Webauthn with macOS, Chrome, and Other Uses

Options

Hello,

Wondering about Webauthn support in 1Password for Mac's with Touch ID (e.g., Google authentication, bestbuy.com has a webauthn deployment, etc.). I read this saying it was coming: https://1password.community/discussion/116707/any-update-on-desktop-integration

Any updates?

1Password Version: 8.6.0
Extension Version: 2.2.3
OS Version: macOS 12.2.1

Comments

• Nhat_Nguyen
    edited March 2022
    Options

Hello @William1P,

It is indeed an exciting feature, and I will add a feature request to the development team, and I hope that we will see the 1Password in your browser can work as a standalone version and unlock with biometrics soon. Please be patient and stay up to date with the latest version of 1Password. That is the best way to get all the fixes and features.

Aha!

• PBAdams
    PBAdams
    Community Member
    edited March 2022
    Options

The FIDO Alliance this week published a paper on WebAuthN “Level 3”, which discusses introduces the concept of “Multi-device FIDO credentials”, which sync across devices, and even liken the process to how password managers sync credentials today.

The paper mentions that this would be an OS vendor-level effort, but I’d love to see this functionality in 1Password.

White Paper: “How FIDO Addresses a Full Range of Use Cases” https://media.fidoalliance.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/03/How-FIDO-Addresses-a-Full-Range-of-Use-Cases.pdf

• Thanks for sharing @PBAdams!

You're right, this is certainly an exciting development, and we hope to be able to support this in the future! 😊

• PBAdams
    PBAdams
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @Jeff Shiner - Thanks to you and the 1Password team for joining the Fido Alliance and making this a reality!

I’m really excited to have this functionality in 1Password, and hope one day to have a seamless WebAuthN experience not only on Mac and Windows, but also on iOS/iPadOS and Android too!

👏 👏 👏 👏

• Hey @PBAdams:

We're excited about the future too. Stay tuned! 😁

Jack

This discussion has been closed.