1password spawning new high CPU consuming processes with the Firefox extension

Options
sentros
sentros
Community Member
edited March 2022 in 1Password in the Browser

I'm running 1Password for Mac 8.7.0 80700028 and Firefox developer edition 99.0b8 with the 1password beta browser extensions version 2.3.3. I have no issues with the browser extension when "integrate with 1password app" is unchecked. However when integrating with 1password app I'm experiencing very high CPU usage and slowness from the extension.

When I try to click on the 1password icon in Firefox it is stuck in loading for a very long time.

Once the loading is complete it asks for my vault password. It does not prompt me for apple watch unlock even though I have it set up in 1password desktop. It also prompts for the vault password even though the desktop 1password is unlocked.

Also in addition to this if I keep clicking the 1password icon in Firefox it sometimes shows me a list of credentials instantly but 50% of the time it shows another loading screen before showing the credentials. Also every time I get a loading screen 1password seems to launch another high CPU consuming process which is run indefinitely.

My theory is that Firefox extension tries to spawn a process that tries to communicate with the desktop 1password but the process goes into a loop and then the Firefox extension falls back to working locally.

From a user experience perspective this is pretty annoying. Not only does it make using 1password inconsistently slow but it also spawns processes that eat my CPU performance (and make Firefox CPU hungry) and tank my battery performance.

1Password Version: 8.7.0
Extension Version: 2.3.3
OS Version: 12.3

Comments

• MikeT
    Options

Hi @sentros,

Thanks for reporting this. This is absolutely not a normal thing, we're having a hard time reproducing this but we have a few teammates who has just started to see this issue. We're looking into it right now to get this addressed ASAP.

Can you email us your diagnostics report, so we can see if there's anything on your side that's in common with our teammates that could quickly pinpoint this down.

1. Open and unlock the main 1Password app (it doesn't need to be unlocked but it can help)
    2. Go to 1Password menu > Preferences... or press Command + Comma
    3. Select the Advanced tab and then click Send Diagnostics. Note that this does not include any private data, just settings and logs from 1Password, which does not collect any sensitive information by default
    4. Select the Reveal option and attach the .1pdiagnostics file to your email to 1Password Support at support+forum@1password.com

5. In your email, please also include:

Please let us know as soon as you sent it, so we can look for that email.

Thank you!

ref: https://gitlab.1password.io/dev/core/core/-/issues/13983

• sentros
    sentros
    Community Member
    edited March 2022
    Options

Hi @MikeT

Sent diagnostics and added firefox addon logs as well.

Got reference ID [#XEB-57293-463]

• chernecov
    chernecov
    Community Member
    Options

Have the same issue for few months, not a new issue.
    It easy to reproduce: open some website - and start refreshing... using M1, and Macbook becomes hot and slow.

I even consider rejecting using 1password (I like it very much, except this bug) for our company :(

• MikeT
    Options

Hi folks,

@sentros, thanks, we got the report and replied to your email.

@chernecov, I did just that and I have a MacBook Air M1 and it doesn't happen for me. We have a lot of M1 devices in our company and we've only just got one confirmed report a few days ago seeing this. The slightly good news is that we think we may have a way to reproduce and may have a fix soon.

For now, I don't see your previous comments here, can I ask if you can send us your diagnostics report or if you already did, share your support ID, so I can look it up and see the latest info we have?

• dirkdude
    dirkdude
    Community Member
    Options

I'm having the same issue today. I don't always have it as far as I'm aware. I have a diagnostics report. How shall I send it to you?

• Hi @dirkdude:

Please attach it to an email addressed to support+forum@1password.com. Include your username dirkdude and a link to this thread https://1password.community/discussion/128409/1password-spawning-new-high-cpu-consuming-processes-with-the-firefox-extension#latest.

You'll receive a reply from BitBot with a support ID that looks like [#ABC-12345-678]. Post that here, and we'll be able to locate your message to us. Thanks!

Jack

• dirkdude
    dirkdude
    Community Member
    Options

Here's the support ID: [#VRW-31451-614]
    Thanks.

• Joy_1P
    Joy_1P
    1Password Alumni
    Options

Hey @dirkdude, I replied to your ticket when you sent it in. I hope that things are going well. If you need further help, please let us know.

• dirkdude
    dirkdude
    Community Member
    Options

So far no other issues (that I can attribute to 1Password).

This discussion has been closed.