Email area in 1Password using Fastmail

Options
prime
prime
Community Member

I am changing emails to masked emails using FastMail. When all goes well, there is a new section in 1Password login area that's for the masked email for FastMail, and it's great. There has been a few times where all doesn't go 100% correct, and that area isn't there. When this happens, I hit edit, but I can't add that email section at the top of a login. Is there a way to add this email area at?

1Password Version: 8.7.1
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: 12.4

Comments

• prime
    prime
    Community Member
    Options

Anything for this?

• Alekzander
    Alekzander
    Community Member
    edited August 2022
    Options

Hi, i have the same problem.

On some sites it works without any problems and the Create Masked Email option appears in the email field but on some it simply doesn't appear even if it's an email field. My guess is that 1Password doesn't see that specific field as an email field but in this case it would be nice to have an option that allows you to manually select to Create a Masked Email for that specific entry.

Because if 1Password doesn't see the field as an email and doesn't offer you the option to Create a Masked email the only option you have is to go to Fastmail, manually create a Masked Email for that Site and manually enter it after and save it into 1Password. The problem with this is if you manually do it like this, if won't automatically be associated as an Fastmail field into 1Password and you won't benefit from the block emails from this address option that 1Password offers directly from the app, which defeats the whole purpose of the 1Password and Fastmail integration.

I have attached 2 screenshots, one from one site that offers the Masked email option and the other one from a site which doesn't offer it.

I really think this is important and i would really like somebody from the team to address it because both services are payed and these options are detrimental for the integration of both services...

And btw i'm not using Mac, i am on Windows 10 Pro with the 1Password extension on Microsoft Edge and i'm encountering this on a lot of sites on which i want to change my current email address with masked ones from Fastmail...

• Hi @Alekzander / @prime:

As it currently stands, if 1Password in the browser isn't used to generate a Masked Email, then there isn't any way to create that "email" section in 1Password. I can definitely see how it would be handy to generate Masked Emails on demand though, so I've added you both to an internal request we have tracking this.

Jack

ref: IDEA-I-640

• Alekzander
    Alekzander
    Community Member
    edited August 2022
    Options

Hi @Jack.P_1P

Thanks for your answer and for adding it to that internal request.

Related to the "created masked email" option being available only if you are using the 1Password Browser extension i already knew that because this is the only way it works as you said...

When i started using 1Password with Fastmail i decided to change most of my accounts email with a masked email from Fastmail. Now in most cases it worked without a problem even if the accounts were already created, 1Password recognized that email field as it should and gave me the option to create a masked email to replace the older one i had. And also for new created accounts it always worked and never had a problem.

The problem is that when i tried to change the email of some accounts (and there are a few), 1Passowrd didn't show that "create masked email" option and the only way i could do it is by going into the Fastmail client and manually create a masked email for that account and after manually add it to the 1Password entry assigned to that account.

If you do this manually you won't get the option in 1Password to directly block email from that address and you would have to manually go to the Fastmail client and block it yourself, which kind of neglects the whole purpose of the integration...

I've added below 2 screenshots that contain one entry that was automatically added by 1Password because it recognized the email field and offered the "create masked email" option and another one that was created and added manually by me because the option didn't show in the email field of that site/account where you had the possibility to change the email.

As you can see, the one automatically added and recognized by 1Password has the option to directly block the emails from there and the other one doesn't. It would be really great if the team would consider a way of offering an alternative if the "create masked email" option doesn't show.

With all due respect for you, your team and work, because i really like both 1Password and Fastmail also, but i really think this should really be considered more seriously by the team and maybe moved a little higher in the priority list because this is the whole point of the integration, if i don't have that option i won't benefit from it, i would have to do every step manually. Also saw a lot of people complaining and asking about this online since the integration and masked email option were introduced, and kind of the same answer from you guys.... Now i know it's easier said than done but i think it really needs to be stepped up a little because when an alternative will be available, we would have to go all over the process of changing emails for the accounts that were not automatically recognized...

• Hey @Alekzander,

Thanks for your kind words! I appreciate you taking the time to share additional feedback about this. While I don't have any updates presently, I understand your urgency and agree that this is an important part of integration. I'll share these thoughts with the rest of the team. 👍🏻

• Alekzander
    Alekzander
    Community Member
    Options

Hey @andrew.l_1P

Many thanks also, appreciated.

• On behalf of Andrew, you're very welcome!

Jack

This discussion has been closed.