1Password 8 just deleted all my Archived logins

Options
bb1
bb1
Community Member

I'm using 1Password 8.7.1 on my Mac, and have historically used a separate "Archive" vault to keep the logins that were out of date but I didn't want to delete.

I noticed the Archive feature is integrated into 1Password now, so I dragged all the items from my "Archive" vault to the Archive folder (just above the Recently Deleted folder). Everything looked like it went well, with the items now appearing in the new Archive folder, and my "Archive" vault empty.

After a few minutes, I figured I didn't need my "Archive" vault anymore so I deleted it. I went back into the Archive folder just to make sure that the moved items were still there -- and they were not. An empty folder! With no way to get the "Archive" vault back as it was deleted permanently.

1Password, what is going on? Is this a bug? If the UI displays items in a particular location, are they actually there or just pending a move? How do I get my archived items back?

1Password Version: 8.7.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.4

Comments

• Dave_1P
    edited June 2022
    Options

Hello @bb1! 👋

I'm sorry to hear that you're unable to find your archived items. Can you please try the following:

1. Log in to your 1Password account on 1Password.com (in the browser, not the app).
    2. Click All Vaults.
    3. In the sidebar click Archive.

Do you see your archived items here? If you don't then each vault has it's own Archive and if you delete a vault then the items in that vault's Archive are also deleted. The vault deletion prompt displays a warning that the vault's Archive will be deleted along with the vault and asks for your confirmation:

If you can't see the items in the Archive on 1Password.com when using the All Vaults view then it sounds like you moved the items in your "Archive" vault to that vault's Archive and then deleted the "Archive" vault which would have deleted the vault's archive as well.

Do you see the archived items on any of your other devices? Or perhaps the "Recently Deleted" section?

• bb1
    bb1
    Community Member
    Options

Thanks Dave.

I had a look in the Archive of "All Vaults" in the web app, and the items aren't there. Is there any other way to get them back? I have the older .opvault file of the vault from before I switched to v8.

An observation: it's quite an misleading pattern to list Archive underneath the vaults, as if it were a separate folder or a vault in its own right. "Deleted items" might be a better name for it. I doubt I'll be the last one to make this mistake.

• Dave_1P
    edited June 2022
    Options

@bb1

An observation: it's quite an misleading pattern to list Archive underneath the vaults, as if it were a separate folder or a vault in its own right. "Deleted items" might be a better name for it. I doubt I'll be the last one to make this mistake.

I apologize for the confusion and I'll pass along your feedback to the team so that we can investigate if there's a better way to organize the Archive.

I had a look in the Archive of "All Vaults" in the web app, and the items aren't there. Is there any other way to get them back? I have the older .opvault file of the vault from before I switched to v8.

I'm sorry that you weren't able to find the items in All Vaults when you logged in to your 1Password account on 1Password.com. It's not possible to restore a deleted vault once a user has permanently deleted it. However, while I can't guarantee anything, you might be able to restore the items from the standalone vault that you mentioned if the items are indeed inside of the .opvault file.

Can you please send an email to support+forum@1password.com using the email address associated with your 1Password account so that we can look into this further. Please include a link to this forum thread. Once you receive a reply please post the Support ID number here, it will be in the subject line of the email and it will look like this: [#ABC-12345-678].

-Dave

• esquared
    esquared
    Community Member
    Options

I think the underlying problem is it's not at all clear in any documentation what is the intent and meaning of the "Archive" feature. I have items in Archive that I don't remember putting there, but I also have items in "Recently Deleted". The difference in meaning is important, but it's not clear if the thing titled "Archive" is a vault or just a flag on items that are otherwise held in other vaults. I'm guessing the latter, such that the OP then actually deleted the vault containing all the items marked Archive, which (permanently?) deleted them.

Either way, the archive feature need more clear documentation, as does that of "Recently Deleted" - like do items get permanently deleted from the latter? Automatically? If so, when?

• Dave_1P
    Options

@esquared

Thank you for the feedback! I'll respond below:

I have items in Archive that I don't remember putting there

Older versions of 1Password 7 for Mac had a bug where, if you moved an item from one vault to another, a copy of that item would also get archived in the source vault. Do you see duplicates of the items that you don't remember archiving in other vaults?

The difference in meaning is important, but it's not clear if the thing titled "Archive" is a vault or just a flag on items that are otherwise held in other vaults.

The latter. Each vault has its own Archive and if you delete a vault you delete that vault's Archive as well.

Either way, the archive feature need more clear documentation, as does that of "Recently Deleted" - like do items get permanently deleted from the latter? Automatically? If so, when?

Recently Deleted items are stored for one year and are purged afterwards. You can find documentation here: View and restore previous versions of items

I hope that helps. 😊

This discussion has been closed.