1Password for Safari extension: animated, slow filling?

I switched to 1Password 8 today (don't like the look and feel btw), but don't know if it was there before: the username and password filling in Safari is animated (like simulated typing?), which looks strange and at least feels slow. For comparison, in Edge, the filling is instant and quick.

Is that a feature in Safari? It would be nice to be able to switch it off!

1Password Version: 8.7.0
Extension Version: 2.3.3
OS Version: 12.3.1
Referrer: forum-search:ipassword8 search

Comments

• @kallovsky

Thanks for reaching out! I'm sorry to hear that you're not finding 1Password 8 to your liking. Are you able to share some more details on what it is about the look and feel that don't work for you? I'd love to share your feedback with the team.

I'm having some trouble replicating the behaviour you've mentioned with autofilling in Safari. For me, the experience is consistent across browsers. It's possible that you may have a more seasoned eye than mine, so I'm happy to dig into this a little deeper for you. Are you able to share a recording of the behaviour you mentioned?

• fishbert
    fishbert
    Community Member

I see the same thing. Here's what it looks like:
    https://gfycat.com/cooperativeadventurousdrongo

When clicking on the drop-down menu to autofill, it's fast.
    When using the autofill hotkey, it's slow and looks like animated typing.

• kallovsky
    kallovsky
    Community Member

Thanks @fishbert for recording it - that's exactly my problem! I didn't realize that it's only happening when I use the autofill hotkey, though!

• Raphomet
    Raphomet
    Community Member

Hello, generally happy 1Password user here who made an account just to contribute here. I'm seeing the same issue when using the autofill hotkey. Would really like to see the "instant" behavior again. Thanks!

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hey @fishbert @kallovsky @Raphomet! Could you all let me know the keyboard shortcut you're seeing this issue with?

It's possible that the delay you're seeing is coming from how the extension and app communicate to fill via the shortcut. Please let me know about the above and I will investigate further.

• kallovsky
    kallovsky
    Community Member

Hi @Joy_1P!

I'm using ⌘# which used to be the default on a German keyboard. In the app's preferences, the "Fill in browser" shortcut is set to ⌘\, though. I tried setting this to ⌘# without any change in behaviour.

(I can't set it back to ⌘\ because that's not reachable on a German keyboard, it registers as ⌘⌥⇧7 instead!)

• sitaktif
    sitaktif
    Community Member

Same issue here when using the shortcut!

• kallovsky
    kallovsky
    Community Member

Hey @Joy_1P!

There was an update for the Safari extension - but no change in behavior for me. Is it really that difficult to solve?

• alanshutko
    alanshutko
    Community Member

Same experience here with Command-\

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hey @kallovsky @sitaktif @alanshutko, sorry for the delay in responding. The slower filling you're seeing is expected to a degree in Safari. This is because in Safari, cmd+\ utilizes auto-type in order to fill. That said, if things are filling significantly slower or if it's happening on all your websites, please let me know. I can definitely report such issues to our developers.

• alanshutko
    alanshutko
    Community Member

It may be expected, but it's also a degradation from the 1P7 experience. It is also slow enough that it makes long passwords a bit painful to use, because I'm sitting there watch something that used to be instant.

It's another piece of friction added to the 1P experience, making it a touch worse.

• kallovsky
    kallovsky
    Community Member

I also see the switch to 1P8 as a disappointing degradation. I hate the non-native app and I don't see any improvement for me over 1P7, which was just working (and what else should a password manager do?). I will change back and will evaluate a switch to iCloud keychain for my family account.

As this (small) issue demonstrates, the Mac is not 1Password's focus any more…

• Hi @kallovsky / @alanshutko:

Thanks for your feedback on this.

Jack

• frankly
    frankly
    Community Member

I want to add my feedback to say that I am not a fan of this behavior. The issue I have is that I hit ⌘\ follow by the Enter key too quickly, I get a password error because Safari and 1Password have not finished "typing" my password.

• Hi @frankly:

Thanks for your feedback. Just as a note, when you use ⌘+\ to fill in Safari, 1Password will also press enter for you.

Jack

This discussion has been closed.