Authentication timing out (because of Duo 2FA I think?) in 1Password 8

Options
AndrewJC
AndrewJC
Community Member
edited October 2022 in Business and Teams

My company uses Duo MFA to control access to our 1Password accounts. When I was using 1Password v7, once a day I would get a message that said "1Password would like to open Safari," which would then open a Safari window with the Duo prompt in it, then close once I authorized the push to my phone.

Since updating to 1Password 8, it's stopped doing that altogether. I thought this was maybe because there was better integration with the add-in I have installed on Firefox, and that it was using that to determine whether I was authorized with Duo or not (I still get a daily authorization request in Firefox to auth with Duo, just not from the main application anymore).

But in the last week or so, I've been getting a popup a minute or two after starting work for the day in the main 1P app that says "Your authentication process has timed out." If I click the OK button on that, it doesn't seem to come back unless I lock my vault and then unlock it again. At this point, it pops up an MFA prompt in Firefox and then seems to work fine.

So I guess what I'm saying is: 1Password 8 doesn't seem to support refreshing the Duo MFA token in the same way that 1Password 7 did—specifically, if I leave my vault indefinitely unlocked (I work from home so unless I'm taking my laptop somewhere else, I don't bother locking my vault), it won't refresh my authentication and seems to time out trying to do so. But locking it and then unlocking it seems to fix the problem.

1Password Version: 8.7.1
Extension Version: 2.3.5
OS Version: MacOS 12.4

Comments

• nrose
    nrose
    Community Member
    Options

Just wanted to chime in that I've begun experiencing the exact same thing, and I updated to 1Password 8 very recently as well. Same behavior you describe, also with Duo MFA. (Appreciate that end bit about locking it / unlocking it. That's helped!)

• whiskeycola
    whiskeycola
    Community Member
    Options

Hi, just to comment that I am also experiencing the same issue here since updating to v8. Each day I start my computer I get the "Your authentication process has timed out" message. If I quit 1Password and launch it again then I do get the MFA prompt in my browser.

• scoccera
    scoccera
    Community Member
    Options

Yep -- same problem here. I have Duo MFA for company account and 1Password client will just pop up out of nowhere with a dialog stating "Authentication Failed - Your authentication process has timed out. Please try again." on a recurring basis. I will try the solutions above.

Currently using 1Password 8.7.3. Is there a timeline for this fix?

• Hi @scoccera / @whiskeycola:

Thanks for following up. We're continuing to make improvements on this, but I don't have a specific timeline to share just yet.

Jack

• rsteilberg
    rsteilberg
    Community Member
    Options

I get this popup almost every 15 minutes. This makes the app extremely intrusive in my day-to-day use as it takes focus away from whatever window I am working on. Is there any effort ongoing to resolve this bug? It would honestly be better if it just locked my vault until I resolved the Duo issue rather than just popping up every time.

• 1PBusinessUser
    1PBusinessUser
    Community Member
    Options

Any process on getting a fix for this yet?

• jamie_murphy
    jamie_murphy
    Community Member
    Options

Also expericing this. On macs with chrome as default browser 1password just opens a tab without warning. This is really bad as its making staff just trust random duo tabs appearing. (after the recent uber duo MFA attack THIS IS A BAD HABBIT)

Preferably duo should prompt with duo inside its own app, not open an external browser tab.

• rsteilberg
    rsteilberg
    Community Member
    Options

Kicking this so that it's not forgotten. Still very intrusive on my workflow.

• codog180
    codog180
    Community Member
    Options

We are also experiencing this issue. Hopefully there is a fix soon.

• Hi everyone,

I'm sorry to hear about the issue you've seen with Duo and 1Password 8. There are a number of potential reasons the time out message might appear, so it's best for us to troubleshoot this with each of you individually.

Please send a message to support@1password.com from your team or business account email address so we can help get everything fixed up.

Thank you,

This discussion has been closed.