Why do I have to retype the master password for each login on IOS even with open 1password app?

ftiemer
ftiemer
Community Member
edited June 2022 in iOS

I'm using 1Password on IOS 15.5 (iPone 13 and iPad pro, 1Password 7.9.6, no V 8 available) as well as Windows 10 (1Password 8.7.2) and installed the 1Password **app **both environments.
Unhappily they behave different:
Windows: Open vault (which vault depends on the used master password, cool feature). As long as the app stays open, every recognized login works fine without retyping the master password.
IOS: No matter if the 1Password app ist open or not, I have to re-type in the master password for each and every login, that's really annoying. And no, I don't use face-ID on any device due to company policies.

Did I ignore an important setting or feature or is this different behavior wanted?

1Password Version: 7.9.6 and 8.7.2
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• Hi @ftiemer :

The behaviour you mentioned is a limitation of our integration with the iOS Password AutoFill feature - when going through Password AutoFill's interface to open 1Password, 1Password is opening in a more restricted mode than when you launch the main app itself. In this more restricted mode we're unable to perform the background tasks necessary to set up things like a perpetual unlock. This means that you'll need to authenticate each time you use Password AutoFill.

Do you have biometrics (Touch or Face ID) enabled on your iPhone? If yes, you can use Touch or Face ID to unlock 1Password so you do not need to enter your password each time.

In regard to 1Password on Windows, this is expected behaviour. If the app itself is locked, you'll need to unlock 1Password again before you can access your data. Can you check the auto-lock settings in the app:

1. Open and unlock 1Password.
    2. Click your account or collection at the top of the sidebar and choose Settings > Security.

What are your auto-lock settings set to?

Alvin

• ftiemer
    ftiemer
    Community Member

Hi @Alvin.L_1P
    many thanks for your explanation. On windows everything works perfect for me, there's no issue.
    On IOS I face the restriction not to use faceID. Thus there is no overseen feature or setting and I do not need to do further search.
    That helped to save time for me, thank you
    Best regards, Frank

• On behalf of Alvin, you're welcome.

• Netpog
    Netpog
    Community Member

I'm also grateful for Alvin's explanation, but I'd like to confirm that I understand it. If I do, then....

Using 1Password on iOS, there is no avoiding the need to re-authenticate for every autofill action. (If a website asks for username and password on two screens, that requires two authentications.) Obviously, this is less onerous with Face ID or Touch.

The only exception is for a URL opened via the 1Password app and using the 1Password app-internal browser.

The above will hold true for any iOS device, with any version of 1Password, due to constraints imposed by Apple Security.

Do I have all this right?

• @Netpog

Using 1Password on iOS, there is no avoiding the need to re-authenticate for every autofill action. (If a website asks for username and password on two screens, that requires two authentications.) Obviously, this is less onerous with Face ID or Touch.

There's a bit of a "secret recipe" that you can follow so that you're prompted to authenticate less often when using Password AutoFill. Follow these steps:

1. Open and unlock the 1Password app on your iOS device.
    2. Tap on Settings.
    3. Tap on Security.
    4. Turn off "Lock on Exit".
    5. Set "Auto-Lock" as desired.
    6. Go back to Settings.
    7. Tap on Advanced.
    8. Tap on Security.
    9. Turn on Password AutoFill under "Always show lock screen for:"

Then try to fill a login again: Use 1Password to fill and save in apps on your iPhone and iPad 🙂

-Dave

• Netpog
    Netpog
    Community Member

Honestly, @Dave_1P, my first thought was "this won't work." But now I'm wondering, "WHY DOES THIS WORK?"
    The only change I made, to match your "secret recipe", was to enable "Always show lock screen for Password AutoFill".

And, yes, THAT WORKS: Each time I tap the suggestion (about the keyboard, perhaps via the key icon) that lock screen dances into view, and immediately away. Which seems pointless, except the entry is made without reauthentication!

So thanks for that, but I must note that this is NOT the behavior implied by "always show lock screen"!
    And perhaps this should be the default behavior, but with a less-ostentatious lock screen?

• Netpog
    Netpog
    Community Member

One glitch that this does not address: when logging into a site with separate pages for username and password (e.g. Xfinity.com), I must specify the 1Password item on both pages (e.g. one of my various Xfinity logins.)

I do understand that the password will not be autofilled without my taking an action, because iOS, but if I'm not using the one-and-only suggested item, then I must pick from the list BOTH times.

