Installation failure when zScaler is present

pglezen
pglezen
Community Member

My colleague was attempting upgrade to 1Password 8 on a Windows 10 machine. She related to me that the install wizard said

1Password was unable to complete the installation and will roll back any changes.

Our work location experiences many issues like this with products due to using zScaler for our perimeter security. I had her verify that she could access 1password.com through her browser. But that could be due to a special proxy configuration there.

Since zScaler intercepts and terminates all our SSL/TLS connections, returning its own certificate which is unknown to any developer tool that hasn't been configured for it, we often encounter grief trying to run installation/update tools that access sites we don't expect. Since we're not sure what sites the installation/upgrade program is trying to access, we can't be absolutely sure it's a zScaler problem.

I was able to successfully install 1Password 8 on my mac with zScaler running. So this could be a Windows security issue. Is there way I could obtain more information from the Windows install wizard?

1Password 7.9.830 continues to work for her.

1Password Version: 8
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 Enterprise 10.0.19042

Comments

• PeterG_1P
    edited June 2022

Hi @pglezen, thank you for bringing this issue to us, and I'm sorry that your colleague encountered it in the first place.

We do frequently encounter issues with Zscaler due to the considerations you've so aptly summarized here. But, much in line with your thinking, I'm likewise not 100% sure that Zscaler is responsible for this particular issue.

Typically, the 1Password was unable to complete the installation and will roll back any changes message occurs because something has blocked 1Password's ability to upgrade at the device / disk level - this is usually a matter of file and folder permissions, or another app actively blocking 1Password's ability to move and change files, rather than a more connection- or cert-based network problem.

My first suggestion would be to try rebooting that device into Safe Mode with Networking (instructions here), and trying to update the 1Password app within that environment.

If that works, it'll accomplish two things:

1. Completing the update that was originally intended
    2. Verifying that the basic nature of the issue is what we think it is

With that done, you can then add 1Password's directory to the allow list of any relevant antivirus, anti-malware, or endpoint security apps on the device. And if it's not clear what device is causing the issue, feel free to contact us at support+windows@1Password.com, with a link to this post, and we'll help you figure it out.

And if it doesn't work, we'll know that we're looking at a different kind of issue and will of course be happy to investigate further on your behalf. I hope this proves a productive start - let me know what you find!

This discussion has been closed.