Feature request: Reset the search field

chris55
chris55
Community Member

Having the search button always there at the bottom of the app I’ve found myself constantly using that rather than scrolling the item entries.

At the moment it saves the previously searched term, which is fine, but to start a new search you have to reach the top of your device, clear the field, press the search field and search for your new term.

It would be great if you could long touch the search button which clears the current search and brings up the keyboard for a fresh search.

Comments

• chris55
    chris55
    Community Member

Re bumping this.

This could work similar to spotlight on iOS. Going back to the search leaves the previous search with the text selected. Giving you 2 options, if you aren’t done with the previous search it’s still there. If you want to search for something new, the field text is already selected allowing you to immediately type a new search

• EggsAndAvo
    EggsAndAvo
    Community Member

I would love to see this

• 6awfpa3i
    6awfpa3i
    Community Member

+1 from me

• Hi all,

The Search has been moved to its own tab. The reason for this is for the reason above and others. It lets you keep your search results, and also lets you view them in their own tab instead of "taking over" the other tabs. This can be useful in other ways, like comparing one item to another, copying data from one item to another, etc.

Cheers,
    Kevin

• chris55
    chris55
    Community Member

@ag_kevin

You might have misunderstood what I meant. I know there is a search tab at the bottom, that’s absolutely great.

Once you tap this search, as you say it shows the previous search. What is my suggestion, when you tap search it highlights the text in the search box. Simultaneously allowing you to see the current search AND allows you to start typing a new search straight away.

Currently you have to backspace your current search before beginning a new search. Which gets tedious.

I’m suggesting what happens currently with the spotlight search behaviour

• jcwacky
    jcwacky
    Community Member

There is one obvious improvement that can be made here, to make the search feature more in line with iOS expectations:

When tapping the 'x' icon to clear the search field when the keyboard is not active, it should automatically activate the keyboard. This is how it works in most iOS apps, including the built-in Contacts app.

To elaborate, and reproduce the issue:
    1. Search tab, and enter a search term.
    2. Tap on a result.
    3. Tap/swipe to go back to the Search results.
    4. Tap the 'x' icon in the search field to start a new search.

What happens:
    You get this useless screen:

What I expect to happen:
    The cursor is placed in the now empty search field, ready for a new term to be entered:

• chris55
    chris55
    Community Member

@jcwacky

You still need the step of pressing “x”. In spotlight, going back for a search displays the current search AND highlights the field so you can go into a new search straight away.

• Hi @chris55 ,

Ah, I believe I understand your request now. Yes, we can certainly consider selecting when you go back. I'll raise an issue with the team.

Cheers,
    Kevin

ref: 16764

• jcwacky
    jcwacky
    Community Member

@chris55 Yep, I agree that that can be handy, but it's not as common in actual apps, whereas showing the keyboard when tapping 'x' is common. This is really a separate request, but I added it here as if implemented it would go some way to improving your described scenario.

• fdavis99
    fdavis99
    Community Member

I really miss search on all tabs. My biggest loss from V7, which had perfect search ui

• viswiz
    viswiz
    Community Member

@fdavis99 I couldn't agree more. Search in all previous 1PW versions had a perfect search UI (mobile and desktop). The current implementation is a major showstopper for me.

• EggsAndAvo
    EggsAndAvo
    Community Member

Lots of requests to improve this. Please listen 1password!

• janpeeters
    janpeeters
    Community Member

Yes, I'm also missing search on all tabs. It is clearly not designed how users normally use the app on iOS. With many entries, Search is the main thing you do during daily use. Maintaining your passwords is just of secondary importance.

• mirv
    mirv
    Community Member

I'm not sure if I need search on all tabs. But it would be nice if the number of taps to get to search from anywhere (particularly when opening the app for the 1st or the nth time) would be minimized as much as possible. I agree that search is the most common thing I do when using 1Password on iOS.

• TheDave
    TheDave
    Community Member

I really miss having a context-aware search available anywhere. For example, how do I quickly search just the vault that I'm currently in without getting clutter from my other vaults? Or from a tag? An obvious UI implementation used all over iOS would be to hide the search "above" the default viewpoint.

I like having a single global search tab, that's not only useful but very discoverable (my mom never ever finds search features unless it is a separate tab), but global is not always that useful.

• chris55
    chris55
    Community Member

This is now a thing in the latest TestFlight. Such a better search experience 👌🏼👌🏼👌🏼

This discussion has been closed.