Bug: Record username randomly set to ********

Options
Rhys Lloyd
Rhys Lloyd
Community Member
edited June 2022 in 1Password in the Browser

The site I was on already had my username filled, so I clicked on the password field, and then on the provided dropdown from 1P.

1P filled the password field, but then also filled the username field with a length of asterisk characters "*". This was annoying, but even _more_ annoying was that 1P also actually overwrote the stored username I had in 1P with a string of asterisks.

Actually, I'll admit that I don't know if the overwriting of the username field happened another time and was just surfaced to me when trying to login. It's just as (if not more) likely that this field had been overwritten at some other point. There is no update record to indicate any user-driven change (as in, me changing the username) on the entry in 1P.

Either way, there was a little bit of panic, as the username was random. Fortunately I was able to restore the username manually from the entry history. But this whole situation makes me pretty nervous and has never happened previously in my 10+ years of using 1P.

1Password Version: 8.7.1
Extension Version: 2.3.3
OS Version: macOS 12.4

Comments

• Hi @Rhys Lloyd:

That definitely isn't the experience we want you to have when using 1Password in your browser. Are you able to share the site where you're running into some trouble? It seems like 1Password may not be recognizing the fields properly, and tried to save the password as the username.

Let me know, and we'll be able to take a closer look.

Jack

This discussion has been closed.