1Password 8 quick access shortcut

Options
rbaaboud
rbaaboud
Community Member

Hi,

Since 1Password 8, i have some issues with Quick Access shortcuts.

I can modify the default Quick Access shorcut in the 1Password app Preferences.
But I think that there is another under the hoods shortcut that can't be disabled which is Command + `
This shorcut is the default one for switching between app windows in Mac OS. So... that's pretty annoying :)

Please, help ;)

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @rbaaboud,

You're correct!

⌘ + ` is a global shortcut used by macOS to "move focus to the next window." 1Password 8 also uses global shortcuts to invoke Quick Access, so you can access it while using any other app in macOS.

Further, a global keyboard shortcut can't be used for two different actions at the same time. This is why you can't switch the shortcut for Quick Access to ⌘ +` without first changing the shortcut for move focus to next window in the macOS System Preferences.

If you wish to change the keyboard shortcut for "move focus to next window" you can do so by following these steps:

1. Open Apple's System Preferences and choose Keyboard
    2. Choose the Shortcuts tab and then Keyboard in the sidebar
    3. Select the keyboard shortcut for "move focus to next window" and type in the new shortcut you'd like to use.

I have included a screenshot for reference:

After you adjust the global shortcut that macOS is using, you should be able to use it as a shortcut for 1Password 8.

• Note: for this shortcut specifically, there appears to be an issue with 1Password 8 not recognizing the " ` " key for use with global shortcuts. We're actively investigating this issue internally, and I have added your case to the tracker. Can I ask what kind of keyboard layout you are using?

I apologize for any inconvenience here.

Alex

ref: dev/core/core#15199

• rbaaboud
    rbaaboud
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Alex.S_1P

Thanks for your reply.

I don’t want to change the default MacOS shortcut for « focus on the next window ».
    The fact is 1Password 8 uses this shortcut for Quick Access under the hoods. And I’m saying under the hoods because in 1Password Preferences, I didn’t see this shortcut value for the QA shortcut config.

I think there is a bug here.
    Even if I set « no value » for this shortcut, « command + ` » still triggers QA opening and overrides what I’m used to want : Focus on the next window :)

I’m using a French layout keyboard : AZERTY.

Sorry for tone and brevity, I’m on my phone :)

Thanks for your help

• Hey @rbaaboud

Thanks for getting back to me. 1Password 8 definitely does not use the ⌘ +` keyboard shortcut by default. You can check out a list of the default shortcuts in 1Password 8 here:

Given your keyboard layout, I am wondering if something is not being mapped correctly from your keyboard to 1Password 8. That is to say, when you press ⌘ + ` on your AZERTY keyboard layout, 1Password 8 is interpreting that as a different key combination and invoking Quick Access.

Do you mind sharing a screenshot of what your current keyboard shortcuts are set to under the General heading in your 1Password 8 preferences? Specifically, the ones for Show Quick Access and Autofill ?

Thanks in advance!

Alex

• Maud
    Maud
    Community Member
    edited July 2022
    Options

Hi @Alex.S_1P ,

Thanks for your help on this thread.
    I have the exact same problem that @rbaaboud described here : 1Password 8 overrides the default MacOS ⌘ +` keyboard shortcut.

Here are my settings:

• 1password version: 8.7.3
    • I have a French AZERTY keyboard layout (same as @rbaaboud)
    • My 1password preferences: Keyboard shortcuts (kept default ones):

• Display 1password: [EMPTY]
      • Display Quick access: ⇧⌘Space
      • Lock 1password: ⇧⌘L
      • Autofill: ⌘\
    • In my macOS system preferences keyboard shortcuts, I have:

• Move focus to next window: ⌘`

Here are the corresponding screenshots (in French):

Thanks in advance for your investigation and help on this problem !

----- EDIT -----
    NB: The problem seems to arise only when the 1password app is open (The ⌘ +` original shortcut does work as the macOS default shortcut allowing to move to the next window when the 1password app is closed)

• Hi @Maud:

Thanks for reaching out. If you bind a new keyboard shortcut to the Autofill option in 1Password for Mac, does that improve your state of play? Let me know!

Jack

• Maud
    Maud
    Community Member
    Options

Hi @Jack.P_1P ,
    Thanks for coming back to me !
    Yes, indeed, binding a new keyboard shortcut to the autofill option did the trick, it's all good now !
    Thanks a lot for your help, have a nice summer :)

This discussion has been closed.