Windows 11 and Windows Hello not working Right

HyperFox
HyperFox
Community Member

Since a few months ago anytime I try to unlock 1Password on Windows 11 the Hello Prompt does not come up until AFTER I enter the Master Password. Not just once but everytime. Disabling and Re-enabling it helps half the time (with me closing the app between changes). Sometimes it does not. If I reboot when I get it working, it breaks again.

This is literally driving me insane. I am on my second year but it's making it almost unusable. I have to turn off Windows Hello as the popup after the password is REALLY annoying from a workflow perspective. I found the turn off and on inside your forums. What is going on?

1Password Version: 8.7.0
Extension Version: 2.3.3
OS Version: Windows 11

Comments

• Hello @HyperFox, I'm sorry to learn of this issue, and the understandable frustration it has caused. Let's get this fixed for you.

Preliminarily, it sounds like you may be encountering an issue with the way that Windows Hello and 1Password are using TPM data. As a quick accuracy check: when you open 1Password and go to Settings (Ctrl + Comma) > Advanced > Security is the option to _"Use the Trusted Platform Module with Windows Hello" _ checked or is this greyed out?

My first suggestion to resolve this would be to re-enroll your Windows Hello data - in other words, to remove and then re-add all of your Windows Hello options, such as face, fingerprint and PIN. If the option to remove the PIN is greyed out, you may need to disable the option to only allow Windows Hello sign-in for Microsoft accounts on this device first.

Assuming hardware storage is available, this process should move the TPM key over from software to hardware storage and allow you to enable the option to use the TPM in 1Password. It should resolve this workflow disruption for your renewed setup too.

We're also happy to provide customized troubleshooting over email - so if you try these steps and they don't work, or you run into some other obstacle, do send us an email at support+windows@1Password.com and we'll be happy to assist.

Thanks again for your patience with this. I can really see why the app behavior you've described would be obstructive, and we'd like to get it resolved for you as quickly as possible.

ref: dev/core/core#14277

• HyperFox
    HyperFox
    Community Member

So I tried this and did it over and over and over again. It fixed nothing. I had to re-enable passwords on my Microsoft account BTW to do this. So you might want to include passwordless account warnings.

I am 100% at my Wits end now. It makes 1password almost unusuable as EVEN turning off Windows Hello in the software I get the prompt. So what do I do now?

• Good morning @HyperFox, I'm sorry for the continued troubles.

Can you provide some additional details via email to support+windows@1Password.com so we can help to investigate further?

Please do not post these details in the forums.

If you can also include a link to this thread in your email, along with your forum handle, this help us to "connect the dots" when we see your report in our inbox. Thank you!

This discussion has been closed.