Help Overwriting Wrong Data / Migrating Updated Data?

plzhelpmenow
plzhelpmenow
Community Member
edited June 2022 in Mac

I had an old version of 1Password (4) that stopped being supported by Chrome. I was told to upgrade to version 7 by the 1Password folks and followed their instructions to migrate my data over. But something weird happened — somehow, my 1Password 8 on Mac has old, outdated data. Like, it's literally missing years' worth of password, but includes old one. Expired credit card numbers that I've updated, etc.

Before I upgraded, I made a copy of the 1Password.agilekeychain file just in case something bad happened. I still have this file on my Mac.

1Password wants me to try to replace the outdated vault with the data on my iPhone app (deleting whatever's in the online vault first), which is up-to-date. But I'm scared to do so in case it screws up the way it did the first time I tried with my Mac. I was hoping I could somehow just upload that .agilekeychain file / overwrite this old vault somehow.

FYI this is happening on two different Macs, one that's newer and one that's older.

Anyway, before I try these steps using my iPhone which I'm super nervous about, I figured I'd check here first in case you all have any ideas. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

1Password Version: 7.9.5
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 10.15.7

Comments

• Hi @plzhelpmenow :

I'm sorry for the trouble you've experienced with 1Password after migrating your data over to 1Password 7. We'll need to take a closer look at how 1Password is currently set up. Can you send us a diagnostics report from your Mac?

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com (change the 'To:' address to this one from the default). With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

Alvin

• plzhelpmenow
    plzhelpmenow
    Community Member

@Alvin.L_1P OK I just created the report and sent. the Support ID number is #GXW-58852-932.

also, my existing troubleshooting email thread is #IPU-67395-977.

thanks!

• Thanks so much @plzhelpmenow . I can see that my colleague, Muhammad, has sent out a reply. Let's continue the conversation via email. 🙂

ref: GXW-58852-932

• plzhelpmenow
    plzhelpmenow
    Community Member

@Alvin.L_1P the response time from 1Password support has been absolutely atrocious thus far. I just responded to Muhammad so hopefully this time it goes smoother. But waiting 3-4 days for responses when you all can't troubleshoot this with me in real time has been frustrating to say the least. And now I'm PAYING for the product annually, which makes it even worse.

So hopefully Muhammad is more responsive than what I've experienced thus far. Otherwise, I'd prefer to continue troubleshooting here through the forum, or the other email address.

• Hi @plzhelpmenow, I apologize about the response time - we'll do our best to speed things up, and look forward to resolving this issue for you fully.

• plzhelpmenow
    plzhelpmenow
    Community Member

@PeterG_1P you responded in this thread sooner than i can get a response to my email from thursday evening. can we just troubleshoot here?

• Hi @plzhelpmenow:

To protect your privacy and security, we're unable to discuss specifics here about your account, or the state of the vaults you may have on any of your devices. Due to this, an email conversation is best, as we're able to look at diagnostics reports you've sent in, as well as confirm the state of your account. It looks like we replied to your email a bit after you most recently posted here.

Jack

• plzhelpmenow
    plzhelpmenow
    Community Member

OK. you all keep suggesting to use my iPhone because the good data is on there, and i keep repeating that i have no trust in 1Password to not screw up this migration / linking my membership account there first because your steps already resulted in me losing my good, up-to-date data on my Mac.

i've asked half a dozen times now with no reply — does the original, good version of the 1password.agilekeychain file help? can i use this file somehow to access my good, up-to-date passwords on my Mac without first messing with my iPhone? because as i mentioned over email, i made a copy of that file BEFORE i signed up for the account membership and tried migration. i assumed my good, pre-online migration data would be in this file. is that not right? is there nothing we can do with this file instead of screwing with my iPhone? because at this point, i'm hugely concerned that trying this with my iPhone is going to result in me losing all my data there too, and then i'll have lost all my passwords and info EVERYWHERE.

• plzhelpmenow
    plzhelpmenow
    Community Member

Update: I think Support was able to figure it out without messing with my iPhone and we're good. Now they're going to help me with the iPhone, but my Mac seems to be good now. Thank goodness!

• Hi @plzhelpmenow:

I'm glad to hear one of my colleagues was able to get you sorted with your Mac via email. To avoid duplicating our efforts, I'm going to go ahead and close this thread. Thanks for your patience on this.

Jack

This discussion has been closed.