Flatpak Browser Install

Options
jbhardman
jbhardman
Community Member

Coming back to this question: https://1password.community/discussion/122270/flatpak-firefox-integration

Is there any permissions I can change with Flatseal to allow it? Even if it breaks the "sandboxing security"? I already entered my browser's environment and added the NativeMessagingHosts file from the .config directory.

1Password Version: Not Provided
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: Not Provided

Comments

• jbhardman
    jbhardman
    Community Member
    Options

I found this in the log file (~/.var/app/com.brave.Browser/config/1Password/logs/BrowserSupport/1Password_rCURRENT.log)

process detected it was running without libc's security, aborting

So I don't think opening permissions with Flatseal can fix that.

• jbhardman
    jbhardman
    Community Member
    Options

Is there an official Feature Request form? Or just posting here?

• Hi @jbhardman, thanks for this question. I'm going to follow up on this one for you and should have more for you shortly!

• Hi @jbhardman, back once again. 👋

I've asked around about this and have the following for you:

• What you're proposings regarding Flatseal may be possible. You'll need to grant the Flatpak access to the /opt/1Password directory at a minimum so it can access 1Password-BrowserSupport.
    • Another issue may be that the browser's $XDG_RUNTIME_DIR won't line up with 1Password's, causing BrowserSupport to look in the wrong place for a UNIX socket.
    • Overall, we think that the sandbox adjustments made to your config wouldn't likely cause any serious security issues, so you're welcome to tweak and trying things out - just know that this is something that AFAIK hasn't been the subject of extensive investigation here, which is why I'm not able to give you a more straightforward "here's what to do" kind of answer at the moment.

In any case I hope this provides some helpful information - and we'll welcome the results of any testing you'd like to share!

• jbhardman
    jbhardman
    Community Member
    Options

Try as I might, I can't get any permissions to get this working. Other's have pointed out the problem for longer than I have here: https://github.com/flatpak/xdg-desktop-portal/issues/655

I guess it's probably a no-go for now.

• Thank you for giving it a try, @jbhardman. I know that this is something our devs are looking into, but unfortunately my ability to help with it is somewhat limited given the restrictions described in that GitHub issue. We'll keep looking for solutions on our end (and I'm personally keeping an eye on this too).

This discussion has been closed.