, (and more familiar with) LastPass (or whatever they used before) and their process', but the 1Password process is better.

For instance, by waiting until after you change your password to save it ( the LP method), many times LP either stops prompting, or you loose the ability to save\update the record by jumping to another web page, losing your session, or even closing the web site. This results in loosing the password entirely. You have no record of your new password so you have to start over, and if you are lucky, you can still try changing your password again, not ever knowing what you previously changed it too on the website account, and get locked out.

In 1Password, by updating and saving the new password first, even if something happens (or doesn't happen), you'll always have the original password and the new password (even if it doesn't meet requirements) that you changed it too. I just changed almost 800 passwords and was it it 100% on all sites? Not all the time, and I did need to view password history and do it again, but I still had every new password I had changed, so I believe that this is a much better program flow design and I hope they do not change it!

This discussion has been closed.