Why did you change the way the search works?

bnfrnz
bnfrnz
Community Member
edited May 2022 in Mac

When I search for the string '@domain.com', 1Password 8 for macOS shows me dozens of entries that have the string 'domain' in it. Why???

When I search for the string '@domain.com', I only want to see items that contain '@domain.com' in it, obviously.

You can't just pull apart my search string, and display every item that matches any random substring between the '@' and the '.'

The '@' and the '.' are part of my search string.

Am I missing something here?

For a lot of my every-day search use cases, this new search-bar is completely useless. This is a significant regression from 1Password 7.

Also, the option "Expand the Search to All Fields" has disappeared. The macOS app now always searches across all fields. In the 1Password website on the hand, the search-bar seems to never expands the search to all fields. It seems to only search the items' title and username.

Two completely different search experiences. Why??

To me, search is a crucial feature for a password manager app. This needs fixing.

Also, unlock with Apple Watch does not seem to work.

1Password Version: 8.7.0
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.3.1

Comments

• PaulCG
    PaulCG
    Community Member

+1 for that. I find search significantly less powerful/useful than it was in 1P7.

• Hi @PaulCG / @bnfrnz:

Thanks for your feedback on this. While I can't promise anything, we're continuing to iterate. This initial release of 1Password 8 for Mac is just that, an initial release, and we're not done yet.

Jack

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member

@Jack.P_1P It's the initial release of 1PW8 for Mac but the search problems were already reported about six months ago then the first early access builds were released. Apart from the well hidden find/filter option and its akward placing nothing has changed. Search is still not able to handle/find substrings/partial words and the new ui/ux is just awful with its extra steps.

• Hi @viswiz, I can understand your frustration on this. We're working to improve the state of play on this and appreciate you bearing with us. We're passing all the feedback on to our developers and using it to inform the changes going forward.

ref: dev/core/core#14001

• staysecure77
    staysecure77
    Community Member

Agreed, 1P7 search was more useful than 1P8 in Mac & Windows

• Towaway
    Towaway
    Community Member

Made an account just to say this.
    From 7 to 8 I didn't notice much difference, which is good and as it should be for the kind of utility program that 1Password is. Been using it since version 3 or 4. Search is a major PITA now. To say the least, the extra Enter required to get to the wanted entry is annoying. Please give me a simple filtered entries list in the main window instead of this dropdown where I need to do extra selection to get to what I want, and that makes is harder to switch back and forth between found entries (because it disappears). I do a lot of searching in 1Password and its much more cumbersome now.

• Towaway
    Towaway
    Community Member

Made an account just to say this.
    From 7 to 8 I didn't notice much difference, which is good and as it should be for the kind of utility program that 1Password is. Been using it since version 3 or 4. Search is a major PITA now. To say the least, the extra Enter required to get to the wanted entry is annoying. Please give me a simple filtered entries list in the main window instead of this dropdown where I need to do extra selection to get to what I want, and that makes is harder to switch back and forth between found entries (because it disappears). I do a lot of searching in 1Password and its much more cumbersome now.

• Hi @Towaway

Thanks for taking the time to write to us. While typing a query in the search bar of 1Password 8, if you press ⌘-Return, the item list will become populated with all of the matching entries in a similar way it was in 1Password 7.

@bnfrnz, you can also use the Find option to search for an exact string. If you press ⌘-⌥-F, then search for your @domain string, you should only see results that match that string. Note: Find does not currently index every field in an item.

Let me know if that helps with your searching workflows. 🙂

Alex

• notnotjake
    notnotjake
    Community Member

@Towaway +1 for search to just... search instead of requiring me to hit enter.

• bnfrnz
    bnfrnz
    Community Member

Thanks, @Towaway. I didn't know about ⌘-⌥-F. Imho, the Find feature should replace the Search feature. Not sure why there are two co-exisiting, but I might be missing something.

And then add an "Advanced" search/find button which triggers a simple UI that asks which fields user wants to search over (of course, all would then need to be indexed, but I don't see how that'd be a problem).

...just my two cents.

Cheers, Ben

• Thanks for sharing your feedback @bnfrnz.

I'll be sure to let our devs know you'd like to see some of the advanced searching features make a return to 1Password 8.

If there is anything else I can help you with, be sure to let me know.

Alex

ref: IDEA-I-289

• ianmurdock
    ianmurdock
    Community Member

I'm having the same issue. There are several logins which all use the same password. I have to change this password every 90 days. I have relied on the expand search feature to look up all the logins with the old password, so I can change them to the new one.

• df1
    df1
    Community Member

I would love to see an option that would allow us to make the search bar inside 1p8 app behave like the find feature

This discussion has been closed.