[1P8] [Feature Request] Recovery Codes Item

Jagalor97
Jagalor97
Community Member

Since 1Password handles my 2FA and is very good at it; The one thing that I've been thinking it has been missing is something along the lines of a way to store those pesky recovery codes. Right now I typically store them in a secure note and link them to the main login. As depicted in this image.
While this does make sense as a use case of the secure notes an alternative I've been doing is a section that is full of separate "passwords" comprised of the recovery codes. This is also quite silly. So the final thing I was able to come up with was a separate dedicated 'Item' that handles recovery codes. Perhaps with a way to mark the code as "used" as the recovery codes are primarily single use. I'm not sure if this has been suggested before, and I'll admit I'm a tad lazy and hadn't checked.

Comments

• Hello @Jagalor97, thanks for joining us on the community forum!

I think this is a really interesting idea. Outside of creating multiple separate password fields for each recovery code would adding them to text fields in your Login item work for you? I've added an example below:

Let me know what you think!

• ethomp
    ethomp
    Community Member

That is similar to the way I've always handled it. I add the recovery codes to the Notes field and then usually attach the file many recovery field screens offer as a related item/attached file.

Previously, adding a file created a related item. Now, that's still available (an additional couple of steps now), but there's also the option now to attach file to the main entry. That's a definite improvement for things like cross-vault work that really didn't approve of items with linked files when moving an item to another vault. 😉

• Hi @ethomp, thanks for sharing your thoughts! I'm a fan of attaching files directly to items myself. The new option to take photos through 1Password 8 for Android when attaching a file has been the cherry on top for me.

This discussion has been closed.