Keyboard shortcut working differently in Firefox?

I've been using 1Password on Mac for years. The behavior that is familiar to me is once I'm on a page where I need to input a username/password, I type Command . If the vault is locked, 1Password pops up, I fill in my Master Password and the fields on the webpage are filled.

Now, I have to click in the username field, an icon pops up asking "Use 1Password", I click it and only then am I prompted to unlock my vault.

What changed? Is there anyway to streamline this to the way it used to be? Not a big fan of extra clicks.

Thanks in advance!

1Password Version: 7.9.4
Extension Version: 2.3.2
OS Version: MacOS 10.15.7

Comments

• paul.m_1p
    paul.m_1p
    1Password Alumni

Hi @EnoAudio! Thanks for reaching out to us here.

The Cmd + . shortcut should still be working to open or unlock the browser extension. In your case, there could be a communication issue between the browser extension and the desktop app. Try these steps to see if you can refresh the connection:

1. Right-click the 1Password icon in the browser toolbar and click 'Settings'.
    2. Scroll down to "Integrate with 1Password app" at the end of General section and toggle it off.
    3. Scroll down to "Accounts & vaults".
    4. Sign out of your account and Sign in again.

After that, please give your computer a restart to ensure no pending process prevents 1Password from connecting with the browser. Once your computer turns back on, continue with the following:

1. Open and sign into the 1Password desktop app.
    2. Then go ahead and re-open the web browser and turn on the "Integrate with 1Password app" option again.

I hope this helps! Let me know if things still aren't working as you expect. πŸ™‚

• EnoAudio
    EnoAudio
    Community Member
    edited April 2022

Thanks for your reply. I've learned that what I'm experiencing is the new Firefox extension. I'm used to the Classic behavior - hopefully it will go back to that since it is now an extra keystroke. I prefer Command \ to auto fill the credentials - and if the vault happens to be locked, the unlock screen automatically comes up. Now I have to look, see if the vault is locked and hit Command . to unlock it if necessary then hit Command \ . I'm not a big fan of extra unnecessary steps.

• kevin.li
    edited April 2022

Hey @EnoAudio.

I agree with you on the extra keystroke can be annoying sometimes.

We always strive to improve our users' experience. Happily, as we are speaking, this behaviour is already improved in the 1Password 8 Early Access version. If you are interested, here's a link to download the: 1Password 8 for Mac Early Access πŸ₯° β€” 1Password Support Community.

When working in Firefox with 1Password 8 EA, the shortcut "cmd + \" should unlock or autofill logins as expected.

Let me know what you think.

ref: dev/core/core#12338

• EnoAudio
    EnoAudio
    Community Member

Thanks for the tip!

• paul.m_1p
    paul.m_1p
    1Password Alumni

@EnoAudio On behalf of Kevin, you're most welcome. πŸ™‚

Cheers!

• EnoAudio
    EnoAudio
    Community Member

I've now upgraded to v8. Unfortunately, I'm still seeing the same issue.

When I go to a webpage that needs credentials in Firefox (my default browser), I type Command . If 1Password is locked, the 1Password app comes up. When I type in my password, the 1Password search bar comes up but nothing gets auto filled. I have to click into the username field and type Command \ again.

With my Apple Watch on, all is good. I just have to confirm on the watch which is normal.

If 1Password is unlocked, the behavior is as expected.

Is there any way to return to the old behavior? Type Command . If 1Password is locked, I type in my password and the fields are filled. If 1Password is unlocked, the fields are just filled.

I'm not a big fan of the added keystrokes and complexity. Thanks in advance for any help!

This discussion has been closed.