1Password 8 + 1Password for Safari = very slow Safari

richardbottiglieri
richardbottiglieri
Community Member
edited May 2022 in 1Password in the Browser

I just submitted this review on the Apple App Store. There is a significant performance degradation in Safari when using 1Password 8 with the 1Password for Safari extension (available on the Mac App Store).

This extension when implemented with 1Password 8 for Mac significantly slows down Safari. It's noticeable when you start Safari (takes longer), and the application itself is just bogged down too. I never had this issue with 1Password 7. This performance hit exists on my Intel an M1 based Macs. Just for giggles, I ran the Speedometer benchmark in Safari with the extension enabled and disabled. There's close to a 100 point difference, so this is measurable.

I removed this extension and 1Password 8 from my Macs, reinstalled 1Password 7, and all is well again. If 1Password 7 is working for you, do not upgrade to this until the kinks are worked out. I'm holding off for now.

1Password Version: 8
Extension Version: 2.3.3
OS Version: 12.3.1

Comments

• Hi @richardbottiglieri, thank you for this report. I'm sorry to learn that you encountered this issue, and it's certainly not what we'd expect for typical performance.

I recognize that you have now rolled back to 1Password 7, but if you are open to trying 1Password for Safari again in the near future, we'd be happy to investigate any issues you may encounter. We're here to make sure the apps work properly for you, and that when something does go wrong, that the issue can be reported to our developers and promptly fixed.

Thanks again, and best regards from our team 👋

• axel_luedecke
    axel_luedecke
    Community Member

Got the same problem here. Since upgrade to 1Password 8 Safari start is quite slow, compared to 1PWD 7!
    I'm using Safari 15.4 on macOS 11.6.5 (Big Sur) with iMac (3.4 Ghz Quad-Core i5, 2017). Using 1Password 8.7.0 and 1Password for Safari 2.3.3

• theengine
    theengine
    Community Member

I have this issue too. Willing to help get it resolved if needed.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    edited May 2022

Hey @axel_luedecke and @theengine! I'm sorry for the issues you're both seeing. Just to check, are you measuring the speed of your browser with Speedometer?

I do want to note that we have an open issue regarding this for our developers to investigate, and I'm happy to add your posts here to it. In the meantime, one of our developers shared their thoughts on the matter here.

I hope that provides some context around what's happening. Let us know if you have any further questions!

ref: dev/core/core#9024

• axel_luedecke
    axel_luedecke
    Community Member

it is not so much the "speed of the browser", it is mainly the time to START the browser which is noticeable. Before, when starting Safari it was instantly opening (fraction of a second = instantly), NOW it takes 3 - 4 seconds before the window appears

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

@axel_luedecke To clarify, are you talking about the Safari window taking a longer time to appear when you try to open it? Or are you talking about the extension window taking a longer time to open when you try to unlock your account?

• axel_luedecke
    axel_luedecke
    Community Member

here I am talking about the main Safari window to appear in general. This was instant with 1P7. However, when hoovering over a login field to expect to see to open 1Password, there alsoi is a noticable lag beforethe 1P logo appears

• theengine
    theengine
    Community Member

My issue is the same as axel_luedecke. The situation arises on first opening of Safari after boot up. With 1PW 7 the Safari window appeared "instantly". With 1PW8 there is a 4 second delay. After quitting Safari and reopening, without rebooting, it is almost instant, every so slightly slower than with 7. Browsing and extension opening shows no degradation.
    I have a late 2013 mac, on the last of its versions of Catalina, but with an SSD fitted.
    Hope this helps.

• jeffwhitfield
    jeffwhitfield
    Community Member

Was running v8.7 on a new M1 Pro MacBook Pro. Stupid slow with lots of websites that couldn't be autofilled. Went back to v7 and no problems. Hope they fix all this soon. :(

• ag_tommy
    edited May 2022

@jeffwhitfield

Have you talked with my colleagues in email support? The more data points we can gather the better our chances of finding a resolution. I am using it on a M1 and do not encounter trouble.So this is both a weird and interesting problem. Please email us using support@1password.com. Be sure to use the email address tied to the account in question and we'll be happy to gather some logs and hopefully find a resolution for you.

cc/ @theengine

• bamand7
    bamand7
    Community Member

Similar problem here. It takes probably 5-7 seconds from when I enter my password until the extension opens. With 1Password 7 this was never an issue. I wish I didn't upgrade.

• maesk
    maesk
    Community Member

Same for me, 1Password 8 is extremely slow and I frequently see the beach ball when opening it from a browser. Then it takes about 10 seconds to fill in the password. 1Password 7 was nearly instantly.

• gmaclennan
    gmaclennan
    Community Member

I've been struggling with Safari being slow for a few weeks now. Interactions like opening new tabs and navigating to the address bar (Command-L) were painfully slow. I thought it was my computer, but I just de-activated the 1Password extension and it's back to normal speed again. Would love a fix to this since I use 1password all the time.

Safari Version 16.0 (16614.1.25.9.10, 16614)
    1Password for Mac 8.9.8 (80908009)
    MacOS 11.7
    MacBook Pro 15-inch, 2019, 2.3GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9

• ttyS0
    ttyS0
    Community Member

For me, the core functionality just stalls out, which is highly annoying. Sure, it lets me generate a password for a new site, but when I click "Save" the dialog just hangs, never closes. I then end up needing to go through the sign up process again and copy/pasta the generated password. This started happening after the last update.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hi @gmaclennan, I'd like you to reproduce the issue and then send over the following so we can take a closer look at what may be going on:

Attach the logs and diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks!

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni

Hi @ttyS0, the issue that you're running into is strange. Could you try the following to see if it helps?

1. Right click the 1Password icon in your browser toolbar and choose Settings.
    2. Under General, disable "Integrate with 1Password app".
    3. Under Accounts & Vaults, sign out of your account.
    4. Sign back into your account.
    5. Go back to General, and re-enable "Integrate with 1Password app".

If that doesn't help, I'd like you to try and save a login to reproduce the problem, then send over the following:

Attach the logs and diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks!

• RetroYogi
    RetroYogi
    Community Member

I am also encountering a slow Safari experience when the 1Password extension (2.4.1) is enabled.
    Specifically the app launch is slower on my Intel Mac. When 1Password is enabled Safari takes 3-4 seconds to start. Even when it has just been quit (still in memory). When the 1PW extension is disabled Safari opens within a second. I've done some testing and it seems that my other extensions don't really impact Safari's startup time.

• Hey @RetroYogi,

I'm sorry for the trouble, could you please also send over some logs so we can take a closer look?

Please attach the reports to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com with a link to this thread.

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

• bennett
    bennett
    Community Member

@Joy_1P I've been having issues with Safari performance for the past few weeks, and stumbled onto this thread while troubleshooting (1Password extension has been slow too, so I figured they might be related).

I ran through the troubleshooting steps posted above (disable app integration, sign out of account, re-enable app integration) and it seems to have helped pretty dramatically. Cheers!

• Hey @bennett,

I'm sorry for the trouble you have been experiencing but I'm glad the steps have improved things for you. I hope things are smooth sailing from here on but please let us know if there is anything else we can help with at all!

This discussion has been closed.