cannot specify a default vault for saving new items in app preferences

Options
runnermule
runnermule
Community Member

The macOS app does not have anywhere in Preferences to specify the default vault for saving new items. This was previously set to a different vault than Personal, but was lost when upgrading to 1Password 8. I was surprised to discover that new logins were being saved to Personal which i don't use, because it defeats sharing even with myself (using an alternate e-mail alias) as a defense against accidental loss of access to my password vaults.

In Vivaldi and Chrome using the browser extension I can specify the default vault for saving to something other than Personal. Why only in the browser extension, and not in the app?

1Password Version: 8.7.1
Extension Version: 2.3.6
OS Version: macOS 12.4
Browser:_ Vivaldi
Referrer: forum-search:save to

Comments

• runnermule
    runnermule
    Community Member
    Options

I can also use the Safari extension to specify a default vault.

• ag_tommy
    edited June 2022
    Options

@runnermule

At this time, setting the saving vault selection within the browser extension is the best option I can suggest. I would be happy to provide your feedback to the team for future consideration.

ref: IDEA-I-292

• brian163
    brian163
    Community Member
    Options

Can you add me as a +1000 for getting this feature back? I just can't grasp the design logic in having a "Save new items in" option in the browser extension and not the primary app.

More and more I feel like using 1Password 8 is like finding yourself in a new relationship and realizing everything you ever really wanted or needed was in the previous one. :,-(

• Noted.

• runnermule
    runnermule
    Community Member
    Options

This is still not fixed. Having new passwords store in Private is wrong when there is no easy way to have them store into a selected vault, e.g. for sharing with another family member. The app settings should be the primary primary place to do this, not having to resort to settings through a browser extension. This inconsistency is very confusing to family members, my wife for instance. I cannot help her when her passwords are hidden from me.

• 1passpudinski
    1passpudinski
    Community Member
    Options

Yes this is a problem. And even setting it in the browser prefs to a new default vault does not work in the browser either.

• Thanks for surfacing this use case, @runnermule, I can understand why the ability to set a default vault would be especially useful here.

@1passpudinski,

I'm sorry to hear the default vault from the browser extension isn't behaving as expected. If you're open to sharing more about what you're seeing, I'd be happy to troubleshoot with you. Let me know. 👍🏻

This discussion has been closed.