Is it possible to use 1password CLI on CI/CD scripts?

7ieroc
7ieroc
Community Member

Hello!

I use the CLI on my local environment, putting my password when prompted.

There is a way to use it on a fully automated CI/CD script?

I've tried, but when I run "op account add --address example.1password.com --email example@example" the password is prompted.

Do you have already used the CLI for that purpose?

Thank you for the help :)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• XIII
    XIII
    Community Member

Yes, with a 1Password Connect server.

• 7ieroc
    7ieroc
    Community Member

Great!

I'll try it.

Thanks XIII !

• Hey @7ieroc, sorry for the late response.

Indeed, 1Password Connect is the way to go here. Please let us know how onboarding on using Connect goes for you, and do not hesitate to reach out in the Secrets Automation forum, if you encounter any issues: here
    We're currently also exploring 1Password service accounts, which should solve this problem without needing to host Connect in your infrastructure. Stay tuned for updates about this!

Best,
    Horia

• Hi @7ieroc ,

I'm Sadia, a Product Manager at 1Password, and have some news that may be interesting to you. I am looking for some developers and administrators that would be interested in chatting with me about a new feature our team has been working on: Service Accounts. Earlier this year, we introduced the CLI 2.0, where users can use “run” and “inject” commands to substitute secret references for secrets stored in 1Password vaults. With our new Service Account capabilities, organizations can use a separate non-user account to control and manage access to secrets without deploying additional services like Connect.

We are currently building service accounts to address use cases like yours and want to understand your pain-points and experiences with secrets management, and gather some feedback.

If you are interested, please feel free to reach out to me at sadia.azmal@agilebits.com or sign-up for a 30 minute slot on Calendly. I look forward to hearing from you :)

• sureifyBlaise
    sureifyBlaise
    Community Member

Hi @Sadia.Azmal_1P , Calendly signed me up with Dennis Kromhout van der Meer.
    I'm happy to speak with you also.
    T;DR: I'm building a new CI CD toolchain and we are happy Enterprise customers, so I prefer to avoid the conventional Hashi vault route.

• sureifyBlaise
    sureifyBlaise
    Community Member

Hi @Sadia.Azmal_1P , I completed the application for Service Account access and I wanted to confirm that we have sent the email request to

team at dev-products@agilebits.com to activate the Service Account feature for your team

• Hi @sureifyBlaise,
    Thank you for reaching out! I will be in on that call so I am excited to speak with you too. Yes I did receive the email request thank you, everything looks good.

• Hi @Sadia.Azmal_1P,

Based on this discussion, it seems like this service account feature, with password-less CLI login is available to trial?

This feature is very much needed at our org! I've sent an email to dev-products.@agilebits.com requesting access to this feature, but would also be happy to jump on call with you after trailing it to give feedback.

Cheers,

Teghan
    Data Architect, Felix Health

• Thanks for reaching out! Hope someone already reached out to you. If not, you might still try to message in this thread: https://1password.community/discussion/131233/join-our-beta-test-for-1password-service-accounts-launching-mid-july#latest

This discussion has been closed.