Autofill on Android 12 doesn't seem to work

Comments

• HelenBubz
    HelenBubz
    Community Member
    edited February 2022

I deleted the original message because I'd sorted that problem out.

• HelenBubz
    HelenBubz
    Community Member

Support ID is [#GWX-62792-172]

• Hello @HelenBubz thanks for sending that in. I can see that we received your diagnostics email. Feel free to respond there if you're still running into any issues!

• FrankBreech
    FrankBreech
    Community Member
    edited February 2022

deleted as already been discussed earlier (doh)

• Thanks @FrankBreech! If you have any further issues, just let us know!

• intel1919
    intel1919
    Community Member
    edited March 2022

I am a new customer, wanting to move away from Truekey (mcafee) for the family sharing functionality. However, I am seeing exact same issue reported by OP on my android 12, Samsung Note 20 5G. I have the latest OS on Samsung as well as latest Android 1password app. I have gone through the system settings accessibility settings as guided by 1password app. Rebooted my device after all changes I made.

As OP mentions, I too do not see any 1password pop up when tapping into a login field of either an app or browser. I had to turn this on for Truekey as well, but I turned that off.

• jaystevenson
    jaystevenson
    Community Member

Exactly the same issue for me as a new customer, hoping to find a better premium provider than my previous one... Having read through and tried (I think) almost all of the above, I'm struggling to maintain the motivation to persist with the changeover, as every single login and app seems to take average 5 minutes.. the browser and windows 11 program doesn't seem much better though to be fair.. i can't help but feel I must be doing something wrong somehow.. overall i like that app and i can tell it should perform much better than my experience so far so I don't want to give up just yet... can someone please advise? :)

• MerryBit
    MerryBit
    Community Member

+1 to all of the above from me on a Samsung A52 running Android 12. I have tried everything, and the only thing that improves things slightly is if I turn off autofill but keep accessibility on. Even in that configuration it still feels like I'm fighting 1P more than it is helping me.

• Asyd Rayn
    Asyd Rayn
    Community Member

Me too and I find myself having to open the 1Password app to get anything done. Lots of websites and logins that are SURELY saved in my vault just don't trigger and I end up having to search for them.

• HelenBubz
    HelenBubz
    Community Member

You'd have thought that 1Password would have got the message by now and would have started looking at options. :) the first post was in October 2021.

• Hey @Captain_Hook , @intel1919 , @jaystevenson , @MerryBit , @Asyd Rayn thanks for reaching out to us about this persistent issue. Filling issues can stem from a few different sources so it should be helpful to look at each specific case. I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your Android device:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (Android)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

• A link to this thread: url
    • Your forum username: username

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

@HelenBubz it looks like the email conversation you shared above closed. I've reached out to you via email in the same conversation.

• HerbertCunningham
    HerbertCunningham
    Community Member

I have an Android 12 and I had the same problem.

• Hello @HerbertCunningham thanks for joining the conversation!

I'm sorry to hear Autofill has been inconsistent for you on your Android 12 device. Feel free to send in a diagnostic report with the information I shared above we would be happy to take a closer look.

• rzzz
    rzzz
    Community Member

Has anything being done to resolve these issues? My experience with 1password it's either hit or miss. But 80% of time that I have to open the app, manually copy username and password. Seems autofill isn't working as well as others. Both app and browser version are pretty unreliable.

• Hi @rzzz. Unfortunately, Autofill issues can be caused by different things and hard to nail down in a sort of "one size fits all" way. So in order to figure out what may be going on with filling on your Android device, could you provide a bit more information?

1. What's your device's make and model?
    2. What version of Android are you using?
    3. What version of 1Password are you using?
    4. What is the browser you're having trouble filling into on Android?
    5. If you're having trouble filling in apps, can you name any particular one(s)?
    6. Do you have both Autofill and Accessibility enabled in 1Password's settings?

Thanks!

• mpigulski
    mpigulski
    Community Member

Hello,

Pixel 6 experiencing some of the issues above, mainly 1password not showing up as suggestion on the top of the keyboard.

Shame it is so long now and it hasn't been fixed even though this is a paid service and not a cheap one. Shame!

WORKAROUND: For all at you guys who have this issue on Pixel I have a workaround that works for me 9/10. If you want to have auto fill on given page then:

• open the keyboard on the desired text field, see that 1password is not there, as usual,
    • try the "previous app slide gesture at the bottom of the screen" OR
    • use the task switcher to switch to some other app
    • go back to the app you needed auto fill using whatever aforementioned metod you used to switch apps,
    • observe that 1password is back on the bar above the keyboard

Sometimes you need to click the text field again to bring back there keyboard.

I know this is less then ideal but at least you don't have to copy paste stuff around. You can then keep your logins in some free notepad. Works for me, fingers crossed for a fix, looking around for some other password manager that actually works.

Cheers,
    Maciej

• Hello @mpigulski thanks for joining us on the forum and sharing the workaround you found! I'm sorry to hear you've been running into filling issues on your Pixel.

We've chatted with customers who have reported filling issues with Android 12 and are investigating it internally. So far, we haven't found one central issue. That being said, the support and development teams are continuing to follow this closely and will be quick to act if an issue becomes apparent.

With the behavior you described on your Pixel I'd like to suggest a few troubleshooting steps:

1. You can start by restarting your device then checking to see if the Autofill prompt appears as expected.

2. Next you can turn Autofill previews off while keeping Autofill on from Settings > Autofill. Restart your browser then visit a site where you've previously been able to Autofill. Does the prompt appear without your workaround?

