Unable to downgrade from Beta to Production

I've set my Release Channel to "Production" however no matter what I keep getting Beta builds.

Obviously I can't just download the Production release because the database is using a newer revision that the Beta was using, but it would be nice if I could downgrade as future Production builds come out instead of being forever stuck in Beta land.

1Password Version: 8.8.0 - 80800156
Extension Version: Not Provided
OS Version: macOS 12.4

Comments

• robd003
    robd003
    Community Member

I set the Release Channel to Production 3+ months ago, but I'm still stuck getting new Beta releases.

• Hi @robd003:

Great question. While you can definitely stay on the production release channel and you'll receive the next production release when we release it (currently the latest production release for macOS is 8.7.1), if you'd like to change release channels now, you can follow the steps here to reset your 1Password data: How to reset the 1Password app on a specific device

After resetting the 1Password app, download the production app from here: https://1password.com/downloads/mac/

Let me know how you get on with that!

Jack

• esquared
    esquared
    Community Member

I'm sorry, but why do I have to reset my 1Password data just to return to the Production channel? There is a setting directly in the preferences that allows me to pick between Production, Beta, and Nightlies. If that doesn't work as implied, then this is clearly a bug.

• Hi @esquared:

Because we may make changes to database specifics between builds that first start in nightly, make it to beta, then production. Changing the installed version could potentially result in data loss. In short, the release channel setting is controlling the channel for the next update installed newer than the current version. For example, switching from nightly to beta wouldn't install any more nightly releases, but would wait until the next beta release was available to install. Similarly, switching from beta to production won't happen until the next production release occurs.

Jack

• esquared
    esquared
    Community Member

Thank you for the information - makes total sense. Minor suggestion - put a tool-tip, or pop-up explaining this if someone changes that setting.

• robd003
    robd003
    Community Member

@Jack.P_1P isn't it a little odd that I'm still getting beta releases? I switched to the Production channel so shouldn't I be stuck in limbo until the Production release hits 8.8.0 or above?

It seems like I'm on an infinite loop of beta updates even though I've switched to the Production channel.

Could you please look into why after switching a release channel it seems to have no effect?

• @robd003

You would continue to receive beta updates until the next production release. That's by design. If you'd like to switch immediately there is a path to that but it would require manually uninstalling, reinstalling, and potentially deleting the local database. If you'd like to further investigate that option I'd encourage you to reach out to our team at support@1password.com so we can see what steps you'd need to take to avoid data loss. Beyond that the recommended path here is to hold out for the next production update.

Ben

• Lee_B
    Lee_B
    Community Member

I agree with esquared about the information. The current process makes complete sense when you explain it, but it's different to what I believe is the expected behaviour for most users. Maybe something like

If installed release = beta & release channel = production then display

Note you are currently on a Beta release. You will continue to receive Beta updates until the next production release at which time 1password will automatically switch to the production channel. If you need to revert now see instructions here

And I say this acknowledging you already have a long backlog :)

• Thank you @Lee_B, we appreciate your perspective on this. 👋 I have filed it with our developers accordingly, and a vote for that feature on your behalf! Many thanks

ref: IDEA-I-1325

• julsssark
    julsssark
    Community Member
    edited July 2022

There is a bug with changing to the production channel. I was on the beta channel for 8.8 but I switched to the production channel well over a month ago. When 8.8 was released, my about screen continued to show the beta information. This morning I was upgraded to 8.9 BETA. I've confirmed that my preferences are still set to the production channel.

juls

• Hi @julsssark

I'd like to ask you to create a diagnostics report from your device. This report will include the updater logs, so we can see what logic it applied (or tried to apply):

Sending Diagnostics Reports

Attach the diagnostics to an email message addressed to support+forum@1password.com.

With your email please include:

You should receive an automated reply from our BitBot assistant with a Support ID number. Please post that number here. Thanks very much!

Ben

• julsssark
    julsssark
    Community Member
    edited July 2022

Thanks Ben. Done. [#AUG-76494-114]

• @julsssark

Thanks I see your report. I have asked the development team to take a look. I'll follow up via email now that we have your logs.

ref: AUG-76494-114

• julsssark
    julsssark
    Community Member

Thanks for fixing the bug! I was automatically moved to the production channel today when 8.9.4 was installed.

juls

PS -- You have the best forum-based support I have seen.

This discussion has been closed.