Make master password fields to accept non-ASCII characters

____
____
Community Member

I've reported this issue back in Nov 2021 but it still presented in the final release of 1P8 on Mac, for both the app and the browser plugins:

https://1password.community/discussion/124931/master-password-fields-accept-non-ascii-characters

I failed to see why the password field accepts characters that aren't meant for password to begin with. This wasn't an issue back in 1P7 when it use native UI. Now this has become a nightmare as I'll have to click the show password to see what happened as I assumed I entered the correct password with an Yubikey.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Hello again,

Thanks for bringing this up. I forwarded your original request to our developers. While I don't have any additional news to share on this right now, I have bumped the issue on your behalf to see if this is something our development team can prioritize in the near future. Thanks for the prompt to do so, and I hope updates to come will impress you!

ref: dev/core/core#10078

• ____
    ____
    Community Member

There are also other bugs that will not be noticed unless you use specific language. e.g.:

• When the system language is 'zh-tw' (Chinese Traditional) and the locale setting is "use system defaults", 1Password will mistakenly use 'zh-cn' (Chinese Simplified) for some reason. This shouldn't happen as macOS should natively use default language files from the app bundle. I could only assumed its due to non-native UI.
    • Also if you are in Chinese UI, the options will be "簡体中文 (Simplified)" and "簡体中文 (Traditional)", which is incorrect as "簡体中文" means "Chinese Simplified" in Chinese. The correct options should simply be "簡体中文" (for Chinese Simplified) and "正體中文" (for Chinese Traditional).

I really want to love 1P8, but currently it really like going back to 1P5 or something, where everything is beta-ish.

• PeterG_1P
    edited June 2022

Hello again,

Thanks for reporting these additional bugs. We really appreciate it, and I have forwarded reports to our engineering team for everything you've described here. We understand that there is some room for improvement here and I'm happy to advocate for it on your behalf. Thanks again for letting us know - and I'll keep an eye on these!

ref: dev/core/core#11435
    ref: dev/core/core#15912

• ____
    ____
    Community Member

Will this issue ever be addressed after 9 months? Using non-native UI framework would cause issues like this and that's why most people don't like 1P8 since it's no long "Mac-first". And this isn't even a hard to fix issue but cause lots of problems when unlocking the vault. Guess I'm the only 3 non-English users that 1P8 has to run into this.

This discussion has been closed.