3. If you're using Gboard, you can clear the storage and cache for Gboard from app settings on your device. I'd like to note that this will clear your keyboard settings and history (such as recently used emoji).

Let us know how that goes!

• MonkeyMan
    MonkeyMan
    Community Member
    edited May 2022

+1 on this conversation. I have a S22 Ultra. It is hit or miss if it works or even recognizes the app. Auto-fill is not working, accessibility does nothing, no Password suggestions. It is very painful.

1. Samsung S22 Ultra
    2. Android 12
    3. 1P - 7.9.2
    4. example of App - ESPN
    5. Yes - both Autofill and Accessibility are enabled

XP - On login page, nothing happens. No prompt for 1 PW nothing.

• Hello @MonkeyMan thanks for joining us on the forum! I'm sorry to hear you're running into some filling issues with your S22.

I did some testing with the ESPN app and I wasn't able to fill the email field using Autofill. It looks like something in the app may be interfering with Autofill or the appropriate contextual clues are not present in the email field as forcing Autofill (long press > ⋮ > Autofill) does not open the prompt either. I was only able to fill in the ESPN app using drag and drop or Accessibility filling only.

If there are other apps or websites where Autofill isn't working as expected for you I would be happy to take a look. Please included the browser and keyboard you use as well. Thanks again!

• balajidurairaj
    balajidurairaj
    Community Member

Hello, I am trying to set up 1 password in my samsung A52s 5G that runs on android 12. Its not prefilling the password. Can you please help.

• Hello @balajidurairaj thanks for joining us on the forum. I'm sorry to hear about the filling issue!

To start, please confirm that Autofill is enabled. You can open and unlock 1Password, tap Settings > Autofill, tap Autofill on then select 1Password from the list of Autofill services. If Autofill was off, turning it on will allow you to fill in supported apps and browsers.

If Autofill was on, let us know the browser you use on your device as well as a few of the apps or websites where 1Password does not offer to Autofill. We would be happy to help look into this. Thanks again!

• balajidurairaj
    balajidurairaj
    Community Member

Thanks for your reply. I read the previous comments and tried the steps with autofill and it didnt work. And i had not much time to return my phone. So i already returned the android phone and went back to an apple. Thanks anyways for reaching me out. for now i am not stuck because with apple 1 password works like a charm.

• Hi @balajidurairaj thanks for following up with us. If you switch back to an Android phone in the future we would be happy to help with any questions!

• DanThomas
    DanThomas
    Community Member

@ag_timothy Android 12 on Pixel 6 is definitely having issues for me. When I re-enable it in 1password settings and close Chrome (or whatever app I'm trying to autofill on) it works again, but after some amount of time the Android Auto-fill service resets itself to "None" and I have to go through the process again.

• Hi @DanThomas, I'm sorry to hear this has been an issue on your Pixel!

The usual suspect when Autofill settings are switched off in the background is battery optimization. I'd like to ask you to check your battery usage settings for 1Password (system setting > apps > 1Password > battery). Between unrestricted, optimized and restricted what is the current setting? If you change the current setting to optimized or unrestricted does Autofill continue to switch off?

• DanThomas
    DanThomas
    Community Member

Thanks @ag_timothy, it was set to optimised but I've now set it to unrestricted. Will report back and confirm if this solves the issue

• alexmidd
    alexmidd
    Community Member

I've been having problems since I changed from a Samsung S20+ to a Samsung S22+. The S20+ was on Android 12 (OneUI 4.0) before I changed over, and as far as I can remember autofill was working fine for apps and the built-in Samsung browser using Gboard. However, it has never worked on the S22+ since I bought it. All I get is the "Search 1Password" and "Create a new login" options, but no entry in the list to fill the password for the site/app I am using. It makes what used to be a breeze filling passwords on my phone (which can be fiddly at the best of times) much more of a faff. It's not horrendous, but definitely not as nice and easy as it used to be. All autofill options are switched on, battery optimisation is set to "unrestricted" and yet it still won't work. Something has changed and it is making logging into some apps, like Paypal, unusable and I am having to change back to SMS messages for 2FA as to autofill the OTP from 1Password I have to leave the app to go into 1Password to copy the code, which causes the Paypal app to close down. If there is any advice as to get this working, or if it is even possible, I'd be grateful to receive it.

Thanks

Alex

• @DanThomas, thanks for giving that a try! Let us know if you see any change.

@alexmidd, thanks for writing in. I'm sorry to hear Autofill has been an issue on your S22+.

I just fired up my S22 with Gboard and Samsung internet (your screenshot appears to be from Chrome which I also tested). I was able to sign into the Paypal app and website without issue, including filling the one-time password.

When you open your Paypal item in 1Password for Android do you have a URL saved in the website field and a linked app similar to my example below?

• alexmidd
    alexmidd
    Community Member
    edited June 2022

Hi Timothy

Thanks for your reply.

Firstly, yes the screenshot is from Chrome (I’m not sure how that happened as I never use Chrome on my phone). I am trying it now in Samsung Internet and the result is the same. It has never worked on any browser or app since I changed my phone. I have all the settings set in 1Password and the Autofill setting in the phone set to 1Password.

Secondly, yes I do have a URL set up. I have them set up for most of my logins, and none of them come up as an option in the list when I try to log into them in Samsung Internet or in an app. (I tried to screenshot this but I can’t due to “security policy”.)

So this is why I am a bit nonplussed about it because, as far as I can see, all the settings are set. I assume it must some setting on the phone that’s blocking it as it’s only been on the new phone, but I’ve no idea how to find out what it is that’s causing it.

Alex

This discussion has been closed.