PIN Code is removed in security settings

kindman
kindman
Community Member

I use a long complex password for my 1Password app. For daily access I have use the pin code to work faster. After the last update this setting is gone and I have to retype my complex one all the time.
I want to have that function back.

1Password Version: 8.8.0
Extension Version: 80800132
OS Version: Android

Comments

• dsouzadrian
    dsouzadrian
    Community Member

+1 , I was looking for the same and was unable to find it.

While I was there, I noticed 1Password displaying an option to enable biometric login when there isn't a fingerprint reader on the device. Out of curiosity, I tried enabling it and that crashed the app. Probably a low priority issue.

• Hello @kindman, @dsouzadrian, thanks for sharing your interest in a PIN unlock option. We have revamped our security settings to allow unlocking of the 1Password for Android app with your account password or biometric unlock. This is due to the increase in the number of devices that now have fingerprint and other biometric options available. As 1Password 8 showcase a contemporary UI, we wanted our unlock options to follow this trend and provide the most up to date options.

That being said, whether your device doesn't have a biometric scanner or it's simply your preference, I can definitely understand why you would want PIN unlock available. I have gone ahead and added your interest to our tracker for this feature. Thanks again!

ref: IDEA-I-1222

@dsouzadrian, when 1Password crashed did your device prompt you to send in a crash report? If you sent that in could you let us know the make and model of your device as well as which version of Android and 1Password 8 you're running? I'd be happy to track down the crash report in the Google Play Console and share that with the dev team.

• dsouzadrian
    dsouzadrian
    Community Member

Nope, didn't get a prompt to send a crash report. I just tried it again and it crashed again, but no prompt to send crash report. This crash was on the Amazon Fire HD 10 2021 version running 1Password v 8.8.0. It's running fire OS 7 which I think is based on Android 9.

Community Member
    edited June 2022

+1 for the PIN. I stopped using the early access because of this feature missing. I have a modern phone but I don't want to use biometric. My other option was to use a easier password to type, i ended up stop using it.

• Hi @0100110, thanks for weighing in! I'm sorry to hear this has been a deal-breaker with the beta for you. I've added your +1

• @dsouzadrian, thanks for following up. I wasn't able to find a crash report in the Console that matches that description. If you are prompted to send in a report, let us know so we can track it down. I suspect the crash may be related to Fire OS but I'll be sure to pass this along to the team for further review. Thanks again!

• kindman
    kindman
    Community Member
    edited June 2022

That mean for me that I can't use the beta version (and maybe the final version) for my Samsung Tab S6 with biometric option.
    Java.lang.IllegalStateException - from 1P8 tell me that I don't have that biometric option. I need to have the PIN-Code back in the Beta version otherwise I have to check for a different Password manager that allow me to use PIN instead of long crypted, not memorable, master password.

For now I will use the old version to work with

• Hi @kindman thanks for sharing again how and why a PIN unlock option is important for you. Your interest has been noted. Let us know if there's anything else we can help with!

• Wobble
    Wobble
    Community Member

Please add my +1 as well! I will never rely on biometric information regardless of my device type, as unlike a password you can be compelled to provide it in certain scenarios. For me it comes down to ease of use, just because typing my 35+ character password gets tedious every time I open the app :)

• Hi @Wobble, thanks for sharing details as to why this important to you! +1 added.

• JRok77
    JRok77
    Community Member

I would also like an option to use a PIN since the fingerprint sensor on my phone is terrible.

• steberk
    steberk
    Community Member

Hi, please add +1 for PIN unlock.
    I'll never use biometrics for the most important database of my life. Biometrics can be easily forced by bad guys without my assistance and without my ability to prevent it.
    So I stay with the previous version until my subscription expires or the update will be forced.
    Then I check the v8 again and decide to extend the subscription or find a more secure product. Biometrics are unsafe and will always unsafe for a password safe. This is a deal breaker.
    By the way a password safe has to provide plausible deniability in case someone forces the user to reveal the password. (Similar to the hidden volume of the Veracrypt disk encryption)

• Hello @JRok77 and @steberk thanks for sharing your feedback. I've added your +1s.

Steberk, thanks for including those additional points. I'm sorry to hear the lack of PIN unlock has been a deal breaker for you upgrading to 1Password 8.

• tezvienna
    tezvienna
    Community Member

+1 for pin. I have a Xiaomi Tab 5 without fingerprint, face unlock does not work with 1password. So I have to enter the long password very often.

• Thanks @tezvienna, +1 added.

• dbars
    dbars
    Community Member

Another +1 on the pin unlock.

I will not use biometric unlocks as I can be compelled to unlock my phone through them and I have a complex master password. Allowing pin unlock for quick autofill is preferable to the master password.

I will likely end up needing to make a less complex (and therefore, less secure) master password without this PIN unlock or stop using this service and move back to lastpass.

• Hello @dbars, thanks for including this use case and sharing your feedback. It has been noted along with your +1.

Community Member

I guess people should use social network to request the PIN option to unlock. I'm impressed to see how fast you have released a new version with more options for the password requirement every 2 weeks

• Hi @0100110, we track feedback and feature requests from all sources very carefully. Once a decision has been made to add a new option or feature, our development and QA teams really are impressively fast to make it available to everyone.

• WWisey
    WWisey
    Community Member
    edited September 2022

And for those with disabilities who are unable to use biometric? Please bring back the option for PIN

• ag_tommy
    edited September 2022

Thanks @WWisey

I've shared this with the team.

ref: IDEA-I-1222

This discussion has been closed.