Your connection is not private.Attackers might be trying to steal your information from my.1password

Dragi
Dragi
Community Member
edited June 2022 in 1Password in the Browser

I have searched all over the internet for a solution but not found anything helpful. I've found dozens upon dozens of threads on this issue but they either resolve themselves or don't get resolved at all!

Everytime I try to sign in to 1password, whether that be on brave or chrome, I get a message that "Your connection is not private" and "Attackers might be trying to steal your information from my.1password", (NET::ERR_CERT_COMMON_NAME_INVALID), (You cannot visit my.1password.com right now because the website uses HSTS.)

Just found out that I can't even reinstall the extension because it says "An error has occurred, Download interrupted".

It worked fine the first months after I got it, but then one day, it just started doing this. For the record, this is happening on my own PC at home where I have full control over the internet connection, and I have not changed anything.

Have tried reinstalling both the browser and 1password, clearing out the cache and all other possible solutions such as running the website in incognito mode.

It seems like 1password has had this issue since at least 2017 and nothing has been done by the developers to adress this issue, really annoying! Been paying for this manager for over two years now and not being able to see my passwords really drives me crazy.

I have attached all the pictures needed to try and resolve this.

1Password Version: 1271
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Windows 10 Pro 21H2
Referrer: forum-search:Your connection is not private

Comments

• HI @Dragi,

I'm sorry to see that you are running into the certification issue we have recently.

Can you upgrade your 1Password desktop app to the most current version of 8.7.2? There is a fix for the certification error that should help with your situation.

After the update, can you restart your computer? Open & unlock the 1Password desktop app first, and then open your browser to test. Let us know how it goes.

• Dragi
    Dragi
    Community Member

Hello @kevin.li,
    Thank you for your fast response.
    Unfortunately when I try logging in to the desktop app I get the following messege.
    And I am completely sure that the details are correct because they are taken straight from the 1password mobile app.

• Hi @Dragi,

Sorry for the ongoing trouble. Let's first try upgrading 1Password for Windows, and it doesn't require you to log in. Here's a demo GIF:

Then, let's try the following steps:
    1. Log in to 1Password.com with your account.
    1. Click your profile logo on the top-right corner of the page.
    1. Choose Get the Apps.
    1. Click Add your account directly
    1. Allow your browser to open 1Password. You'll see your account details in the app.
    1. Enter your Account Password and click Sign In.

In addition, may I ask if you have recently changed your account password? If so, can you try to log in with the original account password?

• Dragi
    Dragi
    Community Member

Hello @kevin.li
    I really appreciate your quick answers.
    It seems my 1password is already up to date and I still can't access 1password.com because of the "Your conncection is not private" error.

• Hi @Dragi,

It looks like you're encountering an issue at the network level. If you don't mind, could you let me know your public IP address so I can take a closer look? To find it, you can Google "what's my IP address" or look next to IPV4 on What Is My IP Address - See Your Public Address - IPv4 & IPv6 to find it.

Then, I'd like to ask you to send in the IP detail to our support so we can take a closer look at things:

support+forum@1Password.com

With your email, let's include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks!

• Dragi
    Dragi
    Community Member
    edited June 2022

Hello @kevin.li,

Here is my Support ID number:
    [#TMY-88678-371]

Thanks!

• ag_tommy
    edited June 2022

Thank you @Dragi. Someone will be with you as soon as possible.

ref: TMY-88678-371

• Dragi
    Dragi
    Community Member
    edited June 2022

Hello @kevin.li and @ag_tommy,

I set-up an Ubuntu virtual machine on my PC and installed chrome there.

For some reason 1password.com worked fine inside the machine, so the problem must be with chromium on my host machine. After realising the problem might be with chromium, (as both brave and chrome utilize it), I installed firefox on my host machine, visited 1password.com there, and that seemed to somehow resolve the issue.

I can now access 1password.com on my host machine in both brave and chrome, use the desktop application and even download the browser extension!

Solution:
    Install firefox on your PC
    Visit 1password.com
    Enter your login credentials and click Sign In
    Now the desktop application, 1password.com in chrome/brave and the browser extension sould be working properly

And if that doesn't work try setting-up a VM and accessing 1password.com inside.

• ag_tommy
    edited June 2022

That is very interesting. I'm glad to hear everything worked out for you. I'll pass your findings along to Kevin.

This discussion has been closed.