Face ID is not working. [Should now be fixed in 1Password 8.10.0-52 update]

jerrytran
jerrytran
Community Member
edited February 2023 in iOS

Face ID is not working in beta. Is ETH is a keychain issue bc I can seem to get it to work after doing the Face ID set up & reinstall & deauthorized the app

Comments

• AustriaXXL
    AustriaXXL
    Community Member
    edited May 2022

I had the same problem - meanwhile, after reinstalling the app, faceID is working again.
    Version 8.8.0 (80800019)

• Smigit
    Smigit
    Community Member

Yeah, I’ve also had issues with FaceID specifically when using AutoFill. I don’t like the need to manually reauth the Safari extension but also don’t want it unlocked for extended periods, so in light of the extension not allowing FaceID I always use AutoFill instead. The 8 beta pretty much always fails to trigger FaceID properly for me when I go to fill credentials which then either forces me to log in manually or to click the FaceID button to deactivate FaceID. I’ve tried reinstalling, rebooting etc.

For now I’m running 7 and 8 together and using version 7 for AutoFill and 8 for any manual edits etc, as 7 is working fine with Auto Fill + FaceID.

• I have not yet made 8 my daily driver. It's almost there, but needs a bit more TLC. Sorry for the trouble folks We'll keep investigating and tweaking things. Hopefully things will clam down in a beta or two. I say that half expect @MrRooni to pop in with a post saying nah we fixed that last night, you should check for updates. He's been doing that to me here lately. lol

• WaitingForGuacamole
    WaitingForGuacamole
    Community Member

I have the same experience. I've uninstalled it, reinstalled it, and it prompts me to enable Face ID. Then it asks for my password to enable Face ID, then every time I try to use it, I get the error displayed above.

• WaitingForGuacamole
    WaitingForGuacamole
    Community Member

I know it's beta, I know not to expect everything to work all the time. That said, Face ID has been broken the entire time, at least for me. It'd be a lot easier to run the app through it's paces if I didn't have to enter a long master password every time I touch the app.

I don't see a lot of traffic on this topic - there are a couple of posts in which people are reporting it broken - should we expect to see this soon-(ish)?

1Password Version: 80800126
    Extension Version: Not Provided
    OS Version: iOS 15.6

• Hi @WaitingForGuacamole

I'm sorry to hear about the trouble. I have not been able to reproduce this issue. Face ID is working reliably / as expected for me. Could you please try something for me? In the 1Password 8 for iOS app please try opening the menu in the upper left-hand corner > Settings > Security. Turn Face ID off, and then back on. Then re-launch the app. After unlocking with your account password does Face ID work on subsequent attempts?

If it still isn't working please note the time where you expected Face ID to appear and it did not, then generate a diagnostic report. Settings > Help > Send Diagnostics. Change the address the diagnostics are being sent to: support+forum@1password.com. Include a link to your forum comment in the email: https://1password.community/discussion/comment/645679/#Comment_645679

When you send the message you should get an auto-reply from BitBot with a support ID. Please post that ID here.

Ben

• WaitingForGuacamole
    WaitingForGuacamole
    Community Member

I’ll get you diagnostics when I get back home - I’ve not only tried turning Face ID off and on, I’ve logged out, uninstalled the app, reinstalled it and set it up again, at which point it prompts me to allow Face ID, asks for my password, then on subsequent attempts it says it “didn’t work.”

Thanks for replying!

• WaitingForGuacamole
    WaitingForGuacamole
    Community Member

@Ben, I uploaded diagnostics, referencing support ID [#QKJ-65272-196]. Thanks!

• ag_tommy
    edited July 2022

@WaitingForGuacamole

We have your report. Thanks for sending it over. I have passed it to the development team.

ref: QKJ-65272-196

• WaitingForGuacamole
    WaitingForGuacamole
    Community Member

I’ll get you diagnostics when I get back home - I’ve not only tried turning Face ID off and on, I’ve logged out, uninstalled the app, reinstalled it and set it up again, at which point it prompts me to allow Face ID, asks for my password, then on subsequent attempts it says it “didn’t work.”

Thanks for replying!

• WaitingForGuacamole
    WaitingForGuacamole
    Community Member

Great, hope it’s helpful!

• doe0john
    doe0john
    Community Member

Also having this issue :( I’m having to use 1PW 7 now

• @doe0john

Can you try the steps my colleague Ben mentioned in this post https://1password.community/discussion/comment/646264/#Comment_646264 You might try uninstalling and reinstalling 1Password 8 and see if that helps.

Please send us the report from your device if you do not find those steps helpful.

• kennonb
    kennonb
    Community Member
    edited August 2022

Same. No suggested fix works. Face ID is broken for me as well. Working fine in v7, and every other app that uses Face ID, so it's definitely something specific to v8 beta. 😕

• defiant
    defiant
    Community Member

Same issue here, reinstalling doesn't fix it

• Jack.P_1P
    edited August 2022

Hi @rharley / @kennonb / @defiant:

We're still investigating this, but in the meantime, I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your iOS device:

Sending Diagnostics Reports (iOS)

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

Jack

ref: dev/core/core#15937

• kennonb
    kennonb
    Community Member

Thanks Jack. I submitted the report but I haven’t gotten a response back yet.

• kennonb
    kennonb
    Community Member

Ok here it is: #HBX-72288-738

• defiant
    defiant
    Community Member

Out of interest @kennonb are you running iOS 16 beta?

• Hi @kennonb:

Thanks for sharing your Support ID. I was able to locate your message, so we'll take a closer look and be in touch soon via email.

Jack

ref: HBX-72288-738

• kennonb
    kennonb
    Community Member
    edited August 2022

@defiant yes. However I need to preface that yes with “only a few days ago”. I upgraded just a few days ago as a last “Hail Mary” to see if it would fix it.

• defiant
    defiant
    Community Member

I’m running iOS 16 beta as well, so I was just seeing if it was a commonality among us

But seems you were still seeing the issue pre beta

I’ll run the diagnostics and send them through soon

• defiant
    defiant
    Community Member

GNB-36195-755

• Hi @defiant,

Thanks so much for doing that. I have located your email and diagnostics report and sent you an email. Let's continue the conversation over there.

ref: GNB-36195-755

• defiant
    defiant
    Community Member

All good, didn't get an email though?

• WaitingForGuacamole
    WaitingForGuacamole
    Community Member

Are there any updates on this issue? Now that 1Password 8 seems to be in general release, I had high hopes, but my experience (even with uninstalling and reinstalling the app multiple times) remains the same as reported above. I have a passphrase of decent length, and I don't mind entering it on my phone from time to time, but every time really starts to make the app difficult to use. And half the time, it's telling me that I have to enter my password before using Face ID for the first time, which is even more frustrating.

As others have said here, Face ID worked brilliantly for me in 1Password 7, and 1Password 8 works brilliantly on my Windows computer. It's just making me not want to use my iPhone for anything that requires authentication anymore.

• Hi @WaitingForGuacamole:

Nothing to share just yet, but we're still actively investigating.

Jack

• defiant
    defiant
    Community Member

I haven't had any repeat of the issues, but if it happens again I'll note the time before submitting the diagnostic report

@Joshua_ag I found your email, I forgot I used a different email account to submit the report

• WaitingForGuacamole
    WaitingForGuacamole
    Community Member

@Jack.P_1P, thanks for the update. If there's more information I can provide, I'm happy to do so. I did just this morning uninstall and reinstall, and it did ask me to log in and then for my permission to enable Face ID, but then failed on my first attempt to use.

This discussion has been closed.