Please don’t auto-submit

TristanBerger
TristanBerger
Community Member
edited October 2022 in Mac

I need to check or uncheck “remember me” checkboxes before submitting.

I need to fill out captchas that pop up after you fill in your login info.

Sometimes 1Password misses the login box entirely, fills my email address into the newsletter signup, then automatically signs me up.

Sometimes the password I’m filling out is a confirmation for deleting some important resources, so 1Password’s “auto-submit” is actually “auto–delete your server”.

Sometimes 1Password expects a 2FA screen but it was skipped because the device was recognized, so 1Password waits until a minute later, when I’m editing login info for a company account, then then automatically overwrites the 2FA secret key and saves the changes.

This feature is incredibly bad. At the very least it needs to not be mandatory.

1Password Version: 8.7.1
Extension Version: None Installed
OS Version: macOS 12.4

Comments

• Hi @TristanBerger:

Thanks for your feedback on this. I've added your thoughts to the internal issue we have regarding this.

Jack

ref: dev/core/core#14506

• TristanBerger
    TristanBerger
    Community Member

Thank you @Jack.P_1P.

• Chris Leishman
    Chris Leishman
    Community Member

I want to loudly second this. I just updated to 1password 8 and it's broken.

The previous version allowed me to disable auto-submit, which I can't find in version 8. I'm literally going to try to downgrade if I can't find it.

1password's job, which it's great at, is storing, retrieving, and filling in passwords. Not submitting forms. Auto submitting forms isn't all that helpful, and it's just so very problematic. Don't do it, or at least make it very easy to disable.

• I've got your voice into the mix @Chris Leishman Thanks for sharing.

• sam.doran
    sam.doran
    Community Member

I would like to request the ability to disable auto-submit on a per-login basis and/or globally. It's funny how I loved auto-submit many years ago and was quite sad when in went away (maybe in 1Password 7?). I didn't realize how I came to actually rely on the lack of auto-submit in certain cases until I began to use 1Password 8.

My particular scenario is a rather uncommon use of TOTP for 2FA. My $job uses token+TOTP as the password when logging in. In 1Password 7 I could hit ⌘ + \ to autofill the username and password, ⌘ + V to paste the TOTP, then Return to log in. It was quite awesome.

I haven't yet found an easy way to append the TOTP to my password in 1Password 8 without more clicks and keystrokes than I would like.

Thanks for all the great work an 1Password. It's truly and indispensable service and application.

• andrew.l_1P
    edited October 2022

Thanks for your kind words and feedback, @sam.doran!

I can absolutely understand how auto-submit would conflict with the workflow you described and appreciate you sharing it. I've added you to the same internal tracker my colleagues mentioned above. 🙂

• sam.doran
    sam.doran
    Community Member

Thank you very much.

• Hi @sam.doran et al., hope you're doing well!

I'm happy to share that this option has made it into our nightly builds. 🎉 If you're already on the nightly release channel you can try it out now, otherwise you can make the switch in your settings to get the next available update (keep in mind these undergo less testing than their counterparts):

If you prefer beta/production I recommend checking that automatic updates are turned on. Whatever you decide, I hope you'll get to try it out soon and look forward to hearing how it goes. 😊

• sam.doran
    sam.doran
    Community Member

This is great news! I'll try it out.

• sam.doran
    sam.doran
    Community Member

This is getting closer, but it's a bit broad since there's only a global toggle. Ideally this could be toggled on a per login basis, which I believe is something that was possible in 1Password 7.

Another capability that I believe is now gone in 1Password 8 is the automatic copying of the TOTP to the clipboard after autofilling the username and password. I understand why this would be gone in 1P8 since autofill is great at filling these in automatically. However, this put a wrinkle in my (rather obscure, I do admit) use case where I need to append the TOTP to the end of the password before submitting.

I am working around this currently using a program I wrote that uses the op command line tool. Ideally this could be accomplished with 1Password 8 directly, though.

Keep up the great work!

• TristanBerger
    TristanBerger
    Community Member

Super happy to see this, thank you!

I’m still missing TOTP filling, too. Maybe by having the password autofill keyboard shortcut also autofill TOTP codes, so you’ve got to hit the shortcut twice, or just do the old behavior of putting it on the clipboard.

• andrew.l_1P
    edited November 2022

Hi @sam.doran and @TristanBerger,

Thanks for trying it out, glad to hear it's mostly working well. I'll pass your additional feedback along to the rest of the team, including the bit about copying TOTPs. 🙂

You know where to find us if you come across anything else in the future!

ref: IDEA-I-913
    ref: IDEA-I-2274

This discussion has been closed.