cannot use 1Password on Samsung Tablet with Keyboard Cover

swooding
swooding
Community Member

I have seen this asked at least twice before but both questions were closed without resolution ???

I am using a Samsung S7+ tablet with keyboard cover, and I cannot find anyway to get 1Password to work withe keyboard attached ( which is all the time !)

Sorry if this has been solved and I havent found it, hope someone can help?

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Android

Comments

• Hey, @swooding!

I'm sorry your previous questions were closed without resolution. If you have links to those questions, I'd be happy to take a look at them.

Can you elaborate on what is not working with the 1Password app while the keyboard is attached? Any information about the steps you are taking in the 1Password app as well as what keyboard make/model you are using would be helpful.

• swooding
    swooding
    Community Member

Hi Tyler, thanks for the reply, the previous questions were not mine, but when I searched the community before posting i found a few similar, but there seemed to be no resolution.

The issue I am facing is that when I attach the keyboard cover, then obviously there is no longer an onscreen keyboard, and I am finding that there are no autofill prompts nor any way to bring up 1Password other than switching out of current app and launching 1Password then switching back.

I am using the samsung internet browser, which i find works really well on my mobile with great 1Password integration suggestions at the top of the on screen keyboard, but no good with the tablet. I am using 1Password 8

any ideas welcome !

• Hello @swooding thanks for clarifying that. I'd like to ask you to update to our 1Password for Android beta on your tablet and try a new Autofill option:

After updating to the beta, open and unlock 1Password, tap Settings > Autofill and turn Display Autofill suggestions inline off. After turning inline suggestions off, do you see prompts to fill with 1Password on screen?

• odx
    odx
    Community Member

Just found this thread searching for a solution for the same issue. I can confirm that 1password beta is working just fine with keyboard attached to the tablet (using a Galaxy Tab S7 with book cover). The usage in general is much better now. Thanks!

• Hello @odx thanks for letting us know that worked for you!

• swooding
    swooding
    Community Member

Hi @ag_timothy can i check whether the Version 8.80 Beta for Android is compatible with using external keyboard? I dont seem to see the same autofill options as you advised previously, so I am currently unable to use with keyboard attached? Do I just need to wait and use the prod version until the Beta adds this functionality ?

• Hey @swooding thanks for following up with us. 1Password 8 does work with external keyboards. However, at the moment we have not included the Always show Autofill suggestions below fields setting.

When a physical keyboard is in use, 1Password 7 and 8 should default to suggestions below fields. The Always show Autofill suggestions below fields setting helped ensure that would happen if there was an issue with the device or keyboard.

I just tested a Bluetooth keyboard with 1Password 8 for Android and the Autofill settings showed up on screen as expected. If you don't see the suggestions when using an external keyboard, let me know and I would be happy to help look into it. Thanks again!

• losted
    losted
    Community Member

@ag_timothy

When a physical keyboard is in use, 1Password 7 and 8 should default to suggestions below fields

Unfortunately, this is not the behavior that I see on my Galaxy Tab S8 tablet with standard "book cover" keyboard. Nothing appears under the field in Chrome and the only way to trigger 1pass is to physically disconnect physical keyboard in order to trigger virtual keyboard.

• Hello @losted, thanks for joining us on the forum. I'm sorry to hear about the issue filling on your tablet.

Is Samsung Keyboard set as the default on-screen keyboard on your tablet? If so, I'd like to ask you to download Gboard, set it as the default on-screen keyboard then reattach your physical keyboard. With Gboard set as default do the prompts appear on screen? Thanks again!

• losted
    losted
    Community Member

Hi @ag_timothy. That worked, thanks!

• Thanks for letting us know that worked @losted! You are very welcome.

• arunhlms
    arunhlms
    Community Member

Hi there. I'm encountering this exact issue with the Tab S8 and keyboard cover.
    Whenever I try to autofill on Chrome, Google's password manager seems to trump 1Password and I can never get 1Password to show up.
    Is there any shortcut to surface 1Password to show up?
    The resulting experience has been sub-par, as I've been forced to copy and paste manually from 1Password,

• Hi @arunhlms,

Could you please try the following steps to see if 1Password autofill suggestions will appear via the on screen keyboard or below login fields:

1. Open your device Settings
    2. Tap General Management
    3. Tap Physical Keyboard
    4. Toggle Show on screen keyboard to On.

If Google's password manager seems to still be trumping 1Password, I'd suggest checking that the Google Password Manager is disabled and any stored passwords in it are removed by following the steps below:

Disabling Google Password Manager in Chrome

1. Open your Chrome browser and click the three dots in the top right
    2. Tap Settings > Passwords
    3. Toggle Save Passwords and Auto Sign-in Off

If any saved passwords are showing, once you've confirmed the password has been stored in 1Password, please tap each item and click the Bin icon to remove the stored password in Google Password Manager. This should prevent Google from offering to autofill the password, allowing 1Password to offer to autofill.

I hope this helps

-- Brendan

This discussion has been closed.