In other words, 1Password does not remember which username it just autofilled, on a two-page login. As a result, on the next page, that user's password will not be the one suggested above the keyboard.

• @Netpog

I'm happy to hear that the steps worked for you. 😊

I must note that this is NOT the behavior implied by "always show lock screen"! And perhaps this should be the default behavior, but with a less-ostentatious lock screen?

This is something that we've been discussing internally too and I'll add your feedback to the internal work item that we have open for the topic.

One glitch that this does not address: when logging into a site with separate pages for username and password (e.g. Xfinity.com), I must specify the 1Password item on both pages (e.g. one of my various Xfinity logins.)

The issue that you've mentioned with two-page logins is something that is a limitation of Password AutoFill. Password AutoFill is specifically handled by iOS and doesn't currently offer us the option to support two-page logins.

If you're using Safari then you can use our new 1Password for Safari extension. 1Password for Safari features greatly improved filling capabilities and does support two-page logins. Here is a guide on how to enable 1Password for Safari on devices running iOS and iPadOS 15: Get to know 1Password for Safari on your iPhone or iPad

I hope that helps!

ref: apple-3345

• RobTT
    RobTT
    Community Member

Hi @Dave_1P @ag_tommy @Alvin.L_1P

New user, pretty savvy and absolutely shocked at how poor this iteration of lastpass for iOS (on iPad) is. Trying to do my grandmother a favor by organizing all her passwords and making her more secure. She's an old lady, so I'm trying to disable the need to re-enter her password - ideally once a week. Once every 8 hours is the longest setting I see, which would be acceptable.

HOWEVER, every change I make to settings IS NOT EFFECTED IN THE USER EXPERIENCE. Maddening! I change settings, and it simply doesn't work. Every time I reopen the app, or the browser extension, or any medium, I have to reenter the password.

To summarize, two variances from expected behavior:

1. The advanced settings needed to curate the 'secret recipe' isn't in the version of 1pass I just downloaded. Can't make the necessary changes.
    2. Any change I make to the lock time does not work, forcing me to re-enter the password everywhere (keyboard extension, browser extension, in-app, on website)

Please advise

• RobTT
    RobTT
    Community Member

1pass*

• Hi @RobTT:

The steps Dave shared above were for 1Password 7 for iOS, not 1Password 8 for iOS. The auto-lock timer isn't synced between devices. For example, if you configure the lock timer for my.1Password.com, that wouldn't affect 1Password for iOS, or 1Password for Safari. Similarly, if you set the lock timer in 1Password for iOS for 8 hours, that wouldn't make any changes to 1Password on the desktop.

The 8 hour timer that you're referring to is the lock timer. With it configured to 8 hours, 1Password will remain unlocked for 8 hours, then require Face ID, Touch ID or your account password. We're investigating a separate issue where Face ID or Touch ID may not work as expected. With 1Password 8 for iOS configured to use Face ID, does locking the app and then unlocking use Face ID or Touch ID?

Use Face ID to unlock 1Password on your iPhone or iPad Pro
    Use Touch ID to unlock 1Password on your iPhone or iPad

Let me know.

Jack

• RobTT
    RobTT
    Community Member

Hey Jack, thanks for clarifying. To isolate the problem, the 8 hour 1Pass setting is not being reflected in any iOS interface (browser, in-keyboard in apps)

• RobTT
    RobTT
    Community Member
  • Hi @RobTT:

The auto-lock timer configured in Settings > Security controls when the 1Password app itself will lock. Using 1Password to AutoFill will always require authentication.

1Password for Safari has a separate lock timer, but that only applies to the 1Password for Safari extension, and doesn't affect using 1Password to fill in other browsers or apps.

Jack

• RobTT
    RobTT
    Community Member

@Jack.P_1P seems like a big UX flaw. Enter a password every time you want to autofill? Can you add a ticket to change that?

• Hi @RobTT:

You can use biometry like Touch ID or Face ID to unlock 1Password for filling. With that said, we're investigating an issue where Face ID or Touch ID may report as unavailable in 1Password 8, so if Touch ID or Face ID is enabled on your grandmother's device for 1Password 8 (Settings > Security > Touch ID / Face ID), and she's unable to unlock 1Password with Touch ID or Face ID, that may be the issue she's running into at this time.

Jack

This discussion has been closed.